The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tad different here. The north of the state has major bush fires going on at the moment. 150,000 hectares (325,000 acres) gone in single fire, homes lost and people unaccounted for. It's nasty up there and up there isn't that far away (500km). The closest fire is in the Blue Mountains not fat from where one of our (now inactive) members lives Frizz1974 and less than 150km away from here. Fingers crossed that the weather is better tomorrow for the fire fighters.

We on the other hand had another day of high winds, just like the north. But we also had rain, sleet and snow, thunder, sunshine and plummeting temperatures. It's 2°C outside right now and the night isn't over. The fire stayed lit all day. I think it will be until Monday. Then it's out as quickly as possible.

It is a shame that Frizz1974 is now inactive, people move on.

I had to dig out my large pot and steamer insert in order to make something yesterday, and putting it back this morning, I saw a box tucked way in the back corner of the cupboard.

I pulled that out and found it was a Pampered Chef nonstick cake pan, with an insert for making checkerboard cakes. Never opened.

I hopped online and watched a couple of videos on using it, and...I set the cake pan to the side and threw away the insert. No way in hell would I ever use that thing, and it looked a right mess.

Darn freezing this morning 0°C and a layer of ice! Not ideal and I have to surrender my dog cage for a broody chook... means my seedlings have to move to the veg plot which is even more exposed.

Thanks. 2 years ago the bush fires got to within 10km of us . That's ½ hr burning time from our home. Twice in the UK, we had moorland fires get to within 25m of our home. The fire brigade then (as now) were amazing. Both times we were evacuated, once for 5 days!

One thing is very certain, it's going to be a really bad fire season this year. It is already the worst in a very long time in this state and we didn't get anywhere near the rainfall that we should have done this last winter.

We have a friend over from ozzy, Ulladulla actually, he's in the ses fire team and wishing he was back home helping.

Russ

Welp... bought a new cooker last week. It's a Hotpoint. Good news: it's arriving some time next week.. Bad news: even though it could have arrived the same week it had been bought, there's a shortage of CORGI engineers, and can only be set up by Hotpoint itself, and not just any engineer. In other words, it would arrive on one day, and would have to sit downstairs for well over a week. Then someone would arrive later to install it, and then someone else would arrive even later to connect the ruddy pipe and chain. So, like, what happened to the "delivery and installation in five days".... Egads.... :facepalm:

Grey day here, bit cold for the garden, so horse racing today. (Watching) family coming for dinner later. Steak sandwhiches requested for tonight.

Russ

We have a friend over from ozzy, Ulladulla actually, he's in the ses fire team and wishing he was back home helping.

Russ
He will be. We've got major issues coming up. Tuesday looks really bad. We're being escalated to severe on the fire tasting but where our friends live is being raised to catastrophic (the highest level). That's not good. Schools closed, stay away from rural or bush areas, keep to city centers etc. Our friends live on the very outskirts of Sydney, their son is in the blue mountains where one of the major fires is, so they can't go there.

Dangerous fire conditions forecast for Tuesday 12 November - NSW Rural Fire Service

Thank you ever so much. It is really appreciated and will make the year end costs much easier. (All the domain renewals and core forum support costs fall before 31st December)

Last edited:
Welp... bought a new cooker last week. It's a Hotpoint. Good news: it's arriving some time next week.. Bad news: even though it could have arrived the same week it had been bought, there's a shortage of CORGI engineers, and can only be set up by Hotpoint itself, and not just any engineer. In other words, it would arrive on one day, and would have to sit downstairs for well over a week. Then someone would arrive later to install it, and then someone else would arrive even later to connect the ruddy pipe and chain. So, like, what happened to the "delivery and installation in five days".... Egads.... :facepalm:

How frustrating. But it will be great to see what you bake in the new oven once its installed, Mewmew.

When you are pottering around upstairs, see something and think-we need to buy some more of that next time we go shopping-come downstairs look at the shopping list and have absolutely no idea what it is you want :scratchhead:

How frustrating. But it will be great to see what you bake in the new oven once its installed, Mewmew.
I hope so. :)

Argh. My broody chook (Stone is her name) had decided that eating her eggs is a much better option than sitting on them. She had broken 2 of them on Saturday which I put down to the rest of the flock disturbing her whilst we were out. (We were out for longer than expected and the timer door let them out before we got home). So I had given her the benefit of doubt and let her remain sitting on eggs, though I had reduced the number she had to 4 real and 2 wooden. Today however she ate another 2. Her sister is now sitting on 14. I can only hope that before long another chook goes broody and I can take 6 off her (Pebbles, there's a 3rd called Rock, they are identical so have leg bands).
But it leaves me with a broody chook who can't be trusted with eggs and an egg eater. The question now is she can even be returned to tbe rest of the flock once no longer broody because if she continues eating eggs, she'll have to be rehomed. :(

It also means that if no other chickens become broody before the eggs hatch, I'll be hand raising 6-8 chickens because unless something disastrous happens, I've now got too many chicks for 1 mum to cope with.

Argh. My broody chook (Stone is her name) had decided that eating her eggs is a much better option than sitting on them. She had broken 2 of them on Saturday which I put down to the rest of the flock disturbing her whilst we were out. (We were out for longer than expected and the timer door let them out before we got home). So I had given her the benefit of doubt and let her remain sitting on eggs, though I had reduced the number she had to 4 real and 2 wooden. Today however she ate another 2. Her sister is now sitting on 14. I can only hope that before long another chook goes broody and I can take 6 off her (Pebbles, there's a 3rd called Rock, they are identical so have leg bands).
But it leaves me with a broody chook who can't be trusted with eggs and an egg eater. The question now is she can even be returned to tbe rest of the flock once no longer broody because if she continues eating eggs, she'll have to be rehomed. :(

It also means that if no other chickens become broody before the eggs hatch, I'll be hand raising 6-8 chickens because unless something disastrous happens, I've now got too many chicks for 1 mum to cope with.
Crikey! I didn't know hens ate their eggs! :ohmy:

C1E7EC04-BA96-4D3E-B4B9-73B49C262419.jpeg

Good morning from Michigan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom