The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, been a cfew colder days here as well but I had to smile this morning. I had parked my backside down on a brick wall surrounding a flowerbed at a roundabout. I was hot, bothered, wearing my sun hat, short shelved t-shirt and long trousers with my boots on. I was seriously regretting my attire when a lady in her 60s walked by and commented on it being a cold day with a chilly wind. Not sure how to respond I just replied that I was from the UK, Scotland in particular and was a touch warm. Still wanting me to agree it was a 'biting wind' (it wasn't) she asked how long we'd been here. 3½ years I replied. 'You'll soon get used to it' was her response as she carried on her way.

The fire close to our old home is slowly running its course but has lept to 25,500 hectares in size. The entire national park has gone and to a lot of the farm land on the other side of the mountain to the one we lived on.

There's another much more serious fire at the coast as well. It was just the national park there but this week has leapt in size from 17,000 hectares to a massive 45,000 hectares. I think when it crossed the Prince's Highway, (the A1) which runs up the coast pretty much the entire east side of Australia (it might go further, I don't know) anyhow when it crossed the road, they just decided to let it burn in the areas where there was no properties to lose and concentrated on saving the towns along the coast.

But was has burnt down here is nothing compared to northern NSW. not good at all. It's going to be a very bad season.

The fire close to our old home is slowly running its course but has lept to 25,500 hectares in size. The entire national park has gone and to a lot of the farm land on the other side of the mountain to the one we lived on.

There's another much more serious fire at the coast as well. It was just the national park there but this week has leapt in size from 17,000 hectares to a massive 45,000 hectares
Overnight the fires have been revised in size 27½ thousands hectares and a massive 54 thousand hectares.

We're having to keep a closer eye on things again because a new fire has occurred and this one is only 30km away from home. At the moment it is 'being controlled' but the conditions today are going to be bad with very low humidity, high winds and high temperatures. We've already had warnings and total fire bans for today and tbe fire rating is severe...

Overnight the fires have been revised in size 27½ thousands hectares and a massive 54 thousand hectares.

We're having to keep a closer eye on things again because a new fire has occurred and this one is only 30km away from home. At the moment it is 'being controlled' but the conditions today are going to be bad with very low humidity, high winds and high temperatures. We've already had warnings and total fire bans for today and tbe fire rating is severe...
Keep yourselves safe!

Ooohhh.... a bit of gossip

Next to the factory is a couple of units then a house. The house has just been raided, 2 people taken out in handcuffs, the police were removing bags of weed and growing equipment, the electricity guy is there now reconnecting the bypassed meter :ohmy:

Ooohhh.... a bit of gossip

Next to the factory is a couple of units then a house. The house has just been raided, 2 people taken out in handcuffs, the police were removing bags of weed and growing equipment, the electricity guy is there now reconnecting the bypassed meter :ohmy:

My sister lives in a nice, gated community. Two young men bought the house across the street. She said they were very nice guys -- very friendly.

One day, she came home from work, and the street was full of "black Suburbans" and a few local police cars.

The guys had pretty much gutted the house, and filled it with hydroponic growing equipment. They must have figured a somewhat upscale gated community would be a good place to set up a weed farm.

BTW, for those not from here, "black Suburbans" means Federal agents of some sort -- that's what they drive. In this case, probably DEA.

CD

My sister lives in a nice, gated community. Two young men bought the house across the street. She said they were very nice guys -- very friendly.

One day, she came home from work, and the street was full of "black Suburbans" and a few local police cars.

The guys had pretty much gutted the house, and filled it with hydroponic growing equipment. They must have figured a somewhat upscale gated community would be a good place to set up a weed farm.

BTW, for those not from here, "black Suburbans" means Federal agents of some sort -- that's what they drive. In this case, probably DEA.

CD

I knew what you meant straight away. We just had a few people arrested for a grow house underground, nothing visible on the ground. I believe it's several thousand sq metres? It's huge I've been told. Weed grows well on the moist west coast. Lots of hippies over there.

Russ

CD

I knew what you meant straight away. We just had a few people arrested for a grow house underground, nothing visible on the ground. I believe it's several thousand sq metres? It's huge I've been told. Weed grows well on the moist west coast. Lots of hippies over there.

Russ

We don't have 'black suburban' round these parts just cars and vans clearly marked Police, in some cases eciloP

Questions had been raised about a young couple living there and how they managed to afford 2 expensive cars...now we know.

We don't have 'black suburban' round these parts just cars and vans clearly marked Police, in some cases eciloP

We have ambulances here signed "ECNALUBMA" but God knows why - anyone who can't spot an ambulance with red, white and yellow chevrons and flashing red, yellow and blue lights all over it probably cannot read English anyway!

Last edited:
The most excitement that way was with our previous neighbors. Besides engaging in a variety of illegal activity, the boyfriend was stupid enough to tell everyone, and not in a bragging way, just in a "this is what I did today" way.

As soon as they moved in, he told me and another neighbor that he'd "helped himself" to several loads of premium flat paving rocks that were piled behind the house that butted up against his property: "Awwww, they weren't using them, heh-heh-heh."

Then I caught him siphoning gas out of another neighbor's car early one morning: "I ran out of gas, I was going to pay for it!" Mmmm-hmmm, sure...

A few months after that, he let me know that he could get me "a lot of different kinds of tools for cheap," - he worked for an HVAC company and was shortly after that fired for...stealing tools from work and selling them.

Then came the 3AM raid and handcuff walk, for selling pills (we're close to ground zero for the opioid problem in the US). Never saw him again and the house went up for sale immediately.

Questions had been raised about a young couple living there and how they managed to afford 2 expensive cars...now we know.
The flash cars are always a giveaway.

Russ

The most excitement that way was with our previous neighbors. Besides engaging in a variety of illegal activity, the boyfriend was stupid enough to tell everyone, and not in a bragging way, just in a "this is what I did today" way.

As soon as they moved in, he told me and another neighbor that he'd "helped himself" to several loads of premium flat paving rocks that were piled behind the house that butted up against his property: "Awwww, they weren't using them, heh-heh-heh."

Then I caught him siphoning gas out of another neighbor's car early one morning: "I ran out of gas, I was going to pay for it!" Mmmm-hmmm, sure...

A few months after that, he let me know that he could get me "a lot of different kinds of tools for cheap," - he worked for an HVAC company and was shortly after that fired for...stealing tools from work and selling them.

Then came the 3AM raid and handcuff walk, for selling pills (we're close to ground zero for the opioid problem in the US). Never saw him again and the house went up for sale immediately.
Good Lord.....! :ohmy:

No nice sunrise this morning, the smoke from the fires is too thick. But I did see it turn the moon blood red last night around midnight. What it does mean is that I'm house bound as in can't go out even to deal with a problem with a chick, until the wind (currently none) shifts it on as it did late yesterday afternoon. Grr.
I may be able to get some more eggs pickled today. We have 14 dozen right now despite have 2 (potentially 3) chooks who are broody and not laying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom