The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not talk to my phone, or computer, or car.
I have cut the speaker wires on computers and cars that refused to comply with my demand they shut up.

I use a dash cowl mount for my cell phone to provide an 'almost' heads-up display for GPS. not even the billion dollar high end car models provide a heads-up GPS display.

As I mentioned, I use the "speech to text" on my iPhone all the time for text messages, and tell Siri to call people on my stored contacts list. Once you get the hang of it, there are very few mistakes. You have to speak clearly -- no mumbling.

I actually use Siri a lot. I check the outside temperature often. I ask for a weather forecast for the day, too. For this forum, I'll often ask what is XXX grams is in ounces. At night, I'll ask what the time is.

I also use the spoken directions on my GPS. Mine sits on top of the dash, so I can take quick looks at it, too. My GPS doesn't understand ME well at all, so I don't use spoken commands for it.

I need to start wearing my iWatch all the time. If I were to fall down the stairs, or had some other medical emergency, as long as my iPhone is within bluetooth range, or I am connected to my home wifi network, I can tell Siri on my watch to call 911. So, I'd be covered anywhere in my house or yard.

CD

As I mentioned, I use the "speech to text" on my iPhone all the time for text messages, and tell Siri to call people on my stored contacts list. Once you get the hang of it, there are very few mistakes. You have to speak clearly -- no mumbling.

I actually use Siri a lot. I check the outside temperature often. I ask for a weather forecast for the day, too. For this forum, I'll often ask what is XXX grams is in ounces. At night, I'll ask what the time is.

I also use the spoken directions on my GPS. Mine sits on top of the dash, so I can take quick looks at it, too. My GPS doesn't understand ME well at all, so I don't use spoken commands for it.

I need to start wearing my iWatch all the time. If I were to fall down the stairs, or had some other medical emergency, as long as my iPhone is within bluetooth range, or I am connected to my home wifi network, I can tell Siri on my watch to call 911. So, I'd be covered anywhere in my house or yard.

CD

I too worry about falling over or some random event to me without my phone. When I’m outside it’s on the couch downstairs.

Russ

Car maintenance today pending a day out in the weekend. Water topped up, auto trans filled up and oil needs a little but my container is not there. My fault,I need to get a 5 litre in the weekend.

Russ

Sony's newest camera, the A7IV
I've been waiting now for a while for Canon to update the Powershot G9X Mark II so I can also have a new toy. I'm still trying to decide what to do with my Canon EOS 5D Mk lll and 3 lenses (all Pro series) plus way too many filters adaptors, trigger releases, light sensors, tripod and so on. Currently it's too for me to use much at all with my bad back, crutches and so on.

I've been waiting now for a while for Canon to update the Powershot G9X Mark II so I can also have a new toy. I'm still trying to decide what to do with my Canon EOS 5D Mk lll and 3 lenses (all Pro series) plus way too many filters adaptors, trigger releases, light sensors, tripod and so on. Currently it's too for me to use much at all with my bad back, crutches and so on.
I would suggest switching to Sony for its more compact camera bodies... but I don't want you to take offense and kick me off your forum :roflmao:

I just watched the release announcement for Sony's newest camera, the A7IV, I am going to start saving money from now and maybe I can afford it by Christmas 2022 😅

That is a full-frame sensor camera. Will your current lenses be 100-pecent compatible?

61 megapixels is a bit over-the-top. You are going to have some huge photo files.

CD

I would suggest switching to Sony for its more compact camera bodies... but I don't want you to take offense and kick me off your forum :roflmao:

What's right for one, is not for another. My camera dealer talked me into an a6500, and I hated it. I sold it six months later.

That is a full-frame sensor camera. Will your current lenses be 100-pecent compatible?

61 megapixels is a bit over-the-top. You are going to have some huge photo files.

CD
33 megapixels. I am talking about the A7IV which was announced yesterday rather than the megapixel monster that is the A7RIV.
To answer your question though, using the camera in crop mode would allow me to use my current lenses but I'd only be getting 14mp out of that configuration which would be a step backwards. So yeah, I'd be selling most of my lenses in the upgrade.

True. I only meant it as a joke :okay:
I'd only taken it as a joke...

But the Sony Cybershot range and the Canon Powershot range are exceptionally similar and I know are is based on the other.

The Canon Powershot G9X Mk II is a very small compact camera capable of RAW format 20.9 Megapixel images. It's a handy genuine pocket size, not one of those pocket size cameras that is anything but pocket sized.
i'm just waiting for an update that is worth while rather than are that's simply because there's a newer model!

Two nights in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania before heading back to Ohio.

This hotel is older and is going through a refurb. The rooms have been done, now they're doing the exterior.

No suite, so no kitchenette :(

View from the window:

This is truly the narrowest wardrobe I've ever seen; it's six inches deep...for two people:

I was laughing at my wife because we stepped into the room, she looked around and said, "No sofa. That's it. Suites from now on! 😠"

Here's my hotel breakfast story:

I loathe the "free" hotel breakfasts, the kind that mid-level chain hotels in the US provide. They're all the same, with some combination of bagels/English muffins/toast, a self-serve waffle machine that looks like it's been ecto-plasamed after exactly three waffles, and some kind of egg thing; either reconstituted scrambled "eggs" or some sort of "gourmet" egg sandwich thing of slightly lesser quality than you'd find at a gas station. Maybe a bowl of fresh fruit and some little boxes of cold cereal.

If the food weren't bad enough, the people are worse. Hang a "free breakfast included" sign out, and people revert back to cave days, I swear. No combed hair, no washed face, still in pajamas, and going at the food like it's Animal House.

So, hotel breakfasts like that don't sway me to stay, but MrsT, natural born tightwad that she is, can't resist, and most of our driving vacations follow some kind of breakfast negotiation:

"Where should we eat for breakfast?"
"There's a diner a few miles away, but the hotel, you know, has free bre-"
"I'm not eating the hotel breakfast."
"Well, not every day, but maybe a couple of-"
"Nope."
"Ok, maybe just the day we leave, just to save time getting on the roa-"
"Not. Gonna. Happen."

Of course, that meant we had breakfast at the hotel this morning, since we were leaving today. :laugh:

Well, one of us had breakfast.

I snagged a table and watched her purse as she went up first. 10 minutes later, she came back with juice, a bowl of cereal, and a boiled egg (god only knows when that thing was actually boiled).

I looked, and it was like Grand Central Station at rush hour. No order, even though there was a sign telling people to line up and enter one side, get food, then exit the other side. Ha!

After about 10 minutes of watching, I thought I might be able to shoot the gap and possibly grab some unnamed foil-wrapped sandwich the staff kept loading into a hot display case...waiting...waiting...and a woman elbowed between a few people, stuck her entire arm in the display case, and swept the full contents, probably a dozen sandwiches, into a bag she brought just for that. Premeditated...that made it even worse.

At that point, I decided the grapes I had with me were going to have to do, but I couldn't tear myself away from the whole spectacle. This woman did her hamburglar act two more times. She held back, waited for the case to get filled, then swooped in like a thieving bird and snatched all the sandwiches! And the staff let her!

So I had grapes for breakfast, and when we stopped for a gas fill-up a couple of hours later, I had a fig Newton, of which my wife ate half, "because that cereal didn't fill me up."

Tell me about it. 😒

Here's my hotel breakfast story:

I loathe the "free" hotel breakfasts, the kind that mid-level chain hotels in the US provide. They're all the same, with some combination of bagels/English muffins/toast, a self-serve waffle machine that looks like it's been ecto-plasamed after exactly three waffles, and some kind of egg thing; either reconstituted scrambled "eggs" or some sort of "gourmet" egg sandwich thing of slightly lesser quality than you'd find at a gas station. Maybe a bowl of fresh fruit and some little boxes of cold cereal.

If the food weren't bad enough, the people are worse. Hang a "free breakfast included" sign out, and people revert back to cave days, I swear. No combed hair, no washed face, still in pajamas, and going at the food like it's Animal House.

So, hotel breakfasts like that don't sway me to stay, but MrsT, natural born tightwad that she is, can't resist, and most of our driving vacations follow some kind of breakfast negotiation:

"Where should we eat for breakfast?"
"There's a diner a few miles away, but the hotel, you know, has free bre-"
"I'm not eating the hotel breakfast."
"Well, not every day, but maybe a couple of-"
"Nope."
"Ok, maybe just the day we leave, just to save time getting on the roa-"
"Not. Gonna. Happen."

Of course, that meant we had breakfast at the hotel this morning, since we were leaving today. :laugh:

Well, one of us had breakfast.

I snagged a table and watched her purse as she went up first. 10 minutes later, she came back with juice, a bowl of cereal, and a boiled egg (god only knows when that thing was actually boiled).

I looked, and it was like Grand Central Station at rush hour. No order, even though there was a sign telling people to line up and enter one side, get food, then exit the other side. Ha!

After about 10 minutes of watching, I thought I might be able to shoot the gap and possibly grab some unnamed foil-wrapped sandwich the staff kept loading into a hot display case...waiting...waiting...and a woman elbowed between a few people, stuck her entire arm in the display case, and swept the full contents, probably a dozen sandwiches, into a bag she brought just for that. Premeditated...that made it even worse.

At that point, I decided the grapes I had with me were going to have to do, but I couldn't tear myself away from the whole spectacle. This woman did her hamburglar act two more times. She held back, waited for the case to get filled, then swooped in like a thieving bird and snatched all the sandwiches! And the staff let her!

So I had grapes for breakfast, and when we stopped for a gas fill-up a couple of hours later, I had a fig Newton, of which my wife ate half, "because that cereal didn't fill me up."

Tell me about it. 😒

I would have gone to her bag of sandwiches, reached in and grabbed one.

I generally avoid the free hotel breakfasts, too. However, I stayed in a Comfort Inn in Fredericksburg, Texas (serious German town) a few times, and they had all the ingredients for make-your-own breakfast tacos -- and they were good. Real scrambled eggs and all.

CD

CD

Last edited:
I would have gone to her bag of sandwiches, reached in and grabbed one.

I generally avoid the free hotel breakfasts, too. However, I stayed in a Comfort Inn in Fredericksburg, Texas (serious German town) a few times, and they had all the ingredients for make-your-own breakfast tacos -- and they were good. Real scrambled eggs and all.

CD

CD

I usually only eat breakfast when staying in hotels. I've had excellent breakfasts in Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Dewater (Bali) and Shanghai. Unfortunately some hotels in England and Australia were less than good and those in Europe were even worse. I don't remember having a breakfast in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom