The Salt Myth

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:21 AM
There has been some recent discussion on the forum about salt in the diet so I dug out this reference to an interesting article. This is not a sensationalist journalist's article so I think its worth some serious consideration.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/

Here is an extract but its well worth reading the whole article if you are interested in this subject to understand why the concept of eating less salt to stay healthier might be flawed.

For decades, policy makers have tried and failed to get Americans to eat less salt. In April 2010 the Institute of Medicine urged the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate the amount of salt that food manufacturers put into products; New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has already convinced 16 companies to do so voluntarily. But if the U.S. does conquer salt, what will we gain? Bland french fries, for sure. But a healthy nation? Not necessarily.

This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous.

Thanks for the links. I read through the first one. I'd take it with a grain of salt :wink:. I trust what my cardiologist tells me, not a journalist's article. The article mentions that salt does not prevent heart disease. I was told to limit my salt intake and prescribed a diuretic because there already was a problem. Not as a preventative measure. My rule of thumb is always to consult with a physician rather than take medical or health advice from the web. The article also knows nothing about individual's personal health and medical history. Just my opinion.

And... Speaking of preventive measures. I am very much opposed to prescribed blood thinners, which are supposed to prevent stroke. Don't know if I should go into it here, as I don't want to be off topic.

I trust what my cardiologist tells me, not a journalist's article.

Its up to you (of course it is!). I agree that there is a lot of very dangerous and spurious advice on the internet and I am careful to only post health related links which are backed by scientific study (not some quack's or journalist's opinion!).

This is an article based on scientific research and was published in a reputable scientific journal (Scientific American). I don't think this is the journalist's point of view but rather a presentation of scientific studies (or lack of them!). This article isn't really advising anything - its simply pointing out contradictory evidence and lack of an evidence base for the benefits of salt reduction in the diet.

And... Speaking of preventive measures. I am very much opposed to prescribed blood thinners, which are supposed to prevent stroke. Don't know if I should go into it here, as I don't want to be off topic.

Re blood thinners I have had contradictory advice on whether to take them. I've chosen not to. If you want to start another thread about that then feel free! :)

Its up to you (of course it is!). I agree that there is a lot of very dangerous and spurious advice on the internet and I am careful to only post health related links which are backed by scientific study (not some quack's or journalist's opinion!).

This is an article based on scientific research and was published in a reputable scientific journal (Scientific American). I don't think this is the journalist's point of view but rather a presentation of scientific studies (or lack of them!). This article isn't really advising anything - its simply pointing out contradictory evidence and lack of an evidence base for the benefits of salt reduction in the diet.

In my opinion, I think a journalist can sometimes slant the article in the direction they want to take it, or for whatever the reason. Perhaps, just to get a buzz going, or be contradictory. I don't know. At the end of the day, as I said, I take it with a grain of salt, and follow my doctor's medical advice (sometimes :wink: ). Interesting read, though.

Last edited:
I haven't read the article (I'll try to find some time later), but there is a surprising amount of more recent research coming out that debunks some of the well-known so-called truths of what is good and what is bad for us (there was a previous discussion on here about fat along the same kind of lines). It seems that a lot of the established healthy eating advice we given (especially around the benefits of the Mediterranean diet) actually came about following biased research sponsored by certain special interest groups within the food industry. And despite the recent research disproving some of the established advice, many doctors are reluctant to change the advice they in turn give out.

I'm not suggesting anyone ignores their doctor's advice, but sometimes it can be a good idea to challenge them, point them towards certain research articles and ask them their reasoned opinion. After all, they are only human and they may not be aware of all the recently-published research.

Before I comment, I read the article, and have first-hand experience on the topic as it pertains to me. I don't challenge my doctors. They don't like it, and neither do I. I do, however, ask questions. In fact, I seek multiple opinions and advice from medical doctors.
As a matter of fact, there are five cardiologists in the office that I am currently going to, and they work in the hospital as well. I doubt that their cumulative knowledge and experience is outdated.

I do, however, read articles, and do research on my own, and can appreciate the links to the articles that morning glory posted.

Last edited:
I have high blood pressure, which was undiagnosed until my late 20s when I was denied when attempting to donate blood. My doctor's first reaction was for me to go on a low sodium diet for a month, and then return to see if that was sufficient to bring the blood pressure down. It wasn't enough to put me in the safe range, so he prescribed blood pressure medication, which I take to this day.

When there's a low sodium alternative, I'll use it. For example, some stocks have a reduced sodium version. But, that's mostly a moot point, since I usually make my own stocks (which are much lower in salt than even the reduced sodium ones in the store). My thought is that I can always adjust the salt later.

But, I don't make adjustments to my recipes for sodium content. At all. The ones I post are always about the taste first and the overall healthiness second (these are really more like 1A and 1B as far as I'm concerned, and I'll always make something somewhat less healthy if it tastes better). I never make something with a goal toward minimizing the sodium content, and my blood pressure remains in the safe range. I would surely think differently if my blood pressure couldn't be controlled so effectively with medication.

I have high blood pressure, which was undiagnosed until my late 20s when I was denied when attempting to donate blood. My doctor's first reaction was for me to go on a low sodium diet for a month, and then return to see if that was sufficient to bring the blood pressure down. It wasn't enough to put me in the safe range, so he prescribed blood pressure medication, which I take to this day.

When there's a low sodium alternative, I'll use it. For example, some stocks have a reduced sodium version. But, that's mostly a moot point, since I usually make my own stocks (which are much lower in salt than even the reduced sodium ones in the store). My thought is that I can always adjust the salt later.

But, I don't make adjustments to my recipes for sodium content. At all. The ones I post are always about the taste first and the overall healthiness second (these are really more like 1A and 1B as far as I'm concerned, and I'll always make something somewhat less healthy if it tastes better). I never make something with a goal toward minimizing the sodium content, and my blood pressure remains in the safe range. I would surely think differently if my blood pressure couldn't be controlled so effectively with medication.

I take 1 bp pill a day for last few years. Also 1 pain pill a day as well. My bp is perfect.

Russ

Interesting articles on salt. An awful lot of what food 'experts' have told us over recent decades (in fact, probably forever) seems of dubious merit to say the least. I use salt in cooking only when needed and when nothing else will do, but seldom ever add it to cooked food. Apart from chips (fries) - I cannot eat them without a good covering of table salt. In fact, I probably would not eat them at all if I couldn't salt them.

Sounds like me!

I don't put any salt in my veges. No one has ever said you need more salt. But I do keep salt on the table. I was at dinner the other night and a big guy ordered a meal that was massive. He had his back to me and I watched him put what must have been a tablespoon of salt on his meal. I couldn't believe the amount he put on. This guy is heart attack material. His lady friend/ wife was a tiny wee thing. She never used the salt. If it sounds like I was being intrusive, I wasn't, I just observed.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom