Tomatoes that actually taste of something

Duck59

Guru
Local time
4:42 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
Why, I wonder, do retailers (supermarkets in particular) insist on selling tomatoes that are little more than solid globes of water? These things have no taste, no value and are useless for anything. I prefer either the small cherry tomatoes or the large vine ones. These, at least, taste of something and with the latter, you get that nice minty smell of the vine.

I really do not like watery tomatoes nor those that are too acid either. However, when buying tomatoes I have no way of knowing how sweet, acid, or watery they may be. The look of the tomato itself does not give any indication as to what it would taste like. If I buy some and find them to be sweet, then I know that I got a good purchase that time.. Sometimes I would slice up a tomato expecting it to be sweet only to be disappointed after tasting it and discovering it to be acid. The watery ones are a definite no-no, in my opinion. At least the acid ones still taste like something.

I think it is because the growers do not take care if the soil and then they pick the tomatoes much too early. It's really a shame because it makes people want grow their own tomatoes instead of buying these flavorless ones.

Why, I wonder, do retailers (supermarkets in particular) insist on selling tomatoes that are little more than solid globes of water? These things have no taste, no value and are useless for anything. I prefer either the small cherry tomatoes or the large vine ones. These, at least, taste of something and with the latter, you get that nice minty smell of the vine.
Tell me about it. We don't even bother with fresh ones anymore unless they are grown at home. We just use tinned - they actually have more flavour!

Eat food in season and it tastes great ,real special ,but a lot of imported food is ripened on route,in a box ,not the sun it requires ,even the smell is unique,picking off the plants omits a memory for me,the smell condures memories

Eat food in season and it tastes great ,real special ,but a lot of imported food is ripened on route,in a box ,not the sun it requires ,even the smell is unique,picking off the plants omits a memory for me,the smell condures memories
Some smells you wish you could forget though. They linger too long afterwards.

Last edited:
I've been growing my own cherry tomatoes and they are wonderfully flavorful, so much more so than anything that I have ever bought at the store. That freshness of just picking them off the vine when I need them is amazing!

Dear God...what's the world coming to when tinned tomatoes are an upgrade?
They taste of the tin - great if you like a metallic taste with your food. Our local supermarket has about six different types of tomato to pick from so it's up to the buyer really.

Yep I buy the smaller, redder tomatoes too. I never even considered how much water there is in tomatoes until you brought it up but I guess when you cook a lot you unconsciously know the difference between a good sweet tomato to a watery one.

There are many varieties of tomatoes. In the wet market, I would buy the greenish tomatoes, never the ripe red. And I never buy the small or the big ones, always the medium because that is the best variety that is firm and with a sour taste - tomatoes should always taste sour because that is the real flavor of tomatoes. And when it gets red in the fridge, we use them to make tomato omelet that is very good with cheese cubes.

I like plum tomatoes best, but it is hard to find ones that actually taste good and sweet. Some supermarkets are more trustworthy than others though, and I will usually get them from the place that has the best produce in general. I must try to grow some myself sometime!

I like the large vine ones for making roses and another okra and tomato recipe I stumbled some months ago. The watery ones can go with a simple salad where the dressing can help out with flavour.

Back
Top Bottom