The invention test - how would you cope?

And here’s another case in point for me to throw into the ring. Rabbit. I’ll be straight upfront and say, I have never cooked rabbit. I have eaten it and enjoyed it in a restaurant, but I’ve never attempted to make a dish with it. The obvious thing – or at least the most common thing I think – to do with rabbit is to make a stew. Again, rabbit pie, but that is essentially just the stew with a pastry lid. But if the other ingredients you had with the rabbit didn’t lead towards a stew, what else could you do? Again, I have a vague memory of a Masterchef competitor doing some kind of rabbit ballantine – I don’t think that was in an invention test though.

I've had spit-roasted rabbit, which was rather nice. We often used to have conventionally roasted rabbit in my younger days. I've roasted it myself too but it seems to be a bit hit and miss with the timing. I don't think the shape of a rabbit helps - it's a bit longer and narrower than your usual chicken or joint.

I usually baked rabbit when I had access to it.
And on the pork chops, I just used a bottle of sauce I had. Tom gave me a recipe when that failed but his is for raw pork chops.

But I do random ingredients every day. Depends on what I pull out of the freezer and pantry.

So c'mon guys you gotta help me out here. My wife expects me to do tea tomorrow, she won't be in until much later than me. But all she's left me is a tray of chicken breasts and a jar of Uncle Ben's Sweet and Sour sauce. How do I turn that in to something better? Yeah, I know, chuck the jar of cook-in sauce in the bin would be a good start, but I can't do that.

So c'mon guys you gotta help me out here. My wife expects me to do tea tomorrow, she won't be in until much later than me. But all she's left me is a tray of chicken breasts and a jar of Uncle Ben's Sweet and Sour sauce. How do I turn that in to something better? Yeah, I know, chuck the jar of cook-in sauce in the bin would be a good start, but I can't do that.

Not a clue :laugh: I've never used a jar of cook-in sweet and sour. Are there any suggestions on the jar? Or on the Uncle Ben's website?

Contents of Uncle Ben's Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Water, Sugar, Tomatoes (13%), Onions (10%), Pineapple (6%), Vinegar, Carrots, Cornflour, Red Peppers (2.7%), Celery (2.7%), Green Peppers (2.7%), Bamboo Shoots, Tamarind Juice, Salt, Colour (Paprika Extract), Spices

Its the sugar and pineapple which put me off. :ohmy: This is supposed to be a Chinese stir-fry type of sauce I suppose and they suggest using it added to stir-fried chicken or pork, peppers and spring onions. Not very much of an invention.

Also going down the curry route: How about using it as a marinade for the chicken breasts. You could bung them in a storage bag with the Uncle Ben's and lots of grated ginger and garlic and some ground chilli. Slash the breasts across the top a few times to help them absorb the marinade)

Leave them overnight. Then bake them tandoori style in the oven. Reserve left-over marinade and heat through as a sauce to be served on the side. Serve with a mixed salad, some quick pickles (red onion is good) and flatbreads. The latter are easy to make from scratch.

Contents of Uncle Ben's Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Water, Sugar, Tomatoes (13%), Onions (10%), Pineapple (6%), Vinegar, Carrots, Cornflour, Red Peppers (2.7%), Celery (2.7%), Green Peppers (2.7%), Bamboo Shoots, Tamarind Juice, Salt, Colour (Paprika Extract), Spices

Its the sugar and pineapple which put me off. :ohmy: This is supposed to be a Chinese stir-fry type of sauce I suppose and they suggest using it added to stir-fried chicken or pork, peppers and spring onions. Not very much of an invention.

Also going down the curry route: How about using it as a marinade for the chicken breasts. You could bung them in a storage bag with the Uncle Ben's and lots of grated ginger and garlic and some ground chilli. Slash the breasts across the top a few times to help them absorb the marinade)

Leave them overnight. Then bake them tandoori style in the oven. Reserve left-over marinade and heat through as a sauce to be served on the side. Serve with a mixed salad, some quick pickles (red onion is good) and flatbreads. The latter are easy to make from scratch.

Wow, that idea I do like. I haven't time to be making marinades tonight, but I could make the marinade tomorrow, intending to do the chicken the day after and do something else tomorrow night. I'll maybe nip to the Tesco near where I work tomorrow lunch time. Get some fresh ginger while I'm there.

Wow, that idea I do like. I haven't time to be making marinades tonight, but I could make the marinade tomorrow, intending to do the chicken the day after and do something else tomorrow night. I'll maybe nip to the Tesco near where I work tomorrow lunch time. Get some fresh ginger while I'm there.

Pineapple is known to be a tenderising agent - so it might result in juicy tender chicken. On the other hand I'm just guessing the idea might work. If I had time tomorrow I'd actually try it - but I'm driving to Essex to stay with my friend and I'll be cooking for him, so no time.

How about making stuffed aubergine "boats".

Mince some garlic and onions and lightly fried in evoo, then toss in the cauliflower to sautee a bit, chop, and mix with breadcrumbs. Let cool and mix in some grated parm or romano, just a pinch each of dried parsley, basil, and oregano or savory.

Scoop out the aubergine, drizzle with evoo and par bake until just beginning to get soft, then stuff with the cauliflower mix, topping with more cheese, another drizzle of evoo, and bake.

How about making stuffed aubergine "boats".

Mince some garlic and onions and lightly fried in evoo, then toss in the cauliflower to sautee a bit, chop, and mix with breadcrumbs. Let cool and mix in some grated parm or romano, just a pinch each of dried parsley, basil, and oregano or savory.

Scoop out the aubergine, drizzle with evoo and par bake until just beginning to get soft, then stuff with the cauliflower mix, topping with more cheese, another drizzle of evoo, and bake.
Nice one - but what about the okara?

Back
Top Bottom