The keto diet

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
9:25 PM
[Mod.edit: This and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Anyway the ketogenic diet or/and a low carb has in an isocaloric state has effectively and immediately reduce insulin resistance
Very interesting. I have been on keto for about 6 months I think. It was challenging, but for me it has not worked out full time or longterm. I am sure I was not the perfect self-nutritionist, plus the hurry plus the long hours of work and commute...My cholesterol hiked up from all the cheese, eggs and butter, and although I did solve the initial problems, something was wrong, so instead of discarding carbs alltogether, I feel better in doing low carb or moderate healthy carb...
And also, what I'd like to try is interchanging keto with a 'normal' sugarless, dairy free, white flour - less diet. And would love to get into intermittent fasting, which I did many years ago. I managed one day a 12 h break in between meals, but not every day. It is a mix of fear and issues and heat...also seasonal eating, and above all listening to one's own body's needs and signals.

But am always willing to learn.
Thank you for sharing, very interesting.
I might have mentioned it before, but I am still quite impressed by the comparison of ca 31 g of sugars (alltogehter) daily that are recommended, and the vast overeating of sugars that we, or at least I did, Iwas never obese, but never realized the 'normal' diet, with a sweettooth had soo soo much of the non necessary sugar. once it hit me, I have no problem sticking to a sugarless diet.

I hope my brain remains well and active till I die, or until I wish it to function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting. I have been on keto for about 6 months I think. It was challenging, but for me it has not worked out full time or longterm. I am sure I was not the perfect self-nutritionist, plus the hurry plus the long hours of work and commute...My cholesterol hiked up from all the cheese, eggs and butter, and although I did solve the initial problems, something was wrong, so instead of discarding carbs alltogether, I feel better in doing low carb or moderate healthy carb...
And also, what I'd like to try is interchanging keto with a 'normal' sugarless, dairy free, white flour - less diet. And would love to get into intermittent fasting, which I did many years ago. I managed one day a 12 h break in between meals, but not every day. It is a mix of fear and issues and heat...also seasonal eating, and above all listening to one's own body's needs and signals.

But am always willing to learn.
Thank you for sharing, very interesting.
I might have mentioned it before, but I am still quite impressed by the comparison of ca 31 g of sugars (alltogehter) daily that are recommended, and the vast overeating of sugars that we, or at least I did, Iwas never obese, but never realized the 'normal' diet, with a sweettooth had soo soo much of the non necessary sugar. once it hit me, I have no problem sticking to a sugarless diet.

I hope my brain remains well and active till I die, or until I wish it to function.
Yeah, it's called keto flu and it can effect some people more than others and it's basically the transition of the different substrate used as the primary fuel source which is fat. It didn't effect me but I was transitioning from a low carb diet. I don't do keto now because it needed to be monitored properly ensuring you were producing ketones in the blood and it had me counting carbs in food to make sure I wasn't going to go over the 50 total carbs for the day, so hell no I'm not going down that road simply because that is not sustainable or naturally intuitive.

Low carb and the way I'm doing it along with intermittent fasting has me absolutely not hungry at all and I have to remind myself to eat quite a few times. My diet is high in protein probably 30-40 % which is double the average consumption. The cholesterol thing is hard for most to get their head around, but it's not what people think and removing sugar/carbs from the diet change the sub categories of cholesterol. The particles of lipoproteins are actually more buoyant and less atherogenic, I can be more nuanced and show the data if anyone is interested. Basically cholesterol is a red herring for heart disease for the vast majority of people.

Here's something about Alzheimer and Ketones
How Ketones Can Combat Alzheimer’s | Alzheimers.net

And for the more science minded.
Ketogenic Diet in Alzheimer’s Disease

Last edited:
I wasn't going to go over the 50 total carbs for the day, so hell no I'm not going down that road simply because that is not sustainable or naturally intuitive.

Low carb and the way I'm doing it along with intermittent fasting has me absolutely not hungry at all and I have to remind myself to eat quite a few times. My diet is high in protein probably 30-40 % which is double the average consumption.
Good points and honest statements. Yes, I've increased m protein too, and on those days, like you, I feel fuller for much much longer and do not crave anything really, satisfied, lots of fruit, but in little quantities sprinkled over several hours span does me good too.

i have never heard of keto flu, that is interesting, thanks, will read into it. And thanks for the links.

Good points and honest statements. Yes, I've increased m protein too, and on those days, like you, I feel fuller for much much longer and do not crave anything really, satisfied, lots of fruit, but in little quantities sprinkled over several hours span does me good too.

i have never heard of keto flu, that is interesting, thanks, will read into it. And thanks for the links.
Yeah, the keto flu is quite common but like yourself most people haven't heard of it and the reason for that generally speaking is that quite a few people jump onto popular diets and just wing it and that's not a good thing lol.

The nutritional ketogenic diet back in the day when it was fairly unknown was discovered mostly by people that decided to take their heath into their own hands and that path generally started with removing most processed foods, then lowering their carb intake and seeing further improvements in their overall health with weight loss, getting off diabetes medication and depression medication for example. Basically the ketogenic diet is a journey and was a grass roots movement originally for better overall health, which basically removes even more carbs, under 50 and as low as 30 and people were finding addition benefits in inflammatory problems like arthritis, IBS and increased cognitive clarity and steady all day energy.

Unfortunately if a person that is use to eating a more standard diet and then transitioning directly into a ketogenic diet found they had brain fog, which is directly related to switching from glucose to ketones as it main energy source, also symptoms like fatigue, constipation and nausea were common. Now that it's a 10 billion dollar a year money maker and a very popular google searched diet people just jump on, give it a try, get keto flu and then say it didn't work for them.

Research and hard work is required if someone wants to improve their health because main stream medicine are basically drug dealers and actually tackling the root cause is not in their vocabulary with the end result just medicating the symptoms, especially considering the amount of nutritional training and knowledge almost all medical professionals have under their belt, which is pretty much zero and we are definitely doing ourselves a favor by doing the groundwork and the bonus is nutrition becomes more real and understandable and you just won't blindly be supporting an agenda that so far where most Countries are concerned are not in a good nutritional and health space, and it's not getting better, it's getting worse, ok rant over lol. Cheers.

Here's a decent description of keto flu
Keto Flu: What It Is, Symptoms and How to Get Rid of It - Perfect Keto

Last edited:

The Ketogenic Diet for Refractory Mental Illness: A Retrospective Analysis of 31 Inpatients.​

The Ketogenic Diet for Refractory Mental Illness: A Retrospective Analysis of 31 Inpatients

Can a diet have a profound effect on mental health. It's well known the effect of a ketogenic diet on Dementia and Alzheimer's disease. This is a recent study done in a clinical setting with 31 inpatients looking at mental health. The vast majority saw improvements in Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder and Schizoaffective disorder. This wasn't surprising considering the amount of empirical evidence from people using this diet for other health concerns like diabetes, weight management, kidney disease et al that mood and depression were much reduced or eliminated.

Conclusion​

In this retrospective analysis of clinical care, which to our knowledge represents the largest number of people with serious mental illness treated with a KD in a hospital setting thus far, we found that the KD was feasible, safe, well-tolerated, and associated with considerable improvements in mental health symptoms as well as in multiple markers of metabolic health. While more rigorous research is needed to confirm the association between the KD and improved mental health outcomes, these findings indicate that medically supervised carbohydrate restriction is a simple, safe, universally accessible intervention well worth considering as an adjunctive strategy in the treatment of serious mood and psychotic illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom