Recipe Tomato Zucchini Casserole - a nice summery looking dish!

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:00 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I love casseroles but always seem to associate them with winter. I was browsing online for recipes and came across this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-zucchini-casserole/

It's rated nice and highly and now that summer is basically at our doorstep here in the Northern Hemisphere I thought I'd give it a go sometime this week -- and share it with you all too!

All the ingredients are often pantry staples too which makes life a whole lot easier!

I love casseroles but always seem to associate them with winter. I was browsing online for recipes and came across this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-zucchini-casserole/

It's rated nice and highly and now that summer is basically at our doorstep here in the Northern Hemisphere I thought I'd give it a go sometime this week -- and share it with you all too!

All the ingredients are often pantry staples too which makes life a whole lot easier!

It sounds rather nice - but I wouldn't call it a casserole at all. Its a bake! Is this another example of UK/US cookery term confusion?

It sounds rather nice - but I wouldn't call it a casserole at all. Its a bake! Is this another example of UK/US cookery term confusion?
agreed. Definitely not a casserole. Gratin or bake like you say.
Looking around that sit and following link for things claiming 'casserole' everyone of them was the same, a bake or a gratin!

A quick look at wikipedia definition reveals that casseroles in the US usually have a crunchy topping. The rest of the Wikipedia entry only serves to further confuse - for example, Shepherd's pie is listed as an example. I'm sure I've never heard that called a casserole before... :scratchhead:

The side dish looks good and looks like something I would make for myself as a simple meal along with maybe some rice, no meat.

A quick look at wikipedia definition reveals that casseroles in the US usually have a crunchy topping. The rest of the Wikipedia entry only serves to further confuse - for example, Shepherd's pie is listed as an example. I'm sure I've never heard that called a casserole before... :scratchhead:
I think there might be a new word being added to the list.
I wonder what the US calls out casseroles?

Back
Top Bottom