The General Chat Thread (2024)?

Sorry for bragging lol :laugh: but it's a fact!

I envy your hair. I used to have loads of really thick long hair but then it started to thin. In particular the menopause really affected it and in the last few years its got thinner and thinner. I can style it to look 'OK' but I rarely feel its a good hair day these days. :(

I envy your hair. I used to have loads of really thick long hair but then it started to thin. In particular the menopause really affected it and in the last few years its got thinner and thinner. I can style it to look 'OK' but I rarely feel its a good hair day these days. :(
Sorry to hear it! :hug: Maybe extensions would cheer you up? Might give you the feeling that you have ' your' hair back.

Sorry to hear it! :hug: Maybe extensions would cheer you up? Might give you the feeling that you have ' your' hair back.

I do have some clip in 'real hair' extensions which I dyed the same red I use on my hair. They work quite well. I haven't been to a hairdresser for over 40 years.

Last time I was at a hairdresser it was for my (late) grandfather's 60th birthday. I had my really long and very thick red hair permed. Within a week over half had fallen out and more was to follow. It's about a quarter of what it used to be. I used to need 2 hands to hold it in a pony tail. Now the smallest diameter bobbles I can buy still wrap around the hair 3 times. :cry:

Last time I was at a hairdresser it was for my (late) grandfather's 60th birthday. I had my really long and very thick red hair permed. Within a week over half had fallen out and more was to follow. It's about a quarter of what it used to be. I used to need 2 hands to hold it in a pony tail. Now the smallest diameter bobbles I can buy still wrap around the hair 3 times. :cry:
I guess that's because you're on the same type of meds as I am? It can have that effect too, I'm sorry that happened to you :hug:

I guess that's because you're on the same type of meds as I am? It can have that effect too, I'm sorry that happened to you :hug:
No, it was to do with the perm and the chemicals used. Because my hair was so thick and wirey, the hairdresser did the perm with more chemicals and for much longer than normal because he didn't think it would take otherwise. The result was that my hair fell out in handfuls and as I brushed my hair huge lumps just came out sadly.

Nowadays, it is thicker than it was 8 years ago which is good. The red has faded to dark brown occasionally chestnut coloured, but as of yet, no grey or white, so I guess that's one good thing. Hubby has been going grey/silver since he was 18!

I just got scammed at a new greengrocer I went to in my village today. I am stunned! 😕

Now, the place where I live is known to have a lot of xenophobic people, but I am related to people here even though I look 'strange' to some of them. Bear that in mind when I tell you this.

I went to this store because they have a lot of fresh produce, straight from the greenhouses. The best available and the biggest selection (I usually go to another with a smaller selection) . When I got to the till the owner was there and without looking at my stuff said 'that will be 50 euros please' as a so-called joke. I ignored it and proceded to tell him what it was. I had looked at the prices while shopping, but am not good at maths so I estimated about it would be about 15 euros. It was 22.50, on the high side but I accepted it.
But that remark felt wrong, and I asked my husband who's a Master of Science to re-calculate it with me. It turned out to be 18.50 instead of 22.50!:scratchhead:

Last edited:
I just got scammed at a new greengrocer I went to in my village today. I am stunned! 😕
That’s terrible! That’d be the last time I go there. 😡

We used to have something similar happen in Europe during the Christmas markets…they’d always shortchange us, which was never for more than a 50 cents or so in Germany, and the hotel concierge had warned us and said it was more like a little game they liked to play with tourists.

But in a couple of other countries, a lot of the people working the booths would try and give us our change back in a different currency than we’d paid in (we always paid in whatever the local currency was), and say they’d give a good exchange rate, then miscalculate grossly in their favor.

That’s terrible! That’d be the last time I go there. 😡

We used to have something similar happen in Europe during the Christmas markets…they’d always shortchange us, which was never for more than a 50 cents or so in Germany, and the hotel concierge had warned us and said it was more like a little game they liked to play with tourists.

But in a couple of other countries, a lot of the people working the booths would try and give us our change back in a different currency than we’d paid in (we always paid in whatever the local currency was), and say they’d give a good exchange rate, then miscalculate grossly in their favor.
That's awful, but it doesn't surprise me entirely. Anti-immigration sentiment is on the rise everywhere in Europe, and that’s extending to tourism. This is why we can't have nice things on this planet 🙄

It was the first time I went to this place, and also indeed the last time.

My oldest chook has just died. She was somewhere between 11 and 12 years old. She came to us in August 2016 retired from breeding. RIP JJ.
Very sorry, SatNav. You take such good care of them, evidenced by their long lives. I hope she gets a special little resting place of honor.

Very sorry, SatNav. You take such good care of them, evidenced by their long lives. I hope she gets a special little resting place of honor.
Thanks, but sadly no. She can't be buried in the garden because it attracts foxes endangering the rest of the flock. Right now she's double bagged in the freezer. Sounds harsh, but that's what happens to humans as well only we call it something different! She died in my arms. I had been going to ring the vets today to euthanase her, but she beat me to it. I'll miss her inquisitiveness. She watched everything and would be over with you the moment you were in the garden. It didn't matter if you were cooking logs on the chopping block, or chasing the lawnmower, she'd be there watching you, waiting for a worm.

The next oldest is 8-9 years old we think. Lily came to us just over 6 years ago and was 2-3 yrs old then. She's the one who has met me at the road on one occasion. That's a good ¼km away from the house. A long distance to roam for a chook.

Back
Top Bottom