The "Insta-Pot"

I haven't made up my mind to get the Instant Pot or anything like it. Since I have a good solid SS pressure cooker & a good solid slow cooker, I see no need to get one of these. They cook just as good!!

Guess that I'm old school!! :wink:
I don't think anyone has ever claimed an electric pressure cooker such as the Instant Pot cooks any better or worse than a separate slow cooker and stovetop pressure cooker. In fact I only bought mine when my old stovetop one finally gave up the ghost. But since I bought it I've found the main advantages are that you have one appliance doing two jobs (which is much better for storage when you have limited cupboard space), and electric pressure cookers are much easier to use.

The smell of the food that's burning in it would warn me of that impending danger. I turn the burner up high, and as soon as the jiggler start to jiggle, then I turn the burner down to get a steady normal jiggle. I've used a pressure cooker long enough to know that when something is right or wrong. :wink:

The smell of the food that's burning in it would warn me of that impending danger. I turn the burner up high, and as soon as the jiggler start to jiggle, then I turn the burner down to get a steady normal jiggle. I've used a pressure cooker long enough to know that when something is right or wrong. :wink:
@Shermie
Agreed, and understood, all that you've said! I, too, am "old school" in most ways, but really like seeing innovative. It ain't proven out yet, for me.......

But I will add that one positive thing I see about the electric one is that it can adjust the "burner heat" as it senses pressure changing. So what, though. To match that feat, you would have to "see" the cooking conditions in yours, and turn the juice up and down. Matter of fact, the top cover of yours uses exactly the same kind of "jiggler" as our electric one.

Do you remember the old pressure jigglers?

th?id=OIP.GWhINzSgfoYJHilLKjnbpQHaGc&pid=15.jpg

The spout on which they sat had a fairly small hole.......certain foods foam up a lot, beans being one, and can carry debris up into the hole and clog it. Then pressure can build up too high, which blows out the safety valve, much bigger hole, throwing the contents up onto the ceiling! Happened to my wife's dad once. My own Mother, too, but it at least didn't reach the ceiling!

Vintage-16-Qt-National-Presto-Pressure-Cooker-Canner-No.jpg
Vintage Presto Jiggler.png

Some were made like this. years ago.

Yeah, I've n0oticed that the same types of jigglers found on the Insta pot & others are also now featured on regular stovetop units as well. :wink:

View attachment 22049 View attachment 22050

Some were made like this. years ago.

Yeah, I've n0oticed that the same types of jigglers found on the Insta pot & others are also now featured on regular stovetop units as well. :wink:
@Shermie
I remember the ones like you've shown, with the individual pressure-weights. The round jigglers had usually 3 holes allowing like, 5, 10, and 15 lb/sq in pressure. Really like the pressure gauge; wonder if it came factory-installed?

@Shermie
I remember the ones like you've shown, with the individual pressure-weights. The round jigglers had usually 3 holes allowing like, 5, 10, and 15 lb/sq in pressure. Really like the pressure gauge; wonder if it came factory-installed?

Usuall7y, with all types of pressure cookers, the jiggler comes as standard equipment. :wink:

@Shermie

Do you really look like your avatar? I would surely like having you on my side in a bar-room brawl!

. He runs a couple of bbq eateries our in California near Los Angeles.

I've been getting that a lot since I've changed my avatar. The guy IS big!! He's a bbq chef though, specializing in Southern Texas bbq. Chef Kevin Bludso. :wink:

Me on the riight!!.jpg

Me pictured on the right (with my arms folded). My head was shaved back then. I was out on a night out in town with the gang at a Chinese Restaurant! I look almost like him!! :wink:!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom