The General Chat Thread (2024)?

Glad you aren't affected by any weather related mood swings.
Oh, but I am - I just get it in the summer.

Lest that sound like a joke, I mentioned to my doc years ago, just in passing, that I must be some kind of anomaly, because everyone else gets Seasonal Affective Disorder in winter, and I get it in the summer.

His response was, “It’s Seasonal Affective Disorder, not Winter Affective Disorder, seasonal changes affect people differently.”

On bright, hot, sunny summer days, I probably have a headache, slightly sick to my stomach if I’m outside too long, and generally moody and short-tempered (well, more so than my usual). That’s why I try and stay inside as much as possible in the A/C in the summer, and like to go on vacation in the winter.

MrsT, of course, is the opposite. :laugh:

Lest that sound like a joke, I mentioned to my doc years ago, just in passing, that I must be some kind of anomaly, because everyone else gets Seasonal Affective Disorder in winter, and I get it in the summer.

His response was, “It’s Seasonal Affective Disorder, not Winter Affective Disorder, seasonal changes affect people differently.”

On bright, hot, sunny summer days, I probably have a headache, slightly sick to my stomach if I’m outside too long, and generally moody and short-tempered (well, more so than my usual). That’s why I try and stay inside as much as possible in the A/C in the summer, and like to go on vacation in the winter.

I vastly prefer winter over summer, and could have written this myself. But that is a cold winter. Not this rainy autumn mush we have here currently.

Fingers crossed for you! Because if it improves there, it improves here. The weather you have there is usually ours the next day (I know from living there and having relatives here).
It’s been lovely and sunny and warm!
But only for the south and Scotland, it’ll be a lucky dip as to what ends up where by the time it’s floated over to you, hopefully you’ll get the good stuff!

Me, too ..

But what I hate more is the response "no, but we've got gluten free" when asked if they have anything without dairy in it!
Yer 😂 I get that when I ask for gluten free they say we have dairy free or we have nut free.

Usually brownies and the worse brownie you've ever tasted, just a brown block of congealed fat and sugar.

I think they’re trying to demonstrate they made an effort 😂

Usually brownies and the worse brownie you've ever tasted, just a brown block of congealed fat and sugar.
They are the worst, aren't they? Which is such a shame because it's so easy to make a decent dairy free, gluten free brownie

The sun was out this morning and I suddenly felt light and fine. So it's definitely related, because that empty feeling is only there when it rains currently. I ignore it as much as possible but my chocolate drawer is a lot emptier
I eliminated all that good weather/bad weather feeling when I moved to Caracas. The average temperature, year round, is 25C. No-one talks about the weather, or cares about the weather, unless there's a particularly violent rainstorm. I mostly wear shorts and T-shirts, because there's no need for sweaters, overcoats, socks, more socks, scarves, hats, ear muffs, or anything like that.
Did it take a while to get used to the "heat"? Yes, about 6-8 months, but after that, just fine.

I eliminated all that good weather/bad weather feeling when I moved to Caracas. The average temperature, year round, is 25C. No-one talks about the weather, or cares about the weather, unless there's a particularly violent rainstorm. I mostly wear shorts and T-shirts, because there's no need for sweaters, overcoats, socks, more socks, scarves, hats, ear muffs, or anything like that.
Did it take a while to get used to the "heat"? Yes, about 6-8 months, but after that, just fine.
That's great! I'm glad for you.

But no other country is giving me a visa with my health conditions.

That's great! I'm glad for you.

But no other country is giving me a visa with my health conditions.
Good weather is nice but it's over rated, the sunshine's best when there's the contrast of the dark, and who doesn't like a cosy pub lunch or thick socks and a warm drink next to the fire?

who doesn't like a cosy pub lunch or thick socks and a warm drink next to the fire?
Me currently.

That time of life, coupled with the wood burning stove having been serviced by someone who actually knew what they were doing and cared, means it is now way more efficient than it has ever been. Even at night the temperature in the sitting room is dropping below 20°C.... during the day I've got the stove ticking over on minimum with the front door open and the temperature is still 21°C... I'm better at 18°C at the moment.

Can't have HRT, so all I can do is to keep taking off clothing when I'm in the sitting room, and putting it back on to go into any other room in the house. All unheated...

Tha
Me currently.

That time of life, coupled with the wood burning stove having been serviced by someone who actually knew what they were doing and cared, means it is now way more efficient than it has ever been. Even at night the temperature in the sitting room is dropping below 20°C.... during the day I've got the stove ticking over on minimum with the front door open and the temperature is still 21°C... I'm better at 18°C at the moment.

Can't have HRT, so all I can do is to keep taking off clothing when I'm in the sitting room, and putting it back on to go into any other room in the house. All unheated...
Thats sucks.
Until I started HRT I’d stand in front of a fan on full blast flapping my clothes like a penguin hoping for take off 😂
I suppose there’s some solace in knowing that it’s not forever 🤷‍♀️

Tha

Thats sucks.
Until I started HRT I’d stand in front of a fan on full blast flapping my clothes like a penguin hoping for take off 😂
I suppose there’s some solace in knowing that it’s not forever 🤷‍♀️
The Solace has yet to find me when my sweat is dripping off my elbows! My Dr has seen this and we are working on it, but we're very limited as to what I can have because of a single episode of multiple PEs plus osteoporosis (treated successfully but...) and then that darn dairy allergy which really affects the meds I can take.

Last edited:
The Solace has yet to find me when my sweat is dripping off my elbows! My Dr has seen this and we are working on it, but we're very limited as to what I can have because of a single episode of multiple PEs plus osteoporosis (treated successfully but...) and then that darn dairy allergy which really affects the meds I can take.
You have a lot of doors closed for you before you even reach them with that combo!

I'm the same and really find heat unbearable (although I do like a cool sunny Spring day). I do wish the light didn't go so early in Winter though.

Back
Top Bottom