Things You Use When You Don't Have the Right Equipment

apike

Veteran
Local time
10:23 AM
I've had to get creative in the kitchen when it comes to equipment. For example, today, I was making pie crust and someone killed my rolling pin. I don't know who it was, I'm not going to ask, but it was someone other than me. Well, I had already made the dough and I needed to roll it out. I figured, a basic, round cup would do the trick and it did! I mean, it's not perfect, but it works for what I needed it to do.

What kind of stuff have you had to do when your equipment wasn't working?

I didn't have an empanada press when I was making some apple empanadas the other day. I had to think on my feet because I had already made a huge bowl full of dough and didn't want it to go to waste. I then put a plate in a ziploc bag and used it press empanadas. It was so easy to do and I made perfect circles.

Sometimes improvised equipment is the best! Apple empanadas sound sooo good, btw. I've done something similar when I'm making quesadillas. I don't have a quesadilla maker but I pan fry mine and put a heavy plate on top. No, they aren't by any means perfect when they come out, but it works nicely if I'm just making some for home.

Alton Brown has always been a huge advocate for improvising in the kitchen. He's always said that if a piece of equipment doesn't have multiple uses, then it might not be worth buying, lol.

One of the coolest things I saw Alton Brown build was an electric outdoor smoker with some terra cotta pots and an electric burner. I've been meaning to try that for some time now.

You could have also used a can of cooking spray as a rolling pin too, btw.

Another trick I saw recently that I thought was clever was to use the bottom of the glass to press the dough into the edges of a tart pan. It gives you a perfectly flat and clean edge.

Back
Top Bottom