Time machine

Wyshiepoo

Veteran
Local time
6:14 PM
So, fellow Cooking Biters.
You have a time machine. You can use it only once for a limited time.
What one thing would you change?

And you can give the past you two bits of advice.

"Don't......"
"Do......"

It might sound strange, but it would be, "Don't get married."

To explain, I'd still plan on being with MrsTasty, she just wouldn't be MrsTasty, she'd be MsWhateverSheWanted. We'd be like Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.

Circumstances dictated that we married when we did, and I think both of us feel like we never really made the decision for ourselves, that it was made for us, to a certain extent, so it's one of those "just on principle" things.

It might sound strange, but it would be, "Don't get married."

To explain, I'd still plan on being with MrsTasty, she just wouldn't be MrsTasty, she'd be MsWhateverSheWanted. We'd be like Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.

Circumstances dictated that we married when we did, and I think both of us feel like we never really made the decision for ourselves, that it was made for us, to a certain extent, so it's one of those "just on principle" things.

Yes, one of mine would be "don't fall in love and then, eventually, get married."

Although that isn't strictly true, I've been very happy with my life in general. Mostly happy marriage, children, grandchildren, good lifestyle and promises of more yet to come.
It's more of a 'what if' scenario.

As I've mentioned before here I was very heavily involved in amateur archaeology here and was looking to make it a career. I was used as the Site Supervisor which meant that I took instructions from the site Director and it was my job to boss the 'troops' around and ensure the excavation went smoothly and scientifically.
While doing this we were visited by an English archaeologist who was working in France. He was impressed with what he saw of me and he wanted me to move to France and work on a site near Rennes that he was about to excavate. Instead of speaking to me directly he (quite properly) spoke to the site director. He never passed on the job offer as, in his words, he didn't want to lose me. He did pass it on eventually as he felt guilty, but it was far too late by then.
Emboldened by this I started applying at universities to see if I could enrol to do an archaeology degree. This looked very promising then one day I met Mrs Wyshiepoo. Within a month I'd got her up the duff and we were making family type plans.
This meant for me a much more conventional career path, and that paid off as with the job I'm in we are much more secure financially than if I'd been an archaeologist.
But still, sometimes in an idle moment I think 'what if...'

Knowing what I know now, I'd go back to 2010 and kick every doctor who told my wife her heart problems were "hysterics" and "panic attacks" straight up the ass and insist on getting her a heart workup. That would have revealed the congenital heart defect that led to her stroke (and a massive life change) three years later. 😠

This looked very promising then one day I met Mrs Wyshiepoo. Within a month I'd got her up the duff and we were making family type plans.
This meant for me a much more conventional career path

That's a great shame. I imagine a career in archeology would be fascinating if you have a passion for it.

Wouldn't change much, I've had a great life and been and done a lot of stuff that people don't normally do. Great kids and grandkids. I keep real good health. Can't ask for much more. I'm hanging out to travel again. Egypt and South America still beckons.
Dam covid!!!

Russ

That's a great shame. I imagine a career in archeology would be fascinating if you have a passion for it.
It can be, but only sometimes. I have a friend who worked as a history researcer at Southampton University for many years and she did quite a lot of work with archaeologists. She said that a good 99% of it was tedious drudgery but the other bit was what kept them all sane. Well, relatively sane.

It can be, but only sometimes. I have a friend who worked as a history researcer at Southampton University for many years and she did quite a lot of work with archaeologists. She said that a good 99% of it was tedious drudgery but the other bit was what kept them all sane. Well, relatively sane.

Yes, there used to be a saying that for every week spent excavating you had X weeks (can't remember the number) of work involved in publication. Excavation was fun, publication was boring. The only problem is that excavation without publication is just official vandalism. An excavation is described as an unrepeatable experiment. Once you'd excavated a site you couldn't do it again. It's why such copious notes and photographs are taken while excavating.

I caused some merriment on site once by describing excavation as the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

When she went to university, MrsTasty's first choice in field of study was archeology, but she let her dad talk her out of it, and it's something she's regretted ever since. She would have loved it, as the drudgery bit would be all right with her.

Back
Top Bottom