The Heresy of Modifying a Traditional Recipe

If we had to dig into the ancient history every time, we won’t never finish. Considering that some things have been qualified and recognised as authentic for some Countries, who are we to say the contrary? Some things are like Country labels, let’s them rest where they are.
Country labels? Interesting concept. What would you say are Italian Country labels?

Really? So they are aware of it?
Yes, they're certainly aware of it, but there's not much they can do about it.

Hey, at least we put some French words on the label. :wink:

Yes, they're certainly aware of it, but there's not much they can do about it.

View attachment 59268

Hey, at least we put some French words on the label. :wink:
Anyone speaking French on the forum? I have just started learning French few months ago, but champenoise does not sound quite right, but I am not the one to verify😉...

I am sure they had a linguist proofreading...

Thank you for posting! I love this particular green colour a lot! I have it in my kitchen for details, and I got a lovely large green mixing/cooking spoon just yesterday, will post soon...

Anyone speaking French on the forum? I have just started learning French few months ago, but champenoise does not sound quite right, but I am not the one to verify😉...

I am sure they had a linguist proofreading...

Thank you for posting! I love this particular green colour a lot! I have it in my kitchen for details, and I got a lovely large green mixing/cooking spoon just yesterday, will post soon...
I took French in high school but that was a very, very, very long time ago, LOL! And I wasn't drinking champagne at 16, so...

Right! I lived in Destin, FL, also known as "the redneck riviera". I was drinking beer (my dad let me have a few here and there when my mum wasn't around).

The only ID you needed to buy alcohol at 16 in Port Arthur was a green piece of paper with a dead President on it. :wink:

CD

Our dinner last night reminded me of this discussion....we had carbonara which was adjusted in some ways, but in my opinion not enough to mean it can't still be called carbonara.

For the meat I used some homemade bacon...so although it wasn't guanciale (or even pancetta) it was still close both in terms of texture and flavour . And for the cheese I used Ossau-Iraty which is a very hard cheese with a texture and flavour very similar to Pecorino. Apart from that the rest was pretty traditional....linguini, eggs & black pepper. So although some ingredients had been changed, the dish was still recognisably carbonara.

Our dinner last night reminded me of this discussion....we had carbonara which was adjusted in some ways, but in my opinion not enough to mean it can't still be called carbonara.

For the meat I used some homemade bacon...so although it wasn't guanciale (or even pancetta) it was still close both in terms of texture and flavour . And for the cheese I used Ossau-Iraty which is a very hard cheese with a texture and flavour very similar to Pecorino. Apart from that the rest was pretty traditional....linguini, eggs & black pepper. So although some ingredients had been changed, the dish was still recognisably carbonara.

When I get a craving for carbonara, I have most of the traditional ingredients at home, all the time. The only thing I don't have is guanciale or pancetta. I always have bacon (streaky) in the fridge. So, I use that. I'm not driving to the store to buy pancetta, and probably couldn't find guanciale if I tried.

Like you, I think that is close enough that I can still call it carbonara.

CD

Back
Top Bottom