The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ve day banner.jpg

Welcomed rain today. Vertical rain, i.e. little wind to drive it into every nook and cranny. Also it has lowered the temperature to 27 degC which is nice.

The town's main reservoir has been very low.

reservoir.jpg

[A friend's image]

We also had some much needed rain yesterday though I'm not certain welcome was a word I'll use for it . Just over 4mm but it all helps. However the day never got into double digits for Celsius and today despite bright sunshine (now, it was dense fog/cloud until very recently) is still struggling to get up into double figures.
At least the that of snow overnight had been lifted from 1,000m to 1,300m but all that means is it could be wet and it will be cold . I'll leave the washing another day or two I think!

It's Liberation day for us, unfortunately I'm working the late shift so won't be able to take part, but the family are heading into town to celebrate.

Winston Churchill " and our dear Channel Islands are also to be freed today"

I think the Liberation monument is quite clever. All the events of Liberation day are arranged in a semicircle carved into granite. The central pillar is actually a gnomon and it is set so that on the 9th May the shadow points to the event that happened at that time.

https://movie.visitguernsey.com/evacuation.html

Liberation_monument_St_Peter_Port_Guernsey.jpg
libmon032.jpg

It's that time of year again. The May flies are out.

We have "Love Bugs". I must have had a couple thousand splattered on the front of my truck and windshield Tuesday from my trip north. I travel two major Hi-ways on this 6 hour round trip, I-95 and Florida's Turnpike. Trip up was in the dark, so no bugs. Trip back on I-95 is where the majority of the bugs were. I was really pi$$ed off as my wiper fluid went empty during that run.:devil: When I crossed over to the Turnpike, I stopped for gas and spent 20 minutes cleaning my windshield off. The front of the truck was hopeless. Almost no bugs on the Turnpike.:scratchhead:When I got home, it was tough work for my pressure washer to remove the encrusted bugs. If you don't get them of in a couple days, they can start destroying the paint. Good thing the local gas stations had wiper fluid and I had Pam spray at home for the front of the truck, cause I even had to drive further north yesterday. Hardly any bugs yesterday, go figure!

I know - it was the searing burning that drove me mad (to screaming point) - my ulcer was caused by veinous insufficiency. Still not healed after 8 months. Its only since I've forced myself to walk, walk, walk that it has improved and is now shrinking in size. Luckily I have a long open plan ground floor so I walk up and down as fast as I can from one end to the other for an hour at a time. I also walk outside when I can. I'm walking maybe 4 or 5 hours a day and cooking in between. Its amazing how it has worked.

I should walk more. They say "Sitting is the new smoking."

It's that time of year again. The May flies are out.
We get the Christmas bugs ,so called because of the month they come out and make the noise for. The first year we were here they were especially bad and layers of bug crap were everywhere . Even just getting the washing dry was hard because if it was put in the latter afternoon early evening (summer time ) it would get crapped on!

This year, new property, it was lotus that were the problem. Coming home was really difficult because they were concentrated really badly on the road we live on. Get off the top and they were much thinner and far fewer. If you hit one and it splatted on the windscreen you had to clean it off before it dried otherwise it just didn't come off without a scraper. Hard to keep up with when the swarm was that bad that they were triggering the automatic windscreen wipers (which just smeared them across the windscreen making the situation worse no better.) thankfully they are now gone and we're back to the joys of gravel roads and no being able to see when you pass another vehicle and the competition to see if you can get the windows up in time not to get a faceful of choking dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom