The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally we don't need it but if things carry on as they are might have to think about it.

Its maybe 10 or 14 days or so each year that we hit what I call unbearable temperatures? Even so I'm tempted to install air con.

No air conditioning? That's how Texans handle the oppressive heat that comes EVERY summer. Everything is air conditioned. It's not a luxury here, it is a necessity.

CD

Most domestic dwellings in the UK don't have air-con. Supermarkets and some work places do. Right now I'm exhausted and sitting in front of a fan with wet flannels on me (face cloths). The temperature here is a mere 29C at midday but I can't hack it,

Normally we don't need it but if things carry on as they are might have to think about it.

Yeah. All the times I've been to the UK have been in the summer -- June or July. It has been a while, but it was never hot there. For me, it was a two week break from the Texas heat. If things keep going in the direction they are, I'll need to vacation in Iceland if I want to escape the heat.

CD

Most domestic dwellings in the UK don't have air-con. Supermarkets and some work places do. Right now I'm exhausted and sitting in front of a fan with wet flannels on me (face cloths). The temperature here is a mere 29C at midday but I can't hack it,

I am fortunate that energy costs in Texas are pretty cheap. We have a surplus of natural gas, which powers most of our electricity plants. We also generate a lot of wind power (see the weather thread). I have two separate AC systems, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, and my monthly electricity bill is about $95 (£69).

CD

Yeah. All the times I've been to the UK have been in the summer -- June or July. It has been a while, but it was never hot there. For me, it was a two week break from the Texas heat. If things keep going in the direction they are, I'll need to vacation in Iceland if I want to escape the heat.

CD
What a splendid thought! And you could meet all of us European members on say danish or belgian soil for coffee 😊👍

CD

I remember the summer I spent when I moved to Oxford was splendid. Around 15 degrees most days, sun and clouds spells in equal parts, gentle breezes... But the best part of it was that I used to sleep with the winter blanket and I didn't bother me!

The problem with British heatwaves is that carpeted dwellings become saunas when temperatures are higher than normal. it is well known carpets work excellent during winter, but they are a real nightmare in days like these.

Having lived my summers in Barcelona, with humidity always above 65 per cent, now I feel fortunate to be in the UK. I am not a hot weather lover, I'm sorry. I can't stand sweating all times and taking five showers a day like I used to do.

I remember the summer I spent when I moved to Oxford was splendid. Around 15 degrees most days, sun and clouds spells in equal parts, gentle breezes... But the best part of it was that I used to sleep with the winter blanket and I didn't bother me!

The problem with British heatwaves is that carpeted dwellings become saunas when temperatures are higher than normal. it is well known carpets work excellent during winter, but they are a real nightmare in days like these.

Having lived my summers in Barcelona, with humidity always above 65 per cent, now I feel fortunate to be in the UK. I am not a hot weather lover, I'm sorry. I can't stand sweating all times and taking five showers a day like I used to do.

Spain has a variety of climates, just like Texas. I spent a few weeks at the Universidad de Salamanca many years ago, and it was HOT. But, like West Texas, it was dry, so tolerable. On the other hand, Torremolinos the following week was very pleasant.

My times in Barcelona were both comfortable.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom