The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The suppliers have just been to collect my stoep chair for restoration. That's me buggered for nodding off on the stoep for a few days.

Returned today sanded, re-varnished and with new webbing fitted.

Last edited:
You getting respite from smoke??

Russ
Yes, today at least.
Last night, sat out on the veranda anyhow. The Air purifier was complaining about the NO2 levels being high though. They are normally associated with vehicle exhausts but given woodland/bush fires are what fossil fuels are originally bushfires also produce a lot of it as well.(NO2 is Nitrogen dioxide).

So today the change? we have finally had a little rain. We've only had 4.1mm which isn't much and isn't really making any impact on the water level in the dam. But perhaps drainage (?) over the next 12 hrs will help some more. It certainly isn't anywhere near what was forecast but combined with heavier rain to the south of us and high winds all day (gusting upto 117kph or 75 mph in Canberra) it has helped to clear the air enough to open windows and doors today.
Sadly 4.1mm of rain is roughly only 4-5 days of water for 1 person, so we're going to need a lot more yet to top up our supplies and there is now nothing on the short term forecast again. :(

Last night, sat out on the veranda anyhow. The Air purifier was complaining about the NO2 levels being high though. They are normally associated with vehicle exhausts but given woodland/bush fires are what fossil fuels are originally bushfires also produce a lot of it as well.(NO2 is Nitrogen dioxide).
It still is complaining about NO2 levels being dangerously high. I just had a window open as a test and it immediately kicked in. Looking at the stats it wasn't PM10 or PM2.5 (Both ash) but NO, that was causing the spike.
I had said to hubby (on the phone) that the clouds when it rained were actually brown still. Now I know why.

Sitting on the sofa on the veranda. The view and air is still ash free but not NO2 free yet. Can't win them all but it does mean I have to limit how long I can spend outside though at 35°C it is for me pretty self limiting anyhow. My bantam chicks on the other hand are loving the temperature. They are not so keen on the 11°C that it was this morning!

The air now looks Ok, but actually isn't.:( And the eucalyptus that looks dead is dead sadly. The winter was simply too dry for it and it died. It will come down branch by branch as the gales come through this winter. We've already started removing what branches we can easily reach with the chainsaw. Might as well use it for firewood this winter. I've also lost a few bushes and other stuff that had previously survived the drought. I'll remove them when it gets cooler later in the year. But as you can see, my "lawn" is brown.

And despite the rain, the land has yet to recover. The tree that is green (exact middle of photo) in the bottom photo taken this afternoon is actually a willow tree that survives by virtue of growing in one of the dams. That dam is the lowest I have ever seen it in the time (nearly 2 years) we have lived here. These fields are meant to support livestock. The farm has sold off all livestock and ceased to trade. All that remains is 1 horse, wildlife and my chooks.

Terry Jones died today.

A brilliant comedian, writer and actor.
And a decent historian as well. Medieval Lives is a good watch.

As to his comedy, it always seemed easier to me pick out the sketches he wrote over the other members. He definitely had a style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom