The right wine glass very important

Pat

Veteran
Local time
4:35 AM
The right wine glass helps to make the wine taste better, do you know which glass goes with which wine? This chart may help.
4b912278f059f96bf9f234b8a39c90d1.jpg

Attachments

• 4b912278f059f96bf9f234b8a39c90d1.jpg
    4b912278f059f96bf9f234b8a39c90d1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 130
I've often heard that your choice of glass is really important. I believe it is connected with the amount of oxygen that hits the liquid, although I may be wrong!

It's largely marketing cobblers - use a regular shaped wine glass, don't overfill it and you'll be fine.

And anyway, why would a red burgundy and pinot noir glass be different, given that red burgundy is pinot noir? Also, when was the last time anyone drank "hock" - the 1800s, LOL!

Oddly when I ask people if they actually like hock most say yes. Like many of the things we seem to laugh at about the 70s etc people appear to ashamed to admit they drank/ate something because they liked it and not because they were told it was 'better'.

We have lots of cut glass glasses but never use them according to wine type ,normally use different size glasses to distinguish between red and white and use a slim Jim style glass for water, I have a set of small hock glasses

Oddly when I ask people if they actually like hock most say yes. Like many of the things we seem to laugh at about the 70s etc people appear to ashamed to admit they drank/ate something because they liked it and not because they were told it was 'better'.

Pineapple chunk and cheese nibble on a cocktail stick anyone? :laugh:

360f7065b0bb8c9e015a79778ba3d9d0.jpg

Attachments

• 360f7065b0bb8c9e015a79778ba3d9d0.jpg
    360f7065b0bb8c9e015a79778ba3d9d0.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 139
What type of cheese are you using, I can see it is a white cheese, so it is not chedar. I love cheese and pineapple but would not have thought of putting them together.

I have a limited budget so I use the same wine glasses for all wines that I drink and have really never noticed a difference in taste. I am not a wine expert, so it could be that I am just an amateur when it comes to the subtle hints of wine tastes. I do know that white wine looks nicer in a skinny flute glass though.

What type of cheese are you using, I can see it is a white cheese, so it is not chedar. I love cheese and pineapple but would not have thought of putting them together.

That looks like white cheddar to me..

Any cheese with that texture will do - Cheddar, red Leicester, Double Gloucester. Red Leicester works very well, as it has a tang that compliments the sweetness of the pineapple.

A crumbly cheese like Cheshire or Wensleydale is likely to fall off the cocktail stick, and Edam would be a bit bland.

We can get cheese like Wensleydale or White Stilton that has bits of pineapple in it, but it's better to have a chunk of pineapple with a chunk of cheese, you get the juiciness.

The above sort of proves my case really - the 70/80s were great times for food. Just eat what you enjoyed because it tasted nice and stuff the 'experts'.
As for the OP I was once told by a very experienced wine lover to just use a standard wine glass with a slight bowl shape to capture the aroma but other than that it was more or less bunkum [not sure a pint beer glass would look too good however].

The above sort of proves my case really - the 70/80s were great times for food. Just eat what you enjoyed because it tasted nice and stuff the 'experts'.
As for the OP I was once told by a very experienced wine lover to just use a standard wine glass with a slight bowl shape to capture the aroma but other than that it was more or less bunkum [not sure a pint beer glass would look too good however].

I heard an expert on the radio say that opening a bottle of red early to let it 'breathe' is rubbish. The narrow neck of the bottle means only a tiny amount of air gets in, which only reaches the tiny surface area of the wine in the bottle.. To properly aerate it, you should pour half of it out, shake the bottle, then pour the half back in. Or decant it fully into another decanter. But so many people swear by 'letting it breathe', and probably claim they can taste a non-existent difference.

I recently read a really nice article about selecting the right wine glass. It also discussed how holding the wine glass by the stem is important. When you hold the bowl of the glass in your hand instead, you change the temperature of the wine because your hands are warm. I thought it was pretty interesting. I like the chart you posted, Pat. Wine Folly also has a chart for pairing.

i through a 70s night,and we sold out prawn cocktail,primula canapés,chicken kiev,black forrest gateaux to name a few,fancy dress adorned,mateus rose,great night ,but the food and drink that people had in the past is being reintroduced there has been a recent injection in the large uk super markets of Asti spumante martini,served in a champagne saucer the past is coming back in a good way

Well, I think there must be some truth to these glass styles, although maybe not all. I believe a flute is ideal for champagne for keeping the most bubbles in it, or something. Also I do have bordeaux glasses and think wine tastes much better out of them than my smaller more standard glasses.

Back
Top Bottom