The Placenta and Child birth

I have. I think its mainly new age people who do it. :sick: personally id rather not :laugh: its gone out of fashion now
More an old fashion practice than a new one. Piece from a medical paper, October 1961, desribed the practice. In it, it was said to be going out of fashion.

Check the Latin for cake.

I'm sure most mothers now have injection to deliver the placenta that would render the placenta un edible ,so I'm sure the practice of eating it is now confined to the past in quite a large percentage ,on the call the mid wife bbc program about the midwives of the east end of london just after the war it seemed to be the delicacy of Hackney:sick:

I have. I think its mainly new age people who do it. :sick: personally id rather not :laugh: its gone out of fashion now

More an old fashion practice than a new one. Piece from a medical paper, October 1961, desribed the practice. In it, it was said to be going out of fashion.

Check the Latin for cake.

My understanding of the practice is that it dates back to times of hardship and famine. To times when meat was a luxury item and famine common. The belief, I understand, was that it returned some strength to the mother and provided her with a nutritional meal just after child birth when she was at her weakest and her body asking the most of her. In these circumstances, the placenta would be a very good source of meat, vitamins and minerals helping the mother with breast milk and the strength to recover from what was usually a much harder experience than it is today (going by the death rates).

It was then also now more frowned on than the practice of feeding a newly born child it's dead mother's breast milk (if any came down), something most would shy away from today with an eww... gross. But then, it would have been an essential first meal for a newly born now motherless child when formula milk was not an option.

There is also the fertility ritual side of it as well which I have read about but forgotten which faith claims that.

Most seem to use the placenta as either a naming rite or bonding ritual between mother and child and often either burn it ceremoniously or bury it at the base of a tree. Buddhism I think it is places it at the base of a statue of Buddha as a form of blessing.

I'm sure most mothers now have injection to deliver the placenta that would render the placenta un edible ,so I'm sure the practice of eating it is now confined to the past in quite a large percentage ,on the call the mid wife bbc program about the midwives of the east end of london just after the war it seemed to be the delicacy of Hackney:sick:
The injection (and you can refuse it, I did) is oxytocin or similar - a natural hormone which is produced by the woman's body to contract the womb. It occurs quite naturally post childbirth. It is also produced when the baby suckles the breast and those who have breast fed their babies my recall a tightening feeling in the uterus when they fed (especially in the first few days). This actually helps the mother's womb get back in shape! So, I don't think the injection would render the placenta inedible.

The injection (and you can refuse it, I did) is oxytocin or similar - a natural hormone which is produced by the woman's body to contract the womb. It occurs quite naturally post childbirth. It is also produced when the baby suckles the breast and those who have breast fed their babies my recall a tightening feeling in the uterus when they fed (especially in the first few days). This actually helps the mother's womb get back in shape! So, I don't think the injection would render the placenta inedible.
None of this is for me !when my boys were born the last thing I thought was do you know what? I know what I've got for tea now ,I'm always looking at new foods and techniques,and ideas but .........nah placenta ticks no boxes
All I remembered was the injection being given,and then a little bit latter the placenta,and then the needle and thread !
I think I asked little amount of questions ,I know a couple of mid wives ,when I see them next I'll broach the subject,but it's something I could not just blurt out ,hi how's it going,do any of your ladies fry up the placenta....

Back
Top Bottom