The Good Ol' Days

Same with flying. People flying, spending a good bit of money, and they show up in things I wouldn't do my yard work in. Drives me crazy.
I'm flying long haul next week, back again 2 weeks later. Last time I flew this route, we were given free PJs and expected to sleep for 2 of the 4 legs (the 2 long haul legs). To me, there seems little point in dressing up to drive an hour to the airport (from rural Australia) to hang around for half an hour to an hour (first leg is an internal flight so no need to get there early). The airport despite being an international airport only comes alive when a plane is due to leave/ has just landed. It has 4 shops and 4 cafes. That's it. Great for getting in and out quickly. No need to park miles away. We can park within 5m of the entrance. Long term parking is less than 2-3 minutes walk away. Dressing up really seems pointless to me. I'd rather be warm and comfortable. Plus clothes are not designed to be sat down in and I'll be in my wheelchair and pretty much expected to stay in it when I'm at an airport lounge. People in general don't really seem to understand that wheelchair users can often walk and get upset when you do.

PS, I don't intend to dress smartly to my own funeral either.

I had two tone flared pants, long hair and a leather jacket at 15, and motor bikes. I could get a chick any time. They were the days, my d.i.l wore some jeans here a year or so when ripped jeans were in fashion. I said my wife could repair those if she wanted, we all laughed,lol. I don't have Tatts but I have a pierced ear. From 15, again.

Russ

Great image conjured up - any photos? :happy: Do you still wear an earring?

I know what you mean. I wore high heals for so many years, it's nice to put on flip flops or sandals & be comfortable. It's also casual in many places in California. My feet swell so badly, sometimes I can't put on shoes.

Males with pants around their knees are a turn off.

Of course, comfort is very important, but sandals are one thing, flip-flops in the city definitely another.
And in Milan in the summer when you see someone wearing in flip flops, they say "hey California!" :laugh:

@MypinchofItaly - oh, I agree completely. I get somewhat teased at work or when we go out, because I like to be well put together, so to speak, but everyone else is flopping around in cargo shorts and sleeveless t-shirts, and it's just...ick! I hate to be the stuffy one, but have a little pride in your appearance!

They relaxed the dress code at work a few years ago, and people always push boundaries, so now, I can go to work and see people in tatty old sweatpants and holey t-shirts, stained clothes, it's terrible.

Same with flying. People flying, spending a good bit of money, and they show up in things I wouldn't do my yard work in. Drives me crazy.

ahha, I understand what you mean about flying. Sometimes I would like to ask 'did you buy that pajama for the occasion?'

I believe that once there was definitely more decor and less arrogance. There are places and situations where certain freedoms would be better to take them at home.
I was born in the 70s, for me "once upon a time" also only in the 90s when I was a twenty year old who often went to live concerts, but who never would have dreamed of looking like a run-away-home, not even attending the concert more grunge than history.

Another thing I miss is the absence of a mobile phone. Now I couldn't help it, but sometimes I think about it ... maybe things were better? Oh, who knows, that's a huge (maybe useless too) question, but how did I do when cell phones didn't exist?

When I was in high school, some of us liked to go hunting after school (during season of course), so we had shotguns and rifles (unloaded of course) in racks in our trucks. We also wore the very popular "Buck Knife" (a folding knife) in cases on our belts, in school. No one thought anything of it.

Of course, comfort is very important, but sandals are one thing, flip-flops in the city definitely another.
And in Milan in the summer when you see someone wearing in flip flops, they say "hey California!" :laugh:

Its rife everywhere. Maidstone is full of guys (in particular) wearing flip flops. In fact, it appears to be 'on trend' with celebrities!

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 12.02.02.png

men-wearing-flip-flops-is-not-okay-a3819531.html

Last edited:
There are places and situations where certain freedoms would be better to take them at home.

I'm a complete rebel where that is concerned - I really don't care what people wear or where they choose to wear it. There are lots of 'dress codes' which are not only restrictive and possibly pointless but also sexist. Safety, is another matter of course and dress codes are important in that context.

Personally, I wouldn't go out into the street wearing pyjamas (not that I possess any!) but there are plenty of women in my street who do.

Personally, I wouldn't go out into the street wearing pyjamas (not that I possess any!) but there are plenty of women in my street who do.
You know my snow pictures... clothes in the bedroom, hubby asleep, I let him lie in at the weekends, so I was out in my PJs. But I'll add that I actually wear a thermal top and sweatshirt to bed, not the pj top.

Not on the Red Carpet or Rodeo Drive, dear :P
Some of the Studio executives, where I worked, wore denim Jean jackets or shoes without socks. One exec walked around in a Superman costume with a cape and boots, but that's another story. Lol Anything short of a bathing suit, was allowed. I did post some cute thongs/flip-flops that mg & I like. I started to take it personally. Lol.
PS. It is hot here. So, there's that too. :P
I love clothes. Always have.
Holes in jeans, or slashes, distressed look is big. Not sure I'm that into it. It's a copycat manufactured Hippy Woodstock (my era) style. I sewed rainbow patches on jeans & embroidered flowers, but no ripped jeans.

Last edited:
Back to the Good Old days.. When I was growing up, I played w a hula hoop and a slinky. Today kids play on their smartphones. :(

I love clothes. Always have.
Holes in jeans, or slashes, distressed look is big. Not sure I'm that into it. It's a copycat manufactured Hippy Woodstock (my era) style. I sewed rainbow patches on jeans & embroidered flowers, but no ripped jeans.

I love clothes too - and always have. I've got a few pairs of ripped jeans and some ripped T shirts. I don't recall ripped jeans ever being worn back in the 60's or 70's. Frayed cut off jeans, perhaps and as you said, sewn on patches. I was a bit of a hippy...

Back
Top Bottom