Tofu ideas

Arch

Guru
Local time
8:17 PM
My Mum's been told to increase her calcium intake, and prescribed tablets, which she doesn't want to take (they have some rather restrictive conditions, like not drinking tea or eating many foods within two hours of taking one!). So she's looking for ways to increase dietary calcium. Increasing dairy too much is difficult, as she's slightly allergic to dairy...

So I was googling Calcium Rich foods for her, and tofu came up. I don't know that she's ever cooked with it, so I'm looking for simple ideas to pass on to her. Stir frying seems to be a favourite.

Any favourites, or tips on cooking with it?

we found stir frying it until it was brown worked really well with something like a black bean sause, but be careful test some ideas yourself first and find something tasty otherwise you will put her off it because it is quite bland.
Various brands have different textures - cauldron foods is a reasonable one - their marinated version is great if a little expensive. We also love the smoked tofu versions that the brand Taifun do - they have some fantastic combinations which we love to eat straight from the packet - they could be the best brand for flavour and introducing someone to tofu, but they are not cheap at £2.99 a packet

Avoid silken tofu (basically I think it is the Japanese version) unless you want to liquidise it, it is much more 'slimy' and less appealing until you start making fake cream cheese or fake cream with, then you can use the soft silken tofu (it is the non-refridgerated stuff usually found in the speciality shelves in supermarkets) as opposed to the firm silken tofu which I tend to marinate and then dehydrate into sticks to munch on.

My favourite is Taifun Organic Tofu Smoked Almond & Sesame Slice which waitrose sells, I'm not sure on sainsubury's & tesco's but most health food shops sell it in their fridges. More of a treat than a regular because of the price. It does not last very long in this house because we both love it so much! The Taifun website is here .

Best of luck - it is like marmite - love it or hate it. Tasty recipes (anything that calls for meat in chunks or minced you can subs tofu with) and make sure there are plenty of flavours with it and you will be fine.

I cook my tofu two ways. first one, I'd just mash it up ,put soy sauce,a little of garlic oil I make myself and salt. I'd eat it like that with rice.
Second way ,I make a soup out of it. I always use extra firm regular tofu for this.

You boil a pan of water. I use ground pork and make them into a small meatball with salt and pepper seasoning. Boil them until they are cooked. Put napa cabbage,Bean sprout,tofu and salt. Let it boil a bit.
turn off the stove. Sprinkle garden onions .I like garden onions so I use plenty on it since I don't like the smell of the pork. and top it off with a bit of fried garlic oil I made.

My Mum's been told to increase her calcium intake, and prescribed tablets, which she doesn't want to take (they have some rather restrictive conditions, like not drinking tea or eating many foods within two hours of taking one!). So she's looking for ways to increase dietary calcium. Increasing dairy too much is difficult, as she's slightly allergic to dairy...

So I was googling Calcium Rich foods for her, and tofu came up. I don't know that she's ever cooked with it, so I'm looking for simple ideas to pass on to her. Stir frying seems to be a favourite.

Any favourites, or tips on cooking with it?
I make some good Tofu bacon. It's not that hard to make either. You don't have to drain the water out of the block. Just cut the block into thin slices, but them on the stove (with hot oil in pan first)after it cooks until brown on both sides, Add some liquid smoke and liquid amino, and some nutritional yeast. It takes very good!!

You can also coat the tofu slices in seasoned breadcrumbs and fry them. They taste delicious and you can add them to any meal and are easy to make.You can make a batch of them and then reheat them whenever necessary. I've found with an onion chutney or tomato salsa, with potatoes and some vegetables, it makes a really wholesome vegan meal.

Back
Top Bottom