The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people must think I am stupid!
Showed my boss a picture of our pond, she thought it a good idea to advise me to be careful as it may attract frogs-erm yes that is the idea.
Today I told my colleague that I had a letter inviting me to make an appointment to have a mammogram, she pulled a face and said 'don't want to put you off but apparently it is painful' yes I know but only for a while :facepalm: seriously people

Today I'm fighting with the Home Owners' Association of my neighborhood, they're looking to fine me for something so mundane as dead grass. Their own photographs have shown the condition of the grass to have improved over the last 30 days, we'll see how this goes. Is this struggle with HOAs a uniquely American Suburbia problem? Do homeowners in other parts of the world have to deal with being told how to maintain their own property?

Today I'm fighting with the Home Owners' Association of my neighborhood, they're looking to fine me for something so mundane as dead grass. Their own photographs have shown the condition of the grass to have improved over the last 30 days, we'll see how this goes. Is this struggle with HOAs a uniquely American Suburbia problem? Do homeowners in other parts of the world have to deal with being told how to maintain their own property?
For housing developments, I don't think anyone is entirely happy - you either feel the weight of the HOA on your neck because your grass is 1/2" too tall, or you've got rampant chaos (saying that as I've noticed the neighbor on one side has just gotten chickens and the neighbor on the other is doing his level best to start a junk yard along the edge of our property).

In the UK, whatever you do with your property is your business unless it becomes a public health risk or you wish to construct something that requires planning permission, then the city or local council get involved.

Looking at videos of things to do in the Faroe islands I came across a video about supposedly the most remote Michelin starred restaurant in the World, Koks in the Faroes.

Ignore the gurning presenters, it soon gets on to the chef. What a tasting menu, see how far you get before you say "perhaps not, that's gone too far" 🤣

View: https://youtu.be/xNaBiGB6VdY

Some people must think I am stupid!
Showed my boss a picture of our pond, she thought it a good idea to advise me to be careful as it may attract frogs-erm yes that is the idea.
Today I told my colleague that I had a letter inviting me to make an appointment to have a mammogram, she pulled a face and said 'don't want to put you off but apparently it is painful' yes I know but only for a while :facepalm: seriously people

My wife had the same and said the same about the pain. Yet our daughter had one last week and said it was fine.

Russ

I won't ever do what someone tells me to do with my property. My mate recently moved in aged care but he has his own unit. He conforms.

Russ

Looking at videos of things to do in the Faroe islands I came across a video about supposedly the most remote Michelin starred restaurant in the World, Koks in the Faroes.

Ignore the gurning presenters, it soon gets on to the chef. What a tasting menu, see how far you get before you say "perhaps not, that's gone too far" 🤣

View: https://youtu.be/xNaBiGB6VdY
Watched the whole thing, when I saw the sea urchin ( only seafood I won't eat. Called Kina here btw) I thought oh oh, but seeing it all cooked I'd eat everything on those plates. I occasionally make raw fish, I love it. And I've eaten live beetles ( hu hu grubs) so I have a strong stomach ( except tripe)

Russ

Very common here, and usually a PITA. My current HOA is pretty good. I was on the board for 8 years, when the neighborhood was fairly new, and we kind of set a trend. I still consult with current board members, but I did my time on the board, and I'm done. I don't think we ever denied a request for things like a paint color change, but nobody ever requested anything worthy of denial (ie: pink or purple).

Our HOA is responible for basic front yard maintenance, such as mowing, edging and trimming, plus irrigation, pruning of trees and shrubs -- basic stuff. If someone wants to change their landscaping, that's on them, and it has to be approved. Back yards are completely on the individual homeowners.

I like the front yard maintenance part, because in my past homes, I took good care of my yard, and half of my neighbors didn't. This way, at least the basic upkeep is done throughout the neighborhood.

CD

Watched the whole thing, when I saw the sea urchin ( only seafood I won't eat. Called Kina here btw) I thought oh oh, but seeing it all cooked I'd eat everything on those plates. I occasionally make raw fish, I love it. And I've eaten live beetles ( hu hu grubs) so I have a strong stomach ( except tripe)

Russ

A seagull head :yuck: :stop: :headshake:

Bearing in mind what they do I expect it to be uncomfortable but it is a small price to pay to get a check up.

When I was getting daily radiation treatments for cancer, there was a women getting daily radiation therapy for breast cancer, in addition to chemo. Our radiation appointments were at the same time for just over a month. By the time my treatments ended, she looked beaten down. I felt so bad for her.

I am walking, talking evidence that early diagnosis of cancer is critical, so any temporary discomfort is worth it.

On that note, my GI doc informed me that I am past due for my five year alien butt probe (colonoscopy). I need to set up an appointment. :(

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom