Thickening and layering elements in a fruit cup dessert

Agar Agar started being used as a substitute for something that cooks had been getting by with before that intro.

Its been around and in culinary use for over a hundred years. Certainly it was used in Victorian times. Much longer in Asian countries. Here it is very cheap to buy.

I don't know what classic method means.

When a chef is 'classically trained' it means they have been trained in French classic cooking, which was at one time (and often still is) widely acknowledged as the basis for 'fine dining' in the Western world. Many of the basic methods used by home cooks are French classic methods, such as making a Béchamel sauce.

I understand - gelatine and agar can both be used to thicken rather than produce a clear jelly.
If I can find Gelatine or Agar next time I go to the grocer, I will get some and evaluate.

For now, I have to plan on doing my recipe with Cream Cheese, Yogurt or Ricotta. I know that they will give me the effect I want.

Try this for starters, I used to make it for my nieces mainly as a cover because I loved it.
Strawberry Milk Agar-Agar

That's an interesting example. It shows how to use a mold that I was looking at a while back and the results of using Agar. What I notice is a very glossy texture to the result. That's something for me to think about. Cream Cheese, Yogurt and Ricotta will not achieve that glossy look, but the look they produce may be preferred, instead of the gloss.

The other thing about Gelatin and Agar are that they produce a Colloid Suspension that is a single unit element, noticeable, not only in texture, but visibly to the consumer as a wobbly part of the whole dessert that when broken with a spoon, splits into pieces and does not flow.

I think I prefer a more viscous semi-liquid state to the layer elements with a grainier texture that once broken by a spoon, flows, even if it mixes with other layers.

There's much to consider here about the perceived final results. Gelatin and Agar produce entirely different final products that would the alternative thickeners I have proposed.

I think I prefer a more viscous semi-liquid state to the layer elements with a grainier texture that once broken by a spoon, flows, even if it mixes with other layers.

Agar will give you that result. It depends how much you use. It is often used in sauces to thicken them. I've used it that way myself.

Agar will give you that result. It depends how much you use. It is often used in sauces to thicken them. I've used it that way myself.

Well, I've debated quite a bit on this matter and your statements that I quote here have me convinced to give Agar a try, if I can find it in the store this weekend. If you have any hints how much to use in proportion to say a 1/2 Cup Layer of Fruit Paste, Creamed Cocoa, Creamed Mango, etc., I'd be much appreciative.

Thank You.

Well, I've debated quite a bit on this matter and your statements that I quote here have me convinced to give Agar a try, if I can find it in the store this weekend. If you have any hints how much to use in proportion to say a 1/2 Cup Layer of Fruit Paste, Creamed Cocoa, Creamed Mango, etc., I'd be much appreciative.

Thank You.

Agar is activated by boiling in liquid for 5 mins. This might be a drawback if you are working with fresh raw fruit purées. I found this advice:
Sometimes you do not want to bring the liquid you are gelling to a boil. In this situation you have two options to hydrate the agar. First, you can disperse and hydrate the agar in a small amount of the liquid and blend the rest of the liquid into it after hydration. Second, you can disperse and hydrate the agar in water, then blend the liquid into that.

As a percentage, I'd use a 1% ratio of agar to fruit purée.

Agar is activated by boiling in liquid for 5 mins. This might be a drawback if you are working with fresh raw fruit purées. I found this advice:

Thanks. I'll have to do some experimenting.

I went out this morning to get groceries and Agar was on my list. Unfortunately, the store I went to did not carry it. I got a 1 Oz. packet of Gelatin instead. I will try for Agar again at another store before I start my project.

I'll cook a grape juice jelly tomorrow and use it as the base layer for a chocolate bavarian cream as a topping. It's not easy to whip it to perfection and I've seen different creams on different levels. I hope, I can make a nice dessert the next days. Stay healthy

Back
Top Bottom