1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
2 shallots (chopped)
2 birdseye chillies (chopped)
2 limes juiced
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp brown sugar

Method

Toast quinoa grains in a dry frypan (moving frequently to prevent burning) until they darken in colour and start popping. Place in a mortar and pestle and coarsley grind. Set aside. In a wok, cook chicken until just cooked, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon. When just cooked, and liquid has evaporated set aside to cool. Meanwhile, combine lime juice with fish sauce and sugar. When chicken has cooled, mix in basil, mint, coriander, shallots, chillies, dressing, and four heaped teaspoons of the ground quinoa.

View: https://youtu.be/J2uKn5qU6Tw

What a flavourful combination! Well done.
When the grains pop, is it like popcorn, soft and expanded? Or just a crack...?

Toast quinoa grains in a dry frypan (moving frequently to prevent burning) until they darken in colour and start popping.

I wasn't sure if I should toast mine before cooking (which I sometimes do with rice pilaf) or after, but I will give this a try next time.

Place in a mortar and pestle and coarsley grind.

Is this done to remove the hull? Mine were hulled, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Great recipe, by the way, and one I will try. I am always looking for new ways to use fresh mint.

What a great idea to toast and pop them, I am sure it adds a nice flavor as well as texture. Your food is always so beautiful and I love watching your videos!

Back
Top Bottom