The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came off of five strait 10-hour cork days. I'm too old for that $#!*. Climbing in and out of really old cars is not easy. Especially hot rods and old British cars. That, ad getting up and down from the ground because I like to photograph many cars from a low angle, has left me very sore. I should finish tomorrow, if the owner of the cars doesn't change the list, again. It was supposed to be a three day assignment, but it is now looking like six days. I charge by the day, so at least I'm making money. He owns about 600 classic cars, so he has the money.

I slept until just after noon. I am currently making a gumbo, while also processing images in Photoshop -- and drinking beer. :drink:

CD

Just came off of five strait 10-hour cork days. I'm too old for that $#!*. Climbing in and out of really old cars is not easy. Especially hot rods and old British cars. That, ad getting up and down from the ground because I like to photograph many cars from a low angle, has left me very sore. I should finish tomorrow, if the owner of the cars doesn't change the list, again. It was supposed to be a three day assignment, but it is now looking like six days. I charge by the day, so at least I'm making money. He owns about 600 classic cars, so he has the money.

I slept until just after noon. I am currently making a gumbo, while also processing images in Photoshop -- and drinking beer. :drink:

CD

I reckon you deserve it. Give that man a beer. That sure is a big collection of cars. It really is amazing what people have stored away in sheds and barns etc.

Russ

I reckon you deserve it. Give that man a beer. That sure is a big collection of cars. It really is amazing what people have stored away in sheds and barns etc.

Russ

His cars are not stored away in sheds and barns. They are in climate controlled warehouses, and he has a staff of about five people who work full time to keep them clean and in good condition. I don't think he is a billionaire, but he's probably close.

Without seeing some tax returns, it is hard to know what somebody is really worth. A person could claim to be worth, oh, let's say ten billion dollars, but refuse to back it up with some tax returns. I should probably leave it at that. :wink:

CD

His cars are not stored away in sheds and barns. They are in climate controlled warehouses, and he has a staff of about five people who work full time to keep them clean and in good condition. I don't think he is a billionaire, but he's probably close.

Without seeing some tax returns, it is hard to know what somebody is really worth. A person could claim to be worth, oh, let's say ten billion dollars, but refuse to back it up with some tax returns. I should probably leave it at that. :wink:

CD

I grew up in a poor working class area. There was a neighbour about 10 houses away, no house just sheds, I didn't know at the time but owners had a huge section which covered about 6 normal sections. In my teens we went "exploring" in the sheds, we got in somehow?? It was full of bentleys and rolls royces. Knowing what I know now the vehicles were worth a fortune. The two guys that owned them were bachelors, living with their mum. I often wonder what happened to those cars??

Russ

Not impressed. Last night didn't drop below 20°C. That means only one thing for today...
:heat: :heat: :heat: :sun::sun::sun:

It's just gone 8:30am and it's nearly 30°C already.

Ignore the 'forecast' that says clouds and rain. I have no idea how it decides these things but it is rarely correct here in the southern hemisphere despite being on the 'south' setting.

Time to put my head down in a vague attempt at some sleep before it hits much hotter temperatures. (That's when I'll retreat to a cold shower and come back to bed with a wet bath towel on me. It's all I can do to stay cool. The fridge is full of water, so's the freezer. I've a frozen watermelon for the chooks for later to help them with the heat and they have already been released for the day to find a cool spot to sleep in. Mum and the chicks plus my broody sitting on eggs are the only exception and there is really nothing more we can do for them that we haven't already done. I'll soak some rugs later and drape them over the cage to help cool them down but I'm out of ideas after that. They'll get frozen watermelon as well and I'll add a few frozen bottles of water to their cage floor so they can sit close to or on if they want but usually they ignore them.

Not impressed. Last night didn't drop below 20°C. That means only one thing for today...
:heat: :heat: :heat: :sun::sun::sun:

It's just gone 8:30am and it's nearly 30°C already.
View attachment 35554

Ignore the 'forecast' that says clouds and rain. I have no idea how it decides these things but it is rarely correct here in the southern hemisphere despite being on the 'south' setting.

Time to put my head down in a vague attempt at some sleep before it hits much hotter temperatures. (That's when I'll retreat to a cold shower and come back to bed with a wet bath towel on me. It's all I can do to stay cool. The fridge is full of water, so's the freezer. I've a frozen watermelon for the chooks for later to help them with the heat and they have already been released for the day to find a cool spot to sleep in. Mum and the chicks plus my broody sitting on eggs are the only exception and there is really nothing more we can do for them that we haven't already done. I'll soak some rugs later and drape them over the cage to help cool them down but I'm out of ideas after that. They'll get frozen watermelon as well and I'll add a few frozen bottles of water to their cage floor so they can sit close to or on if they want but usually they ignore them.

Rather you than me... its a nice 24 C in the house here and a pleasant 9 C today outside (cold but not too cold). I do feel very lucky to live where I am in Kent. Its rare to get extremes here. We moan when the wind gets up a bit...

Rather you than me... its a nice 24 C in the house here and a pleasant 9 C today outside (cold but not too cold). I do feel very lucky to live where I am in Kent. Its rare to get extremes here. We moan when the wind gets up a bit...
You have anything growing in the garden at present?

Russ

I grew up in a poor working class area. There was a neighbour about 10 houses away, no house just sheds, I didn't know at the time but owners had a huge section which covered about 6 normal sections. In my teens we went "exploring" in the sheds, we got in somehow?? It was full of bentleys and rolls royces. Knowing what I know now the vehicles were worth a fortune. The two guys that owned them were bachelors, living with their mum. I often wonder what happened to those cars??

Russ

The car collector's dream... Barn Finds.I was sitting behind a friend who collects, restores and sells classics on a flight to Indiana. As we were approaching for landing, I leaned forward and said, "Hey Dennis, look at all those barns down there." He got a good laugh.

There is actually a YouTube show produced by Haggerty Classic Car Insurance called Barn Find Hunter. Look it up. It is amazing what is tucked away in old barns and buildings.

CD

It was 64F this morning here, it is now 52F late in the afternoon. There is an ice storm watch for early tomorrow morning. North Texas is like that in winter. I have gone to work in the morning in a short sleeve shirt, and come home in a snow storm.

CD

In the last week, I have had the flush valves on two of my toilets go bad. I have one working toilet left. I need some time off to go to the hardware store for new flush valves. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

CD

The car collector's dream... Barn Finds.I was sitting behind a friend who collects, restores and sells classics on a flight to Indiana. As we were approaching for landing, I leaned forward and said, "Hey Dennis, look at all those barns down there." He got a good laugh.

There is actually a YouTube show produced by Haggerty Classic Car Insurance called Barn Find Hunter. Look it up. It is amazing what is tucked away in old barns and buildings.

CD

Yeah, I've seen a few in car sites.

Russ

10:30am and it has passed 35°C. It's still only 23°C indoors but by this afternoon and into the evening it will match the outside temperature.

It's the extremes at this time of year that are so hard to deal with, humans, animals (birds included etc) and plants alike.

Every spare drop of water is collected and stored until evening when I can get it onto the plants that need it. I can't water during the day or even after 7am because the solar heat and the UV rays are so very fierce. The first rays this morning had both of us commenting on their warmth. Usually it doesn't start to get that warm until later (passed 8am that is). Any drops of water on leaves act as magnifying glasses for the sun and actually burn the leaves of what had been watered, so I water last thing at night, after I have locked up the chooks and just before insect life gets too active. It gives plants chance to absorb the water and use it before the heat of the next day. Soapy water is totally fine for most of my plants. Flowers it isn't a problem for and anything not yet bearing 'fruit'. Once they start to produce a crop I try to keep the water as clean as possible. But all shower water, dish water and anything used to rinse anything is kept. Only actually cleaning water with chemicals in it goes down the drain into the sceptic tank. That way I can actually have a garden in a drought. Luckily I have an understanding husband, but were always recycled water so he's also used to it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom