Too Many Spoons?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
3:54 PM
Having just purchased two identical cooking spoons, I had an inkling that maybe I had too many spoons. I decided to conduct a recce this morning to discover how many and what spoons I actually had.

This was the result:

Cooking "spoons".

Rice spoons and spatulas.

Eating/drinking/measuring spoons.

Have I got too many?

As far as cooking spoons, I have just two - slotted one and a regular on.

Eating spoons…I have 8 tablespoon-sized ones, eight teaspoon-sized ones, four mini ones, and two egg spoons.

I think you´ve got a spoon fetish. you need to get in touch with "spoonfeeders anonymous"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't realise that I had so many, particularly the "silver" ones. They reside in four separate drawers, viz: the Thai cutlery, the Western cutlery, the cooking utensils and the general utensils drawers.

What's the difference between an egg spoon and a teaspoon?

They are the same to me (although I do not drink tea).

However, the spoon size that I use for mixing mustard (the one with the pink handle and those adjacent to it) could be considered "egg spoons" as they are a tad smaller than teaspoons.

The reason that I use these spoons for mixing mustard is that they are the only ones that fit snugly into the mustard tin.

What's the difference between an egg spoon and a teaspoon?

From left to right:

Egg spoon, mini spoon, teaspoon, tablespoon, grapefruit spoon, dinner fork

Egg spoon and mini spoon are about the same. The egg spoon is used for soft-boiled eggs and nothing else.

The mini-spoon is use for stirring sugar/dairy into tea/coffee, nothing else. You could call it a teaspoon in that it’s used for tea, I suppose, but it measures out to a little more than a quarter-teaspoon, though it’s never used for that, because the sugar pot came with its own little ceramic spoon.

The teaspoon measures out around a teaspoon, just a bit more. It gets used here as a dessert spoon most of the time.

The tablespoon measures right at a tablespoon and is our all-purpose eating spoon, mainly for soup. They do make dedicated soup spoons here, more rounded with deeper bowls, but we see those mostly in restaurants.

The grapefruit spoon I included because I forgot those. It’s about teaspoon-sized and has serrated edges. We don’t eat grapefruit, so I don’t know why we’ve kept those. 🤷🏻

Dinner fork for scale.

This is a new thing for me. The teaspoon looks larger than a normal teaspoon and the egg spoon I've never come across. We tend to use teaspoons for eggs here. Off to search for egg spoons...
It may be how you choose to define “teaspoon.”

Here, it’s a spoon that’ll roughly measure out a teaspoon of something, but it could also mean a spoon that you use for tea.

I just did a little test. I weighed a proper teaspoon of turbinado sugar and it came in at 5g.

Then I used that “informal” teaspoon above to scoop out some sugar, and it weighed in at 7g, so pretty close.

Loving this example which incorporates a hammer to crack the egg!

View attachment 92589
You need those, or this one, that looks like a claw hammer:

Good grief! Do people really pay between £20 and £30 forspoons to break eggs?
I mean, if the egg had rare Atlantic white salmon and Beluga caviar inside, I might consider it - but half-cooked whites and runny yolk? Pûh-lease! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good grief! Do people really pay between £20 and £30 forspoons to break eggs?
I mean, if the egg had rare Atlantic white salmon and Beluga caviar inside, I might consider it - but half-cooked whites and runny yolk? Pûh-lease! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I think mine were .99¢ each!

Back
Top Bottom