The most unconventional thing you've eaten?

"What's the special today, waiter?"

"The shark, sir."

"Tell me, is it rancid?"

"Oh yes, sir! Our shark is brought in daily from the slowest shark procurers in Iceland. It takes them weeks to get to the restaurant from just <points to the harbor> over there. It's positively spoiled, sir, I assure you!"

"Very good. I'll have that."

ACK. Something I don't want. I've had shark a tiny bit too old, so I KNOW I'll turn down rancid shark.

I am actually planning on joining a couple friends on a trip to Iceland next fall. Assuming I get my passport lined up and such in time. My friends, who have been there about four times to date, never mentioned rancid shark. I'm hoping they're not planning on THAT for a surprise.

I have to admit, something named "rancid shark" would turn me off. I've had shark - it has to be super fresh or else it tastes of ammonia and that ilk.

Hákarl is fermented, or some say, rotted shark. Anthony Bourdain ranked it as one the worst food experiences of his life. No way I could get drunk enough to try it.

CD

Hákarl is fermented, or some say, rotted shark. Anthony Bourdain ranked it as one the worst food experiences of his life. No way I could get drunk enough to try it.

CD

I will eat most everything. Once at least. But this one sounds like a NO. You may even get me to eat cottage cheese again...

I've no idea what huhu grubs are, but I've had alligator sausage (probably similar to croc) and ostrich. With the alligator it was too much sausage to tell what that was like, but I do like ostrich steak. Tastes like a very lean and tender steak of beef. More and better flavor than fillet mignon. Which, frankly, is over-rated.

I love squirrel, but never had the brains. I have, however, had lamb brains, and back when I was a youngster, Dad would make a calf brain salad. This was back late 60s early 70s prior to "mad Cow" - I wouldn't eat cow brains now - he'd cook them up, chill them down, serve with a viniagrette and capers. I liked them.

Hey, as a kid, if something wasn't cottage cheese, peas or brussels sprouts, I'd devour it. (I still feel the same way about cottage cheese.)

The grub we have here, served at wild foods at hokitika.

Russ

Snails, uni, geoduck.

I have no interest in squirrel. My cousin always hunted for them and offered, but I always passed. I'd like to try rabbit, but Craig refuses.

No interest in insects either. I'm sure I've eaten some unaware, but I'll just leave it at that.

There are some interesting looking items at the big Asian market we go to, but we haven't gotten up the courage to try them yet.

CD
There are levels, the stuff we had was mildly fermented and was edible if an aquired taste. The really bad stuff most restaurants won't have on the premises as the smell goes into everything.

ACK. Something I don't want. I've had shark a tiny bit too old, so I KNOW I'll turn down rancid shark.

I am actually planning on joining a couple friends on a trip to Iceland next fall. Assuming I get my passport lined up and such in time. My friends, who have been there about four times to date, never mentioned rancid shark. I'm hoping they're not planning on THAT for a surprise.
The food in Iceland is excellent, their white fish and lamb is about the best in the World. Puffin in season is nice and is now harvested sustainably, but please don't try the Whale, there is no justified reason for slaughtering Whales.

My dad couldn't stand rabbit or squirrel (or any other critter meat) because he ate so much of that growing up - considered poverty food, and he always associated it with hard times as a kid.

One of my favorite little song snippets:

"Well, they wonder why there ain't no rabbits left this day and time
To tell the truth I guess we ate 'em all in '49"

And a fun one about groundhogs:

"Here comes Sal with a snigger and a grin
Here comes Sal with a snigger and a grin
Groundhog grease all over her chin
Oh, groundhog!"

Well, it probably wasn't fun for the groundhog. :)

Ooh, I forgot, not eating, but drinking. First time in Italy, flew into Rome, then traveled north. I was with my girlfriend and we were met and staying with some friends she had there. We stopped for lunch at a mom and pop place that was run out of their home. They made everything, even the wine. The dining room was the front room of their home. At the end of our meal, we were served a dessert wine that had a big fat white worm in it. I was extremely hesitant to drink it, but my girlfriend did, not sure if it was bravery or the fact that we'd already had several glasses as we were served a different wine with every course, so I had a sip. OMG, it was so good. Anyway, pop had joined us for dessert and the wine. When the bottle was finished, he popped the worm in his mouth, chewed and swallowed with a big smile on his face.

Now, I had heard of tequila or mezcal with worms in them, but never wine before or since.

Back
Top Bottom