Tips on Reducing the Size of a Recipe

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
11:20 AM
If you use recipes, you know they don't always fit your lifestyle. For people who live alone or small families, the quantity of what you're making might be too much. Below is a link to a page that provides information on how to cut a recipe in half. You might want to save it under your favorites.

Link: Tips on Reducing the Size of a Recipe

Thank you for sharing these. I think I'm going to print that off and have it laminated then tape it to one of the insides of my cupboard doors for easy access.

I know often times people say to just save the extras and leftovers for another day, but honestly, in most cases I prefer to make the meals fresh each day. I really dislike eating leftover food because often times it changes in texture, becomes dried out, or the vegetables lose color, pasta becomes too swollen, etc...

True2marie,

Thanks for sharing!! Now the only thing left to do is to try it out and see how it comes. I will keep you posted on that one.

For people who live alone or small families, the quantity of what you're making might be too much.

True, this is my main problem!

I have loads of tasty recipes which serving yield is at least 6 portions, but I live alone, sometimes having to cook/bake for two, and up to 4 when it comes to family reunions, so I'm always trying to figure out how to reducing the size of recipes, particularly those including eggs or other ingredients that are hard to break into small pieces.

Thanks a lot for sharing this link :)

Be careful :) this is not sometimes so easy as it would first appear.

You would think that if you have a recipe for 4 then halving everything gives a recipe for 2.

However, in some cases the amount of liquid (sauce, stock etc) is not sufficient in the reduced recipe either to cook the food or eat with the finished dish.

In our household, of 2, we generally half the main ingredient (fish, meat, whatever) but keep the rest the same.

If you have leftover sauce it's not as bad as leftover meat :wink:

I guess it is similar to doubling a recipe - something we often do because there are 2 of us and I usually cook for 2 days at a time... in that case, most things get doubled except the oil - there is no need to double the oil with most recipes for some reason.

I always need to severely cut down on recipes. I generally only cook for me and my boyfriend, and unless we want leftovers many recipes just aren't readily displayed for two people. Sometimes I just have to do my best estimate and deal with the leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom