To cook cake from scratch or not to

The only cake I ever used to make from a box were brownies, but I found a great recipe for brownies so now every cake I bake is made from scratch. They taste much better. I would never use cakes from a box now.

From the boxes. I don't have a huge sweet tooth so the difference isn't that staggering, and definitely not worth the extra effort. In fact, I actually quite like the little cake mix packets

When I first came to the forum, baking from a box was my thing. A few weeks have passed and I have not bought any mixes. I have been experimenting with a lot of things from scratch. I recently did some rock cakes and a banana bread that my son has been asking me to repeat. I am thrilled as he's my biggest critic.

I always use a cake mix as my base. I add a little of this and a little of that and you never know it came from a box.

My mum used to have a Be-ro book, for me it was a bit of a bible and I made loads of cakes. I have just been looking at their website and found recipes for melting moments and rock buns, I made many of those in my younger days.

Do you like cooking cake from scratch or do the cake boxes help things go a little faster?

I do both, it just depends on the situation. If it's for a birthday or other special occasion, I make it from scratch. If it's just for me, for something quick, such as muffins, or a quick bread, sometimes I will use a box mix. I almost always make brownies from a mix, because it's quicker, and the mix I buy (chewy moist) is so good there's no need to look for a recipe.

I have tried cooking cakes for sometime now but I have never cooked a perfect one. Maybe its because I do not know how to mix the ingredients. That is why I like buying cakes from food stores. I hope that one day it will be easier for me to make one.

This morning my husband made a lemon drizzle cake from scratch, after 2 slices each I can confirm it does taste as good as it looks

DSCN2067.JPG

DSCN2069.JPG

That looks very good and lemon drizzle cake is perfect for the summer as it tastes rather refreshing. The only lemon cake I have had recently was from Starbucks. I am not sure how they make their frosting, but I really do love it. It is almost like a fondant. Anyways, yes I do prefer cakes made from scratch, and that is about the only way we eat them around my house. Once in a blue moon I will buy a pre made cake, but that is a rarity.

I have heard that it is healthier to bake it by scratch but have yet to try this. I really want to start baking my own breads. I know a lady that was very sick. The doctors told her that she was allergic to chemicals. She started baking her own breads and eating chemical free food and I mean she is as healthy as ever.

That cake looks good JessiFox. The other day I decided to make a carrot cake from scratch and sadly I could not present a picture looking like your husband's cake. Once I had done a few carrot box cakes that were very good, I decided to bake one from scratch. :( The result was very disappointing, so I am trying to decide when next to attack a carrot cake from scratch. Sometimes the box wins it seems.

We rarely eat cake and this was my husband's first attempt at baking so really please with how it has turned out.

Back
Top Bottom