There is surely nothing worse than washing sieves

Duck59

Guru
Local time
3:07 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
Is there? It doesn't seem to matter what they're made of or how much they cost. I've tried metal sieves, synthetic sieves, you name it sieves, but the same thing happens. You keep them neat for a while, but they become shabby in no time.

What's the answer? Is there an answer?

Is there? It doesn't seem to matter what they're made of or how much they cost. I've tried metal sieves, synthetic sieves, you name it sieves, but the same thing happens. You keep them neat for a while, but they become shabby in no time.

What's the answer? Is there an answer?
No - not that I know of. I don't tend to use mine at all. What are you sieving?

Just had some curry...rice, sieve, sieve, rice. The sieve is quite new, but looking a bit tired already.

I know it's not just me, or Half Man Half Biscuit wouldn't have given me the thread title.

I have an old plastic one that helps me out all the time. Maybe it's because I only use it when making my lemonade and not use it for anything hot really. I have honestly thought that it was a cheap faithful friend..they actually as I have about three plastic ones of varying sizes. The metal ones rust easily somehow.

Just had some curry...rice, sieve, sieve, rice. The sieve is quite new, but looking a bit tired already.

I know it's not just me, or Half Man Half Biscuit wouldn't have given me the thread title.
I'm not sure why you are sieving rice. I never do. I use the absorption method. But if I was cooking brown rice which does need 'sieving' I'd use my colander which stays looking sparkly - its not as big as it looks in the picture (the lens in my computer makes it look like I've got a huge hand too!). Its maybe 6 inches diameter
Photo on 12-01-2016 at 14.26.jpg

I've been trying to think when I do use a sieve. Its not very often as I find in most instances a colander with fairly small holes does the job (as pictured above). I think I tend to use a sieve only if I'm trying to strain out really fine particles from something - perhaps for stock? Even then, I generally use the above mentioned. I have sometimes made sauces where you have to 'push them through a sieve' using something like a wooden spoon to force it through. I don't do that very often, but I think then that the sieve is a pain to clean! Best avoided.

Calling up @Berties here, who as our resident real Chef can explain when and how to use sieves and (hopefully) the best way to clean them!
Hoping for a reply from @Berties! I only use my sieve to filter sauces, gravies, or to remove seeds from pureed fruits. As far as cleaning mine goes, I of course do the ole' scrub and bub' with hot water and soap, but if after the fact I am finding things still a bit 'icky', I mix a bit of vinegar and lemon juice together, add it to a vessel containing hot water, and then pour the whole mixture over and through it, slowly, and then let it cool a bit before rubbing it clean and rinsing. This method does a great job, better than the hot water and soap do initially, but it never gets all of those tiny holes 'squeaky clean'! I am beginning to think that the feat may be impossible. Maybe we should just buy a new sieve everytime we need one, lol. I have two, though... one that looks very similair to yours, Morning Glory, and then, a plastic one with much smaller perforations. Soaking a whole sieve in the lemon juice, vinegar and hot water mixture for a while however..... perhaps that might work. Have never tried it, but now I have inspired myself!

@Berties... like it's been said, you are our resident REAL chef. We are looking forward to your advice and wisdom! :)

I'm not sure why you are sieving rice. I never do. I use the absorption method. But if I was cooking brown rice which does need 'sieving' I'd use my colander which stays looking sparkly - its not as big as it looks in the picture (the lens in my computer makes it look like I've got a huge hand too!). Its maybe 6 inches diameter
View attachment 2200
Same thing.... unsure of why you are sieving your rice? Please enlighten me, Duck59!

Hoping for a reply from @Berties! I only use my sieve to filter sauces, gravies, or to remove seeds from pureed fruits. As far as cleaning mine goes, I of course do the ole' scrub and bub' with hot water and soap, but if after the fact I am finding things still a bit 'icky', I mix a bit of vinegar and lemon juice together, add it to a vessel containing hot water, and then pour the whole mixture over and through it, slowly, and then let it cool a bit before rubbing it clean and rinsing. This method does a great job, better than the hot water and soap do initially, but it never gets all of those tiny holes 'squeaky clean'! I am beginning to think that the feat may be impossible. Maybe we should just buy a new sieve everytime we need one, lol. I have two, though... one that looks very similair to yours, Morning Glory, and then, a plastic one with much smaller perforations. Soaking a whole sieve in the lemon juice, vinegar and hot water mixture for a while however..... perhaps that might work. Have never tried it, but now I have inspired myself!

@Berties... like it's been said, you are our resident REAL chef. We are looking forward to your advice and wisdom! :)
Get rid of the bulk in the strainer,give it a good beat on the bin ,turn it upside down on a rack and we have a spray hose attached to our taps and give it a careful spray through ,a lot of homes have these as well now,and either wash in soapy water or dishwasher this has always worked on sieves,chinois and chronicle strainers ,I have always used a metal sieve as I can pass purrees through it and mashed potato,a fine sieve I would only use for flour so cleaning not a massive issue ,drum sieves you have to take care with drying as they are normally wooden rimmed ,where as tamis sieve you can normally take apart for cleaning,any staining you can use lemon juice or any mild citrus acid cleaner

I only really use a sieve when I'm baking - otherwise I use a colander. For rice I use a rice cooker - I used to think they were the most ridiculous inventions ever, but they sure do make life easier - I used to be driven batty when cooking rice and having to sieve out the water!

View attachment 2200

It's my rice and I'll sieve if I want to...

Facetious responses aside, I like to rinse boiled rice with boiling water and this rather necessitates the presence of a sieve. I do the same with couscous and I also use a sieve to strain lentils.

I have a sieve here that has been around for a while, and I hope it will be around for a lot longer. It is used mostly for squeezing limes when making lemonade. The sieve holds the seeds that are contained in the limes. Once before, I used to see my mother sieving flour before using it, and I started to follow suit. However, after a while, I stopped sieving flour since I did not see the need for doing so. My sieve has also been used for sieving loose tea, but I hardly ever use loose tea these days.

Washing the sieve is quite easy and, as far as I can see, it has not caused a deterioration in the sieve. However, the sieve does have a few stain marks in it and I will see if I can remove these marks with a scrub bud. The idea of sieving rice has given me a great idea, since I have never done so. I just wash the rice in a bowl and use my hand to prevent any rice from getting out of the bowl while I am pouring off the water.

Facetious responses aside, I like to rinse boiled rice with boiling water and this rather necessitates the presence of a sieve. I do the same with couscous and I also use a sieve to strain lentils.
But why wouldn't something like the colander pictured do? The holes are too small for the rice grains to fall through. As a matter of interest, why do you rinse rice in boiling water? Its not a normal method. Nor is rinsing couscous - it should absorb the boiling water poured over it. As for lentils, I suppose I might strain puy lentils (possibly) - but not orange lentils which cook into a mush or brown.green lentils.

Back
Top Bottom