The Heresy of Modifying a Traditional Recipe

One of the things I plan to make in the near future is Pasta Carbonara. I would say essentially traditional - I even found some guanciale (although pancetta is also accepted - even bacon sometimes, especially since guanciale is hard to find in some parts of the world). It will be a fun cooking experiment since getting the eggs right to make the carbonara part will require mastering a technique I am atm uncertain about. It won't have tomatoes (or peas). It may have the wrong type of pasta in it as I don't like spaghetti pasta, for reasons not fully pertinent to this discussion. Right now, as I have ALL the ingredients needed (my choice of long pasta, pecorino Romano, eggs, guanciale, ground pepper) - just waiting for an appropriate headset to create this. Won't be this week, or the COVID second shot next week recovery, but hopefully after.

I believe that being able to communicate with others is an appropriate thing to do, and as one who does a food blog, I'd rather say something like: Greek-Inspired Gluten-Free Meatballs, than to mislead someone with an inaccurate title, someone who is expecting to find a traditional version of something when they waste their time opening up the link to my blog. I would never call a banana gnocchi a carbonara, at least for that very reason. At least not in public. I would also not make a French onion soup with beef broth and call it a vegetarian French onion soup. (A few years back I went with some vegetarians out to dinner, and they ordered French onion soup... made with beef stock, as it turned out...)

I will note some cultures are more picky than others - it seems that many Italians (and, French) can be more prickly about their nomenclature and exactitude of recipes than say, the Chinese or Korean people. In India, so many recipes have their own variants, from family to family. So I can make an Indian curry, and not have to call it "Indian-inspired curry" unless I'm using ingredients that have never touched that sub-continent's soil, like, say, a bolus of Jerusalem artichokes.

So... regards carbonara. There's American carbonara, and there's Italian carbonara. In this case, different levels of flexibility in how one discusses or prepares each.

I agree even if let me say that French and Italian (and Spanish) have another mentality about food, we just care and be respectful about ours. What for others may sound just as picky, for us is tradition and respect of it 😊
We just don’t get what is the problem 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
I agree even if let me say that French and Italian (and Spanish) food have another mentality and we just care and be respectful about our food. What for other is just picky, for is is tradition and respect 😊
We just don’t get what is the problem 🤷🏻‍♀️

In part, I think it is whether a recipe has gotten standardized, as per Pasta Carbonara - or if it is part of a tradition where flexibility developed due to availability of ingredients, and local/familial traditions - ie certain types of Indian curry dishes. But I see what you are saying.

Dishes are prepared with ingredients that are readily available in the region so the finished product will always reflect that..when trying to locate ingredients to make a recipe, sometimes substitutions have to be made...it's with these substitutions that new versions of traditional recipes are born...we accept change and variety..we have to, out of necessity ..we are also lucky to have a multicultural society that provides us with a rich availability of food choices and many influences in our daily meals.

Last edited:
In part, I think it is whether a recipe has gotten standardized, as per Pasta Carbonara - or if it is part of a tradition where flexibility developed due to availability of ingredients, and local/familial traditions - ie certain types of Indian curry dishes. But I see what you are saying.

Certainly, family traditions are held in high regard and are part of us, even if there are some recipes, such as the customs-cleared Carbonara, in which if a person can't find the guanciale (for example), it is obvious and normal that will replace it with pancetta or bacon, which is easier to find in other Countries.
But even so, the traditional Carbonara is only one and is made with certain ingredients.
I am against the sanctification of a recipe, but I am in favour and support the respect of tradition. You may not follow it, but at least respect it.
The feeling is always that you have invited someone to your house but this person doesn't like your decor and starts moving your furniture around..:laugh:

Yep, I think we are both on the same thought. I always really enjoy exchanging views on these topics.

Certainly, family traditions are held in high regard and are part of us, even if there are some recipes, such as the customs-cleared Carbonara, in which if a person can't find the guanciale (for example), it is obvious and normal that will replace it with pancetta or bacon, which is easier to find in other Countries.
But even so, the traditional Carbonara is only one and is made with certain ingredients.
I am against the sanctification of a recipe, but I am in favour and support the respect of tradition. You may not follow it, but at least respect it.
The feeling is always that you have invited someone to your house but this person doesn't like your decor and starts moving your furniture around..:laugh:

Yep, I think we are both on the same thought. I always really enjoy exchanging views on these topics.
I have gotten away from calling classic recipes the original names they were given if the ingredients or techniques are changed..And I do respect the original recipes and usually make them that way, especially, now that we can converse with people from all over the world from the comfort of our living rooms..but, then, I also have substituted ingredients to make something equally tasty so to describe them to somebody you basically have to just name them by the list of ingredients...so my sausage carbonara would have to be..."Rigatoni, With Italian Sausage and a sauce made with raw egg, and Pecorino Cheese"...lol!!

Last edited:
I usually modify things practically all the time, especially if I'm out of something & don't have the time or the patience to just run out & get it. I only measure things when I bake. When it comes to regular cooking, I usually just make do, unless I have it on hand. One of my worst pet peeves is finding out in the middle of doing a recipe that I'm out of something that's needed. So I always check to see if everything that I might need is here. :whistling:

I generally hate modifying classic dishes, if I really don't have to. Especially the ones from my home country Turkey and my favorite cuisines Italian and Indian dishes..
I like to take my time and find the correct ingredients. Only if I think a twist can take it to the next level for my taste, I can have a twist, but only after I tried the authentic recipe first!

The United Sates of America is nicknamed "The Melting Pot." We are less than 300 years old, which is nothing compared to most European countries, and we are "E pluribus unum – Latin for "Out of many, one."

Some "old world" folks like to think we have no food history. But, in fact, we have many food histories.

I am Italian-American. The food I grew up with was a mix-match of Italian, German, Irish, Polish... the list is endless.

Texas BBQ is the result of Germans coming to Texas 100 years ago, and smoking meats to preserve them, just as Mexicans did for centuries.

I have total respect for food traditions. When I went to Italy, I looked for the most authentic Italian cooking I could find. Does that mean I only cook authentic Italian in my kitchen? No. Like I already said, when I cook carbonara, I go traditional, as far as I can within reason -- because it is time tested good food. I know American bacon isn't authentic, but if that's what I have, that's what I use. Same with my visits to Spain. I respect the traditions, but in Dallas, Texas, I have to use what I can get close to home, for a decent price.

When my great grandparents came to Pittsburgh, PA from Torino, Italia 110 years ago, they had to adapt to what they could get... CHEAP. They came here with two kids, and had six more. My great grandfather was a machinist, so he could get a job, but it was not a high paying job. It was the kind of jobs that Mexican immigrants do today in the US. Hard work, low pay. My great grandmother had to feed that family on the money he made.

So, I totally respect traditional cooking and recipes. But, I am no a slave to tradition. Well actually, you could say that adapting is an American tradition.

CD

I generally hate modifying classic dishes, if I really don't have to. Especially the ones from my home country Turkey and my favorite cuisines Italian and Indian dishes..
I like to take my time and find the correct ingredients. Only if I think a twist can take it to the next level for my taste, I can have a twist, but only after I tried the authentic recipe first!

:cheers:

I'm going to from now on.:) .On another note, you wouldn't believe the abominations people come up with in restaurants and cook books in the name of Italian Cooking...It would make you cringe..even I have a problem with many of the recipes

Oh, I might have an idea but maybe reality is worse?

Back
Top Bottom