The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that note, my GI doc informed me that I am past due for my five year alien butt probe (colonoscopy). I need to set up an appointment. :(
You know, I hate the prep work for that, but the couple of hours after the procedure, after you wake up...that's the best I ever feel. I'm not tired or sleepy, just extremely calm and carefree.

In the UK, whatever you do with your property is your business unless it becomes a public health risk or you wish to construct something that requires planning permission, then the city or local council get involved.
Lots of places here are like that, but in suburban areas especially developers tend to build new neighborhoods with homeowners associations. HOAs are effective in keeping eyesores as far as paint colors, outlandish landscaping, or lack thereof, etc., out of your neighborhood. What always amazed me is that people knowingly buy a home in a HOA and then expect to NOT have to follow the rules. Full disclosure, I was a board member and officer of a HOA for many, many years. Most HOAs aren't unreasonable, like the 1/2 inch too high grass, but those are the ones you hear about.

FowlersFreeTime , aren't there still watering restrictions for landscaping in Miami-Dade? If the management company is being difficult, write them a letter, don't call, and state their own pictures are showing improvement. If they still persist and attempt to fine you, make sure you attend the meeting, with evidence in hand, and appeal to the committee. If they then still fine you which I doubt unless you are in 1 of "those" HOAs, you can appeal to the full board at the next board meeting.

Otherwise, best advice I can give you is start attending board meetings and get involved. You are paying dues and should know how your money is being spent and what is going on behind the scenes.

My wife had the same and said the same about the pain. Yet our daughter had one last week and said it was fine.

Russ
The newer machines aren't painful at all. I remember the first couple I had and was left with actual bruises. Didn't go back for several years because of that. Finally did and what a difference.

Last edited:
I just asked MrsT and she says her mamm-grams are pain free, and she doesn't bruise, which is saying something, because she's on blood thinners and seems to bruise in a stiff wind.

When I was getting daily radiation treatments for cancer, there was a women getting daily radiation therapy for breast cancer, in addition to chemo. Our radiation appointments were at the same time for just over a month. By the time my treatments ended, she looked beaten down. I felt so bad for her.

I am walking, talking evidence that early diagnosis of cancer is critical, so any temporary discomfort is worth it.

On that note, my GI doc informed me that I am past due for my five year alien butt probe (colonoscopy). I need to set up an appointment. :(

CD

Good luck with it. My wife's friend seems to have it in her family. She just got over the chemo and radiation and got the all clear, then to find out her 17 yo son has it now, he's currently being treated, it's not life ending, but still a hell of a thing to go through.

Russ

Lots of places here are like that, but in suburban areas especially developers tend to build new neighborhoods with homeowners associations. HOAs are effective in keeping eyesores as far as paint colors, outlandish landscaping, or lack thereof, etc., out of your neighborhood. What always amazed me is that people knowingly buy a home in a HOA and then expect to NOT have to follow the rules. Full disclosure, I was a board member and officer of a HOA for many, many years. Most HOAs aren't unreasonable, like the 1/2 inch too high grass, but those are the ones you hear about.

FowlersFreeTime , aren't there still watering restrictions for landscaping in Miami-Dade? If the management company is being difficult, write them a letter, don't call, and state their own pictures are showing improvement. If they still persist and attempt to fine you, make sure you attend the meeting, with evidence in hand, and appeal to the committee. If they then still fine you which I doubt unless you are in 1 of "those" HOAs, you can appeal to the full board at the next board meeting.

Otherwise, best advice I can give you is start attending board meetings and get involved. You are paying dues and should know how your money is being spent and what is going on behind the scenes.

Same here. It seems that some HOAs have board members who need to get a life... or a job... or both. Ours was always easy to deal with when I was on the board, and still seems to be.

But, as you said, there are always a few homeowners who "don't seem to remember" signing the papers at closing agreeing to pay the HOA, and abide by the rules. Those were the ones who pounded on my door at 8PM ranting about something trivial.

Most of the ranting I got was about people's front yards not being watered enough during city mandated water restrictions. "What part of "city mandated water restrictions" did they not understand?

I haven't been on the board for over ten years, but the City of Frisco still has me officially listed as Board President. So, every once in a while (two or three times a year), someone in the neighborhood will come out and stop me when I'm walking my dog to give me an earful. :laugh:

CD

Same here. It seems that some HOAs have board members who need to get a life... or a job... or both. Ours was always easy to deal with when I was on the board, and still seems to be.

But, as you said, there are always a few homeowners who "don't seem to remember" signing the papers at closing agreeing to pay the HOA, and abide by the rules. Those were the ones who pounded on my door at 8PM ranting about something trivial.

Most of the ranting I got was about people's front yards not being watered enough during city mandated water restrictions. "What part of "city mandated water restrictions" did they not understand?

I haven't been on the board for over ten years, but the City of Frisco still has me officially listed as Board President. So, every once in a while (two or three times a year), someone in the neighborhood will come out and stop me when I'm walking my dog to give me an earful. :laugh:

CD
Do you still get back handers ? :) :)

Russ

To be honest we are struggling, being sensible, keeping out of the direct sun, fan on, drinking lots of water etc...but still not fun.

No air conditioning? That's how Texans handle the oppressive heat that comes EVERY summer. Everything is air conditioned. It's not a luxury here, it is a necessity.

CD

That is hot. We had even 37c these days. It is hard to take,at least for me. But I am finding ways to manage.
And good luck with your colonoscopy.
I am glad your cancer was treatable and you are now well.
🍀🍀🍀

The rest of the world seems to be hotter than average, but in North Texas, we are a few degrees below average so far this year.

CD

The rest of the world seems to be hotter than average, but in North Texas, we are a few degrees below average so far this year.

CD
Somewhat off balance, one may think...
To me, it was comforting to read that everyone struggles with heat and humidity...
It is refreshingly fresh, 22c right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom