The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have gone to her bag of sandwiches, reached in and grabbed one.

I generally avoid the free hotel breakfasts, too. However, I stayed in a Comfort Inn in Fredericksburg, Texas (serious German town) a few times, and they had all the ingredients for make-your-own breakfast tacos -- and they were good. Real scrambled eggs and all.

CD

CD
Here's the thing: I didn't want that crap breakfast sandwich to begin with, so I really wasn't too inclined to go to too much trouble to get one. I was just...disappointed in humanity, I guess, seeing people act that way. Depressing.

MrsT, OTOH, was ticked off royally, and I had to reel her in to keep her from kicking ass and taking...sandwiches. :laugh:

October 23 -- Autumn. Today it was 85F/30C and humid. A substantial South wind is bringing heat and moisture in from the Gulf of Mexico.

CD
...and the high here today was 61F, overcast, and rain.

Hotel Breakfast
George is a Platinum member of Holiday Inn properties. There is a large range of properties from plain Jane lucky if you get any kind of breakfast to really nice where you get a full restaurant breakfast. The worst are the low end breakfast - some kind of liquid eggs folded over plastic cheese - called an omelet. Greasy patties or links of pork sausage - emphasis on the grease. I ate that breakfast once and had runny shats for the rest of the day. Not fun at anytime but really bad when you are traveling. "Get off at the next exit!!" "Pull over now!!"
George has gotten the word that we will not stay in that kind of property. Seriously - it cost points not $.
So now we stay at nicer properties with full restaurant breakfast. Love it! I can order eggs over easy with toast or Bagel or Eggs Benedict with a side of Mimosa.

Hotel Breakfast
George is a Platinum member of Holiday Inn properties. There is a large range of properties from plain Jane lucky if you get any kind of breakfast to really nice where you get a full restaurant breakfast. The worst are the low end breakfast - some kind of liquid eggs folded over plastic cheese - called an omelet. Greasy patties or links of pork sausage - emphasis on the grease. I ate that breakfast once and had runny shats for the rest of the day. Not fun at anytime but really bad when you are traveling. "Get off at the next exit!!" "Pull over now!!"
George has gotten the word that we will not stay in that kind of property. Seriously - it cost points not $.
So now we stay at nicer properties with full restaurant breakfast. Love it! I can order eggs over easy with toast or Bagel or Eggs Benedict with a side of Mimosa.

Hotels with restaurants are rare these days. I mostly see them in downtown hotels in larger cities. There is a hotel I stay at on business sometimes that is right next door to a Waffle House. There is a joke I like...

Q: What does La Quinta mean in English?

A: Next to Denny's.

The Americans will get that. La Quinta is a hotel chain, and Denny's is a popular restaurant chain for breakfast. They are often located close together.

CD

Hotels with restaurants are rare these days. I mostly see them in downtown hotels in larger cities. There is a hotel I stay at on business sometimes that is right next door to a Waffle House. There is a joke I like...

Q: What does La Quinta mean in English?

A: Next to Denny's.

The Americans will get that. La Quinta is a hotel chain, and Denny's is a popular restaurant chain for breakfast. They are often located close together.

CD
There is a similar arrangement with Premiere Inn (UK) and whatever resturant is attached to it. I used to stay in them at lot when i had a company car and was deployed anywhere in the UK. I hated it because I never eat in the places they were usually attached to KFC or more usually Brewers Fayre. Breakfast isn't something they are good at , so I would always have my own cereal, milk, bowl and spoon and rely on the room having a kettle and fridge (company requirements and I'd argue very loudly with reception if those requirements were not met because I'd often be in the same room for 4 or 5 weeks at a time. )

Any time we're in this area around Gettysburg, we always make a point to stop here:

Two things from Mr. Ed's I don't want to try:

And what we bought:

That's a bag of candy up top, sold by weight, and I pulled out one piece of each so you can see what's in it.

You know MrsT and I love our Christmas, so whenever we're over this way, we stop at our favorite Christmas shop, The Christmas Haus.

We also bought display holders for those in case we can't fit them on the tree (a likely thing).

We also got this little Tyrolian hat and a favorite breakfast item.

Everything is glass from Germany (Inge Glas).

You know MrsT and I love our Christmas, so whenever we're over this way, we stop at our favorite Christmas shop, The Christmas Haus.

View attachment 73730

View attachment 73733View attachment 73731
We also bought display holders for those in case we can't fit them on the tree (a likely thing).

We also got this little Tyrolian hat and a favorite breakfast item.

View attachment 73732

Everything is glass from Germany (Inge Glas).

Interested in a Lladro nativity set or Lladro tree ornaments? I've got some for sale.

CD

Was the manager's name Wilbur?

CD
We were bummed to learn the founder and original owner died earlier this year. We met him the last time we were through here in 2013, and he was one of those larger-than-life born showmen.

It's still in the family, though - his granddaughter owns it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom