Those Elcheapo Charcoal Grilles

Love my Weber’s. Got two 2 22 inch grills and a Smokey Joe for camping / tailgating. I can’t tell you how old my first one is but I’ve replaced the grates several times.

I have 2 - 22.5 Kettles, too. Here's my "family," as of now. I sold my Weber "Bullet" smoker.

One 22.5 Master Touch (Redhead) - 1995
One 22.5 One Touch Gold - 2015
One Smokey Joe Platinum (Jumbo Joe) - 1991
One Genesis Gasser - 2001

Webers2121001.jpg

The Black OTG and the Genesis are outside 24/7/365. The other two are in the garage, until I need them. I also have a Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit for either of the 22.5 Kettles.

BTW, there are date codes on all Weber grills, and date code guides online, so it is easy to find when they were made.

CD

Last edited:
My brother in law was asking what smoker I recommend for him to get as a first smoker, and all I know is, he probably shouldn't get what I got. I was going to push him towards a weber smokey mountain or an original kettle, but he would need to learn temperature management on his own as I am spoiled by my gas burner experience.

So a friend of mine said he made a discovery, just put the steaks right on the coals, when done blow/brush the ashes off. A small amount of ashes is fine, they are more sterile than anything in your kitchen.

T

So a friend of mine said he made a discovery, just put the steaks right on the coals, when done blow/brush the ashes off. A small amount of ashes is fine, they are more sterile than anything in your kitchen.

T

That is called "caveman style" steak. I've done it, and it works. Hardwood "lump" charcoal works best. The ashes brush off easier and there are no binders in the coals. I've also done it on hot coals from a campfire while camping.

Try it. It's fun.

CD

T
I subscribe to a youtuber that did an experiment on the best way to sear a steak and he compared the flavor profiles; the episode included the "caveman style" ie directly cooking on coals vs coking on grill, vs cast iron pan. I don't remember if there were other methods tested. "Mad scientist bbq" is his channel name. I don't think that method is for me though haha.

That is called "caveman style" steak. I've done it, and it works. Hardwood "lump" charcoal works best. The ashes brush off easier and there are no binders in the coals. I've also done it on hot coals from a campfire while camping.

Try it. It's fun.

CD
Craig told me his troop did that when he was a boy scout.

Those "thingies" are "flavorizer bars," and you can get them cheap and easy from Weber's outstanding customer service department. Just call them, give them the model number off the back or your grill, and they will ship your new parts -- and keep your grill information on file, so if you need anything else, they already know what you have.
It took a month, but my grill parts finally arrived. Charmaster Casey...could I have gotten a few more grillings out of these?

It took a month, but my grill parts finally arrived. Charmaster Casey...could I have gotten a few more grillings out of these?
View attachment 65695

Wow, I've always received my parts within a week. I wonder if Covid messed up their supply chain, too.

As for the flavorizer bars, I'd say you got all you are going to get out of them.

CD

Wow, I've always received my parts within a week. I wonder if Covid messed up their supply chain, too.

As for the flavorizer bars, I'd say you got all you are going to get out of them.

CD
Actually, Weber was quite a headache to deal with. It took... 🤔...four phone calls (at the three week point) to finally get someone who was helpful, but it usually does come down to getting the right person.

All's well that ends well, though. I'll replace the ignition unit tomorrow.

Actually, Weber was quite a headache to deal with. It took... 🤔...four phone calls (at the three week point) to finally get someone who was helpful, but it usually does come down to getting the right person.

All's well that ends well, though. I'll replace the ignition unit tomorrow.

Wow, I've never had a bad experience with Weber customer service.

The problem must be you. :D

CD

CD
What happened was, at the three week point, I checked my order, and it didn't show it had shipped, so I called, and that person told me everything was in stock, so it should ship within 24 hours.

Then I got two emails saying they'd resolved my problem. :)

A bit more than 24 hours later, still hadn't shipped, so I called back and got exactly the same answer, and another email saying they'd resolved my issue. :)

Called back again, after it still showed it hadn't shipped, and was told to check the status that afternoon, and if it hadn't shipped, to call back again.

It hadn't, so I did.

That's when I finally got a person who said she'd personally run it down herself, get an explanation, and give me a call back herself.

The next morning, MrsT told me our card had been charged, then I checked my email and had a shipped notice, and about 45 minutes later...she called me back to tell me it had just shipped.

FedEx said it would be delivered by the 16th...then the 17th...then showed it out for delivery on the 17th...then showed expected delivery by the 18th...and it arrived this morning. :laugh:

CD
Just to give you a funny update: I got that stuff on Saturday, the 19th. That same day, I got an email from Weber, asking me to rate their service.

Today, the 23rd, I just got an email from Weber, stating they've discovered the error that's causing the delay in several orders, mine included, and they're working diligently to get me my stuff as soon as possible. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom