9:18 PM
Three-Bean Casserole
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
1lb bulk pork sausage
2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
2 cans (21 oz each) baked beans (any variety)
1 can (15 to 16 ounces) lima or butter beans, drained
1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 TB ground mustard
2 TB honey or packed brown sugar
1 TB white or cider vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper sauce

Directions
Heat oven to 400°F.

In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.

Mix sausage mixture and remaining ingredients in ungreased 3-quart casserole. Bake uncovered about 45 minutes, stirring once, until hot and bubbly.

Recipe from Betty Crocker

The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

I am going to ask what precisely is 'bulk' pork sausage? The term 'bulk' in relation to sausages isn't used in the UK and to me implies mass produced in a huge amounts!

Beans and sausages are perfect partners in a casserole. I look forward to your photos. :okay:

Bulk sausage in the US is basically raw sausage that is not in sausage casings -- similar to ground/minced meat.

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 7.26.15 PM.jpg

CD

I am going to ask what precisely is 'bulk' pork sausage?

Bulk sausage in the US is basically raw sausage that is not in sausage casings -- similar to ground/minced meat.

Morning Glory - you’ll note I had sausage links laid out on the board. I removed the casings and just cooked the loose filling. That’s one way to get bulk sausage. It can also be purchased uncased.

@Morning Glory - you’ll note I had sausage links laid out on the board. I removed the casings and just cooked the loose filling. That’s one way to get bulk sausage. It can also be purchased uncased.

Yes - usually if I want to use sausage meat (bulk sausage), I use whole sausages and take nefarious pleasure in squirting the meat out of the casings.

I was going to write I've never seen sausage in a 3 bean casserole, but then realized I was thinking of 3 bean salad, which are different dishes.

medtran49 I'm looking forward to having some free time for just me in the kitchen and making this dish.
I was reading in other sites the many different ways that can be made.
I'll start with TastyReuben 's OG and then if we like it, I'll expand.
I love Beans.
And then add in the the bulk Sausage and I'm sold, better yet if I can portion it out and freeze it!!
HEH!
A Lazy Meal in the making!

Back
Top Bottom