The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backsplash is scheduled to be installed April 5th, and my washer is fixed again.

I think the repair fellow forgot something, because when I asked him about cost on his first visit, he said, "$140," which is the cost of two service calls (the repair consisted in removing a burned out sensor and snapping in a new one, literally 10 minutes' work) - $70 when he came out to diagnose it, and $70 when he got the part and came back to install it.

When he was done, I handed him my credit card and the charge was...$75. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just waiting on my blinds to arrive, so I can get that scheduled for install.

We've just learned that the port authority is intending to fence off the harbour here, denying the public access to the area. This is outrageous - they claim that just because some idiot fell into the harbour a while back, it's for our own good. Rubbish. It's a great area for watching wildlife. We've seen seals, jellyfish, puffins, guillemots and all sorts there. The wild areas are great for bees and butterflies, as well as lots of birds and they want to stop everyone enjoying this.

Someone has set up a petition to oppose this nonsense. We signed it just now.

March starts today and my 30th birthday will be in 17 days. This will be the second year in a row I'll celebrate my birthday in lockdown and I'm already stressed out. The lockdown phase-out plan will be announced March 11 but the chances that everything will be back to normal by March 17 are nil. I love my birthday and it's the second year in a row I don't celebrate. I love gathering friends for dinner, singing happy birthday, blowing the candles, eating birthday cake (and the only cake I like is a type of sponge cake that people only eat for birthdays), opening my bday presents. Most of these things are not doable in a remote birthday and I don't even want that. I've always enjoyed working on birthday because I like having people come up to me to wish me happy birthday, going out for lunch with my colleagues, stopping for coffee or cake with different people etc, but this will be the first year I took my birthday off cause I don't feel like working at all.

and it's the second year in a row I don't celebrate. I love gathering friends for dinner, singing happy birthday, blowing the candles, eating birthday cake (and the only cake I like is a type of sponge cake that people only eat for birthdays), opening my bday presents. Most of these things are not doable in a remote birthday and I don't even want that. I've always enjoyed working on birthday because I like having people come up to me to wish me happy birthday, going out for lunch with my colleagues, stopping for coffee or cake with different people etc, but this will be the first year I took my birthday off cause I don't feel like working at all.
You'll have to do what I do.

My birthday is around Christmas but that's not when I actually celebrate it. I celebrate it exactly 6 months later. So I have a ½ birthday. You could try it. You've nothing to loose!

(I can stay younger for ½ a year longer by celebrating it 6 months later, not earlier).

You'll have to do what I do.

My birthday is around Christmas but that's not when I actually celebrate it. I celebrate it exactly 6 months later. So I have a ½ birthday. You could try it. You've nothing to loose!

(I can stay younger for ½ a year longer by celebrating it 6 months later, not earlier).
In 2020 we were supposed to celebrate my birthday in the summer, but there was a pandemic the entire summer. I was excited about celebrating my birthday with good weather and getting bikinis as presents, but that didn't happen. I have no expectations of celebrating my bday this year. I have my hopes on 2022.

In 2020 we were supposed to celebrate my birthday in the summer, but there was a pandemic the entire summer. I was excited about celebrating my birthday with good weather and getting bikinis as presents, but that didn't happen. I have no expectations of celebrating my bday this year. I have my hopes on 2022.
Same, mine is in summer too. My husband's birthday is in April, we don't expect to celebrate that either.

We've just learned that the port authority is intending to fence off the harbour here, denying the public access to the area. This is outrageous - they claim that just because some idiot fell into the harbour a while back, it's for our own good. Rubbish. It's a great area for watching wildlife. We've seen seals, jellyfish, puffins, guillemots and all sorts there. The wild areas are great for bees and butterflies, as well as lots of birds and they want to stop everyone enjoying this.

Someone has set up a petition to oppose this nonsense. We signed it just now.

Same here with lyttleton port, we as kids used to sit on the wharf fishing. You can't do it now. Health n safety. The worlds gone mad.

Russ

Phones.
I have an s8 but I need to update, I'm not a plan so have options. Anyone know about the s21? Spark here ( my provider) and they offered me the s21 with a free tablet for $1400.

Any thoughts on phones? mines a Samsung. My I pad is just about at its limit so I need to do something.

Russ

Another sunny day here, spring has definitely sprung

It was pretty decent here today. Not warm, but not cold.

My neighbor and I hired a tree service to do our front yard trees together to get a better price, and we got a good price, and the tree service did a good job. It is cool the way the certified arborist climbs up in the trees with a rope and a chainsaw, shapes the trees, and cuts the branches away from the house/roof. It is a real profession. When those trees fill out with leaves over the next month or so, they are going to look good... and be ready for spring storm season in North Texas.

CD

Phones.
I have an s8 but I need to update,

I'd ask why you need to update. I'm still using an S7 and I'm not sure whether its worth me updating except for maybe a better (more versatile) phone camera.

Depends what you use your phone for but if like me, aside from food photography, its mainly for phoning people, texting, reading email and a bit of internet surfing then I can't see any advantage at all in a newer model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom