The never ending soup!

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
12:52 PM
I have been on here raving about The Pioneer Woman potato soup that I tried recently (and I hope some of you have tried it because it really is that good!!). Anyway, I was asked to make a pot of it for the Superbowl game viewing party tomorrow and decided to make my own homemade chicken broth to put in it. I purchased a whole chicken from the store and added all of the staple ingredients for chicken broth. It ended up making 12 cups of broth, but the entire soup and broth process took me like 6 hours to complete. Next time I will just stick to store bought broth.

Oh wow, sounds like you had your hands very full! I bet it tastes a lot better with the homemade broth though right? I find that homemade always adds that personal touch to food and gives it a more homey taste. Well done to you for going all out. I haven't tried the soup you are talking about yet, will definitely need to try it soon!

I have yet to come across a Pioneer woman recipe that I can't rave about! My family loves potato soup so I'm going to have to give her recipe a try. I wonder, do you think you can freeze some of the leftover broth? I've read tips before about putting broth in ice cube trays and freezing it into cubes you have them at the ready if you need to throw some into a recipe. I haven't tried it and don't know how long it would last in the freezer.

If I ate all of the Pioneer Woman's recipes I would be morbidly obese I will admit that right now. She is amazing and I love the ranch lifestyle she lives. The soup tasted even better with the homemade broth and I still have about 8 cups of broth leftover that I can use at a later time. The broth is in my freezer now seperated into 4 cup containers.

You don't really need to use a whole chicken to make broth, that's kind of a waste imo. Instead, if you de-bone and remove the skin from the chicken parts when you get home from the store with them, and gradually save those up over time, those are all you need to make the broth. In fact, you can even skip the carrots and celery and expensive fresh herbs such as thyme, and make a really simple broth with just onions and garlic, salt and pepper, and perhaps an acid of some sort, i like to use a tomato but a little wine works too, which helps draw more flavor out of the bones. For the vegetables, I just save up scraps in a bag in the freezer, and use those - such as the base and leaves of celery, the tops of tomatoes, the bottoms of carrots, etc...

It does take a long time to make a pot of broth over the stove, but at the same time, you aren't really doing much with it throughout the day except occasionally stirring it. Otherwise you can make it in a slow cooker if you don't like leaving your burner on, or a way faster alternative is to make it in a pressure cooker - which only takes about an hour and a half and extracts a ton of flavor.

The website Steamy Kitchen recently published an article where she makes a bone broth in her slow cooker for several *days* - in fact she recommends cooking it for at least an entire day before eating some of it, then she adds a little water each day after eating some of it each day, to keep it going.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to try your simple way of making broth. The whole chicken process just seems to take way too long and it is a waste of perfectly good veggies in my opinion. I end up throwing the veggies away because they are waterlogged and flavorless after making the broth. I did save the chicken and make fajitas with it a couple of days later.

We make chicken stock just by boiling up the carcass of a roast chicken after we've picked all the meat off it.

We make chicken stock just by boiling up the carcass of a roast chicken after we've picked all the meat off it.

Best way. A lot of things can produce a great stock/broth using bones and odds and ends you wouldn't generally eat. We wouldn't use a whole bird just for a broth/soup.

I think I am going to save the carcass next time we have a roasted chicken, it would probably make broth making go a lot faster since you do not have to wait for any meat to boil and cook through. The roasted chickens I get at the grocery store are full of herbs and spices and are very greasy, so I imagine they would make great stock!

I make my broth by taking what is left of the chicken and boil it down picking off any meat that may fall off the bones during the cooking process. Some of the roasted chickens from the store are just too greasy I don't like the broth left in the pany when they are cooked down.

Back
Top Bottom