The Size of Vegetables

Sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear. 1 cup of chopped carrots could easily be say 2 carrots or 4 depending on if the chop size is large or small. If my OH was doing it, then chopped carrots could easily be 1cm or more long and a large carrot just quartered length ways. He likes large mouthfuls and bites. Something (like the avocado chocolate chip cookie/scones I made) that take me 3 or 4 bites/mouthfuls, he will eat in 1. If it was me cutting it up, then it would be much smaller and so I would use many more carrots, so I prefer a recipe to say 3 large carrots (and large is not something UK supermarkets are good at doing in the way of carrots - I prefer them from greengrocers but we won't go there). It is the same with potatoes. If fact potatoes are the only thing we agree on, they should be chunky when made into chips (UK chips that is). I don't like the think floppy things that are mostly grease.

Anyhow - I have some sunblinds to make so I have to go and do it whilst he is not here and I have the space.
We are having a misunderstanding. Give me 5 minutes.

Since I happen to need a couple of cups of carrots, I will chop some, dice some and slice the rest.
Luckily I have baby carrots so they are roughly the same size.
You have me curious as to how much difference there would be.
Remember US measurements are loosely packed unless otherwise specified.

Oh @SatNavSaysStraightOn,
I am hearing my little brother in my head. He would say that professional chefs in the US use actual weights like pounds and grams. Not cups and spoons.

Oh and on the carrots 3 different chop, slice sizes didn't make much of a difference.
But I am 100% positive that either one of our husbands could fit many more carrots in that space.

I'm rather a fan of the cup measurement because, providing you know what size a U.S. 'cup' is, it gives an immediate idea of the amount of an ingredient you need, whereas if I read 100 grams of (say) peas, I wouldn't really know unless I get out the scales. It may not be super accurate but the cup is also great for simple baking recipes, I think.

I'm rather a fan of the cup measurement because, providing you know what size a U.S. 'cup' is, it gives an immediate idea of the amount of an ingredient you need, whereas if I read 100 grams of (say) peas, I wouldn't really know unless I get out the scales. It may not be super accurate but the cup is also great for simple baking recipes, I think.
The cup system is good for home cooking. If you need a recipe to be exact every time (especially in chain restaurants) then the weight system becomes more important.

Since this is a vegetable size thread, I thought I would show you the bag of potatoes I bought the other day.
20161112_102913.jpg The bag said just toss in boiling water.
The potatoes range from 1.25 inches to 2.5 inches.
Needless to say, I will be cutting them into somewhat uniform pieces to cook.

A bog standard carrot here is about 40 mm diameter (at the widest point) and around 200 mm long.

Yorky,
That was about the size of your carrots.
Ours are typically 25 mm or less at the top and about 150 mm long but very tapered.
So we typically have small carrots.
Now potatoes on the other hand range from 1.5 inches to 6 inches. There is no standard potato.

I grew up with nice chunky carrots covered in soil and often split in to 2 roots or more... That reminds me, I must get some more carrot seeds sown. Add that to my to do list which at this rate might happen this time next year!

The bowl is 150 mm diameter. "Thai hot" chilies (as opposed to prik kee noo).

chili and garlic.jpg

[Edit: The chilies shown above were Bht 10.00 (US$ 0.30). I remember paying 70p for 6 Thai chilies in Harrods 30 years ago]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom