Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats. Came out better than mine. :)
I'm sorry yours didn't. I think maybe the sudden weather change. It was humid in my house today (rain outside). I used less water than previously. I knead by hand so I go by feel of the dough. I used extra flour for the punch down, too, because it seemed stickier than in the past.

I'm sorry yours didn't. I think maybe the sudden weather change. It was humid in my house today (rain outside). I used less water than previously. I knead by hand so I go by feel of the dough. I used extra flour for the punch down, too, because it seemed stickier than in the past.
Mine is still edible, it's just ugly. :laugh:

Mine is still edible, it's just ugly. :laugh:
Now when you say edible, does that mean the texture is still awesome? Cuz in the past when my loaves have fallen, sometimes the bread has been more dense. I like it really fluffy.

Now when you say edible, does that mean the texture is still awesome? Cuz in the past when my loaves have fallen, sometimes the bread has been more dense. I like it really fluffy.
Yeah, it's not dense, but it's not fluffy, somewhere in between:

Now, compare that to the very first loaf posted in this topic - it's the same recipe, but one is Cinderella and the other is an Ugly Stepsister.

Yeah, it's not dense, but it's not fluffy, somewhere in between:
View attachment 61986

View attachment 61987

Now, compare that to the very first loaf posted in this topic - it's the same recipe, but one is Cinderella and the other is an Ugly Stepsister.
We all know that beauty is only crust-deep. But Cinderella was beautiful on both the inside and outside.

Looking good! But I know, it is in the details.
Will you reuse it in some way?
Oh, we're eating it. I had some toast last night made with it. It's fine to eat. It's just an ugly, unappealing shape.

I'm really picky with the way home-baked bread looks - I figure if a bakery can do it, I should be able to get it close as well, especially with something as simple as a basic sandwich loaf.

I made muffuletta bread today, using medtran49's recipe. I made a half-recipe.

Stupid me, I wasn't paying attention, and when I went to pop it in the oven, I smacked the front of the loaf into one of the oven racks, and the bread partially deflated.

Either way, it more or less looks good, the crumb looks great, so I think it'll be ok.

I made muffuletta bread today, using medtran49's recipe. I made a half-recipe.

Stupid me, I wasn't paying attention, and when I went to pop it in the oven, I smacked the front of the loaf into one of the oven racks, and the bread partially deflated.

Either way, it more or less looks good, the crumb looks great, so I think it'll be ok.
View attachment 63228

View attachment 63229
It does look good👍

Yesterday I baked Molletes (pronounced mo-yeh-tes), a traditional Andalusian breakfast bread

First time attempting them and, to be honest, it was quite easy. The only difference with a normal bread is that these have milk-which explains its spongy texture.

I was very satisfied and so was my girlfriend too. Toasted with tomato, EVOO and a slice of ham... Yummy!!

Yesterday I baked Molletes (pronounced mo-yeh-tes), a traditional Andalusian breakfast bread

View attachment 63982

First time attempting them and, to be honest, it was quite easy. The only difference with a normal bread is that these have milk-which explains its spongy texture.

I was very satisfied and so was my girlfriend too. Toasted with tomato, EVOO and a slice of ham... Yummy!!

They look great and I like how you seasoned them 👍🏻

Thank you! They just have flour on top, nothing too exciting. But I am happy to know I am improving my decorating skills because I am absolutely terrible at it :thumbsdown:

I like them for their simplicity although it’s not to take for granted they are easy to make. Milk in the dough is something we also made over here, “panini al latte”, perfect to pair both with sweet and savoury taste.
Decorating skills are a only a side note 🙂 and I’m sure you are not so terrible.

Last edited:
I made an English Muffin Toasting Loaf today.

The taste and texture are fine, but I'm trying to work out how to best use that giant clay baker I got for Christmas.

This is a 5-cups of flour recipe, and it's a very wet dough (more like a batter), and I think the clay baker is just too big - it behaved more like baking in a cake pan.

Either way, half will be our toast for the next few days, and half will go in the freezer.

View attachment 54731
They were out of English muffins for my curbside grocery pickup yesterday. My hubby likes breakfast sandwiches made with English muffins, so I made English muffins from scratch. I used this recipe:
How To Make English Muffins
I did make a change, I got some sage advice from TastyReuben about using buttermilk. The recipe author used milk. I had buttermilk and half and half, so I watered down the half and half a bit and used buttermilk along with it instead of milk. I think it's really cool that you "bake" these in a skillet!

UPDATE: Well drats. The inside is light and fluffy, but no nooks and crannies. The flavor is good, but could have used more of a tang. I think next time I will use all buttermilk and a tad more flour, and of course I will preshape them before the rise and not flatten while they are frying.

Last edited:
They were out of English muffins for my curbside grocery pickup yesterday. My hubby likes breakfast sandwiches made with English muffins, so I made English muffins from scratch.
View attachment 68037
View attachment 68036
Those look 🤬 awesome! How's the taste?

I haven't made English muffins yet because I don't have rings for frying them. Any shots of the inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom