Too good to go

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
8:48 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
Because of TastyReuben thread about using leftovers, I thought to start this thread.

Do any of you use products from anti waste apps like Too good to go or Olio?
https://toogoodtogo.co.uk/en-gb

I have started to use them frequently a few months ago, not only is it good to reduce food costs but it's also great for the planet and against food waste.
I would like to make this thread a place to share photos and experiences of Too good to go packages, if anyone else uses them here.

Here's a pic of my latest too good to go package from a local Indian store. It cost me 5 euros.

It contained raisins, Indian snacks, cookies, curry mixes, jam and mango chutney.

I'd 100% support this but I get everything delivered on-line and I don't think it applies to deliveries - or even if anywhere near here is partaking. My son recently had a job in a well known supermarket and he was literally shocked at the amount of food that is destroyed because its just past 'sell by' date. We all know these dates are a guide that err on the side of caution.

I've never heard of that before, so I'm going to check it out shortly.

I'd 100% support this but I get everything delivered on-line and I don't think it applies to deliveries - or even if anywhere near here is partaking. My son recently had a job in a well known supermarket and he was literally shocked at the amount of food that is destroyed because its just past 'sell by' date. We all know these dates are a guide that err on the side of caution.
Yeah , I've worked in a Tesco bakery and every evening we would waste at least 6 full wheelie bins of fine baked goods.. It's made me deeply upset about food waste!

I've never heard of that before, so I'm going to check it out shortly.

American tax laws work against this kind of business. Grocery stores can only write off out-of-date items if they trash them. Basically, it is in the financial best interest of the Grocers to throw food in the dumpster.

Now, if you are a billionaire or an oil company, you don't have to worry, since you probably don't pay any taxes. :rolleyes:

CD

American tax laws work against this kind of business. Grocery stores can only write off out-of-date items if they trash them. Basically, it is in the financial best interest of the Grocers to throw food in the dumpster.

Now, if you are a billionaire or an oil company, you don't have to worry, since you probably don't pay any taxes. :rolleyes:

CD

That's unfortunate!

Here there's no law interfering with waste, which allowed this option to exist. But it's still very recent, only exists for the past 5 years orso and only took off this past year where I live.

Here in Portugal there's a website called "Good After", which sells products that are past or almost paste expiration date, but that are still good for consumption, and they offer home delivery on everything.

Here in Portugal there's a website called "Good After", which sells products that are past or almost paste expiration date, but that are still good for consumption, and they offer home delivery on everything.
Yeah the rule is that everything must be good for consumption, it's just stuff like bread that won't be sold the next day or things that are past their 'best by' date which is something else than their 'eat before' date.

Yeah the rule is that everything must be good for consumption, it's just stuff like bread that won't be sold the next day or things that are past their 'best by' date which is something else than their 'eat before' date.
Yes, most things on that site are non perishables, like rice, cookies, tea, etc. Personally I never bought anything there cause I can't justify the delivery costs, but I know people who do, you can get good quality brands much cheaper than at the supermarket.

Most supermarkets here have "clearance" sections in a few departments. I buy a lot of meat in the clearance, or "Manager's Specials" section of the Kroger meat department. They are meats that are about to pass their "sell by" date, and are marked down, sometimes by half -- or more!

1639184122130.jpeg

CD

Most supermarkets here have "clearance" sections in a few departments
I´ve been doing that since I came to Cincinnati. I buy little bits of cheese I´ve never tried before - reduced by half. So far, nothing out of this world, but I´ve got a bit of Taleggio and some Rogue River Blue ( what ever that is) to try tomorrow.

I´ve been doing that since I came to Cincinnati. I buy little bits of cheese I´ve never tried before - reduced by half. So far, nothing out of this world, but I´ve got a bit of Taleggio and some Rogue River Blue ( what ever that is) to try tomorrow.

Yes, the cheese departments usually have some good deals, too.

Are you going to meet up with TastyReuben while in Cincinnati?

CD

No idea - but it might be good idea!
I'm tentatively planning an excursion down to the Party Source just over the river in Kentucky on Sunday.

I have no idea what your plans might be, but if you have time, maybe I could buy you a beer somewhere. If you don't mind sharing (either here or via PM), what neighborhood are you in?

Back
Top Bottom