Tilapia

So a question for muricans, is cod very much like talipala? Sp, ? Same flesh?

Russ

Tilapia is a garbage fish, just like swai fish, IMHO. It is a freshwater fish that is often pond raised in Asia where it lives in it's own filth. Cod is a saltwater fish and can be purchase wild caught.

I'm not sure I've ever eaten it but my understanding is that its cheap and popular because it doesn't taste very fishy. Somehow the latter seems to defeat the point of eating fish!

This is quite interesting and certainly something I didn't know. Many farmed talapia are produced by using sex reversal hormone (female to male) because the males grow faster. This is banned in Europe.

Standard farming practice is to only stock one sex (males) to prevent uncontrolled population explosion and reduce their bottom line, since males grow up to 40 per cent faster than females and have a better feed conversion ratio (FCR).

There are currently three ways to ensure a farmer has a 100 percent male population:

1. A sex-reversal practice administering hormones – 17a-methyltestosterone (MT) – to young fingerlings. This is widely used globally, but is banned in Europe.
  2. Hybridization of T. aurea males crossed with the female Nile tilapia that produce a slower growing all-male strain.
  3. A 35-year breeding study conducted by Swansea University has produced the GMT strain. They are the result of a breeding selection programme, and are not genetically engineered. They were developed from a genetically unique form of tilapia called YY-Supermales, which have a YY genotype instead of the usual XY male genotype, meaning their offspring can only be male.

Tilapia is a garbage fish, just like swai fish, IMHO. It is a freshwater fish that is often pond raised in Asia where it lives in it's own filth. Cod is a saltwater fish and can be purchase wild caught.

I know a few folks from Texas that rave about it, I thought it was very popular? One guy catches them from a levee near him?

Russ

I'm always learning on this site. Thanks. :)

Russ

Craig you just reminded me of a guy on a site I visit, he has family problems that we have discussed via e mail. We have a mutual love of planes and cars. The fish subject just reminded me of this guy. I will e mail him soon. Been a while since I've heard from him. I hope he's ok. He was controversial and got barred from a site, but we got on good. He used to catch tilapia on his morning walks occasionally.

Russ

I know a few folks from Texas that rave about it, I thought it was very popular? One guy catches them from a levee near him?

Russ

Um, the tilapia that was accidentally introduced to Texas is an invasive nuisance fish. We don't eat them... well most of us. The freshwater fish of choice here is catfish. Well, catfish is MY favorite.

CD

Last edited:
Um, the tilapia that was accidentally introduced to Texas is an invasive nuisance fish. We don't eat them... well most of us. The freshwater fish of choice here is catfish. Well, catfish is MY favorite.

CD

Yes I have catfish on my list to try along with a boil up with your bugs. Talipia is off the list.lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom