The Proper Way To Hold A Knife While In the Kitchen

sorrowscall

Veteran
Local time
1:01 AM
Recently, it came to my attention that my younger siblings (14 or above) don't hold a knife properly in the safe way while they are using one in the kitchen. This is just a quick overview of what to do for those who might not know. When not using a knife in the kitchen for cutting or chopping, etc. , then it's imperative for a person to hold the knife blade down where the handle is pointed to the sky and the blade is pointed to the floor. This helps to prevent unnecessary accidents in the kitchen.

Great advice sorrowscall, this is something they should teach you in Home Economics classes at school. So many accidents happen because people don't know the safe way to hold a knife. Thanks for sharing!

Great advice sorrowscall, this is something they should teach you in Home Economics classes at school. So many accidents happen because people don't know the safe way to hold a knife. Thanks for sharing!

Where on earth can you still take home economics at school? For most schools that went out the door after the 1950s. I only know of one school here where kids learn kitchen skills and that is only because of the school's garden program. None of the other stuff from home ec, i.e. sewing, is even a part of it.
Recently, it came to my attention that my younger siblings (14 or above) don't hold a knife properly in the safe way while they are using one in the kitchen. This is just a quick overview of what to do for those who might not know. When not using a knife in the kitchen for cutting or chopping, etc. , then it's imperative for a person to hold the knife blade down where the handle is pointed to the sky and the blade is pointed to the floor. This helps to prevent unnecessary accidents in the kitchen.

Knife skills are extremely important for kitchen efficiency as well as for safety. It's a little more involved than just the position you describe above, Perhaps a video or infographic would help illustrate your point.

Of course safety is an issue when handling sharp knives. Unless they are taught by a parent or responsible adult, or they attend college courses in food preparation and cookery, most young people will not learn this.

More important is how the knife is held when it's being used for cutting, chopping, slicing, dicing etc. If the wrong technique is used, the fingers are likely to be cut, chopped or sliced instead the of the item on the chopping board.

I helped a local scout group do there coking badge and so had to cover Knife safety as part of the badge,such as safe carriage of knife ,correct knife to use,keeping the knife sharp,and cleaning the knife,and of course how to use a knife,
i still told them that the most dangerous item to cut your self on is the cutter on the cling film

Back
Top Bottom