The Good Ol' Days

Even further back in time, when I used to go to the drive-in with my parents and had to sit in the back seat with my brother and sister, I remember my parents used to let us 3 kids go to the playground that was built at the bottom of the big screen. That is if we got there before they started the movie. Nowadays, how many parents would let their kids do something like that without a parent along. That is so sad to thing about something like that being turned into something so scary.

Saturday nights was me on the prowl with a mate or two. Until I settled down. Most of my mates were shy and not good with chicks, I had to do all the talking.
After I moved in with my girlfriend and our baby, Saturday nights was friends over and drinking. Still pretty much the same now.

Russ

I generally avoid these "good old days: conversations, even though I had a lot of good times way back when. I also vividly remember every detail of the day that two of my friends and I had rocks thrown at us in the schoolyard. One of my friends was hit in the head, and went to the hospital, and his dad came to school the next day to explain to a bunch of third-graders what a concussion was.

I didn't understand why someone would throw rocks at us, and my parents were no help. They just told me not to hang out with that "colored" boy anymore.

As I got older, I learned the truth. We were targeted as two white boys hanging out with a "negro" boy.

As Dickens put it, It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... You have to except the bad with the good.

CD

I generally avoid these "good old days: conversations, even though I had a lot of good times way back when. I also vividly remember every detail of the day that two of my friends and I had rocks thrown at us in the schoolyard. One of my friends was hit in the head, and went to the hospital, and his dad came to school the next day to explain to a bunch of third-graders what a concussion was.

I didn't understand why someone would throw rocks at us, and my parents were no help. They just told me not to hang out with that "colored" boy anymore.

As I got older, I learned the truth. We were targeted as two white boys hanging out with a "negro" boy.

As Dickens put it, It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... You have to except the bad with the good.

CD
That's exactly how I feel about my childhood. A lot of people hear it and think of it as an idyllic time of simplicity and being out in the fresh air and all that (I grew up on a farm where we raised nearly all our own food and we owned a sawmill).

I, OTOH, remember it as a time of unending back-breaking work and not much else.

Back
Top Bottom