Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I got this German clay bread baker for Christmas. Look at the size of this thing!

I found a rye bread recipe (for two loaves), I tried that today. I used that brown flour I got from the Russian place yesterday.

I don't know what kind of flour it is, but it doesn't taste like rye bread. It's very good, though. The top got a little overly browned because I had to play around with the bake time - this baker says it must be started in a cold oven, to prevent cracking from the temperature shock, and before I realized it, it had really browned the top.

Freezing half the bread for later.

The basic recipe I got with it calls for a whopping 8 cups of flour, for one loaf. My stand mixer won't churn that, it says the limit is seven cups.

I bought my wife a Mercedes. She didn't care what I bought for myself. :okay:

CD

My wife and her weight seem to dictate what we get. I don't think she's overweight, only 5 foot tall but she's fit and walks most days. She has a love hate relationship with chocolate and bread. Btw I bought her ford xr8 falcon almost brand new. It's a AU series 3 tickford kitted, it hauls ars&.

Russ

this baker says it must be started in a cold oven, to prevent cracking from the temperature shock,

Hmmm... not heard of that before. I seem to remember I once had a similar baking dish and it had to be soaked and then heated in the oven from cold before using for the first time. I never really got on with it. I prefer to freeform or use a banneton.

That can't be rye. Rye on its own produces quite dense bread and is darker. What is written on the packet? Is it in Russian?

I like that dark crust BTW.

Last edited:
Hmmm... not heard of that before. I seem to remember I once had a similar baking dish and it had to be soaked and then heated in the oven from cold before using for the first time. I never really got on with it. I prefer to freeform or use a banneton.

That can't be rye. Rye on its own produces quite dense bread and is darker. What is written on the packet? Is it in Russian?

I like that dark crust BTW.
Yeah, it's all in Russian, and the (Russian) woman working there just said, "Dark flour! Dark bread!"

We do have different rye breads here, that generally fall into either dark rye or light rye. Light rye is somewhere between white bread and basic wheat bread - very light in color.

Yeah, it's all in Russian, and the (Russian) woman working there just said, "Dark flour! Dark bread!"

We do have different rye breads here, that generally fall into either dark rye or light rye. Light rye is somewhere between white bread and basic wheat bread - very light in color.

Maybe I'm not familiar with Light Rye. I am familiar with three types of Rye Bread, Dark, Russian and Jewish and none of them would I describe as being between White Bread and Wheat Bread, particularly.

Maybe I'm not familiar with Light Rye. I am familiar with three types of Rye Bread, Dark, Russian and Jewish and none of them would I describe as being between White Bread and Wheat Bread, particularly.
These are all listed at "light rye bread" at their respective sites. That third one is local to me (Klostermans).

You can also buy light rye flour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom