The Instant Pot (pressure/multicooker) thread.

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
6:00 PM
Post your Instant Pot experiences here.
This isn’t the thread for disparaging remarks about unnecessary kitchen gadgets from folk who don’t own one (oh no no no), it is a thread for people to post their experiences of these mini multitasking marvels whether good or bad.

It’s confession time from me. I have the Crock Pot version of an Instant Pot which I’m fond of (although still very inexperienced with) and this week bought an actual Instant Pot mostly to consolidate other kitchen equipment in to one appliance, this new one air frys, sous vide’s and pressure cooks.

Yesterday was its maiden voyage making ‘egg bites’ and I very much enjoyed it.
Next up is probably steak using the sous vide setting.

Do you have one?
What are your favourite dishes to cook in one?
What do and don’t you like about it?
Post your ‘Instant Pot’ recipes here.

Dairy free egg bites.

I used 8 Burford browns (because I love the colour of them) and mixed in one pack of vegan cream cheese with some garlic powder and paprika.
With the filling this was enough to fill one mould five times (35 ‘bites’). Four is plenty per person.

Half filled each mould with egg and added the filling (grated Cheddarton ‘cheese’ only in one set and frankfurter, spring onion and Cheddarton ‘cheese’ in the others) then topped them with egg so the filling is encased in the egg mixture.
Pressure cooked them for 9 minutes and natural release for 6 mins before getting them out.
The ‘cheese’ on it’s own is IMO tastier than the ones with the extra’s.

IMG_2024-02-10-162909.jpeg

PME cake release spray meant they slipped out easily.
I’m very happy with them, they’re not lookers by any stretch but they’re like the good bit of an omelette again and again and again 😋
I like how well they reheat in the microwave in less than a minute with no discernible degrading of the cheesy eggy joy.
Apparently they freeze well too and can be nuked from frozen. I’m not so convinced about that but I’ll be testing it out for sure!

I have the Breville Fast Slow Pro, which is similar. I like the fact that it has a reduce setting, so I can quickly and easily reduce sauces and so on - I use this a lot after I’ve pressure cooked or slow cooked meats in liquid. I never had a pressure cooker before this one, and it is pretty fast - it’s good especially if I don’t have time to slow-cook something.

My only real complaint is the time it takes to come up to pressure, and then to release the pressure after cooking. This usually isn’t included in recipes, so you have to account for it when timing things.

I have the Breville Fast Slow Pro, which is similar. I like the fact that it has a reduce setting, so I can quickly and easily reduce sauces and so on - I use this a lot after I’ve pressure cooked or slow cooked meats in liquid. I never had a pressure cooker before this one, and it is pretty fast - it’s good especially if I don’t have time to slow-cook something.

My only real complaint is the time it takes to come up to pressure, and then to release the pressure after cooking. This usually isn’t included in recipes, so you have to account for it when timing things.
I have that setting but not yet tried it, do you have to hover and stir or can you leave it to do its thing?

I don’t think they are created equal on the coming up to pressure front, the Crock Pot version is faster than the Instant Pot one which seems to spew a lot more steam before it seals.

I wasn’t impressed by the way they are sold plugging the fast cooking times without mentioning it’s actually a lot longer once you take into account the preheat and pressure release but hey it’s still faster and so convenient.

I have written up many instant pot recipes. I try to include coming to pressure times.

Some bone in chicken thighs in the pot for 12 minutes and a 5 minutes 'natural release'
Not exciting but fast n easy as doesn't need tending to, and it has produced some very juicy chicken for sandwiches.
The pressure plumped the skin making it thick n easy to remove. It was also easy to lay out flat so I decided on some garlic skin crackling, lovely in a chicken sandwich 😋
IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2054.jpeg

One of them may not have survived the sampling process 🤤 😜

I recently picked up a Ninja Foodie Pressure Cooker /Air Fryer.

So far I made chuck roast & gravy with potatoes and carrots in the pressure cooker. Also did a pork butt in the pressure cooker followed by a quick run in the air fryer to crisp / brown the fat. Best pulled pork I have made. Also, have made cabbage soup and roasted chicken breasts.

I like the ease of multiple functions and one dish for preparation. So far I am loving it but, I can see it getting more use in cold weather months.

I recently picked up a Ninja Foodie Pressure Cooker /Air Fryer.

So far I made chuck roast & gravy with potatoes and carrots in the pressure cooker. Also did a pork butt in the pressure cooker followed by a quick run in the air fryer to crisp / brown the fat. Best pulled pork I have made. Also, have made cabbage soup and roasted chicken breasts.

I like the ease of multiple functions and one dish for preparation. So far I am loving it but, I can see it getting more use in cold weather months.
Nice machine, nearly bought that one myself.
I really love ease of use and multi-functions too.
I don’t like that I’m going to have to clear out my utility to make a permanent counter space for it because at the moment it’s in such constant use theres no point putting it away! 😂

I get a lot of use out of my old multifunction ‘slow cooker’ in the summer because when it’s too hot to cook indoors the machine merrily cooks a chicken (or whatever) on a table outside. I suspect this bit of kit will be even better for that 🤞

Back
Top Bottom