Too Many Spoons?

Good grief! Do people really pay between £20 and £30 forspoons to break eggs?
I mean, if the egg had rare Atlantic white salmon and Beluga caviar inside, I might consider it - but half-cooked whites and runny yolk? Pûh-lease! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I probably wouldn't buy that particular spoon but I do buy some rather expensive 'designer' cutlery/plates etc. simply to use in food photography/food styling. Its my only hobby (aside from cooking) so I can justify the odd splurge. I also buy bits of old cutlery (which can be very cheap) from charity shops for the same reason.

I probably wouldn't buy that particular spoon but I do buy some rather expensive 'designer' cutlery/plates etc.
I think an egg spoon with a little beak on it for cracking the egg is a marvelous idea - I’d buy one of those.

MrsT uses an egg topper to crack her eggs, I usually just use the side of the spoon.

It may be how you choose to define “teaspoon.”

Here, it’s a spoon that’ll roughly measure out a teaspoon of something, but it could also mean a spoon that you use for tea.

I just did a little test. I weighed a proper teaspoon of turbinado sugar and it came in at 5g.

Then I used that “informal” teaspoon above to scoop out some sugar, and it weighed in at 7g, so pretty close.

You need those, or this one, that looks like a claw hammer:

View attachment 92590

Never seen, nor have I heard of that before! Hah!! :whistling:

I bought & received THESE, but they are only for tasting when I cook something. I use each one just once, then I put them in a little basket to be washed in the dishwasher & I use the Baby Care Cycle which destroys germs & bacteria by heating the wash & final rinse to 155 degrees!! :whistling:

Last edited:
I'm sure I beat you on the eating/drinking spoons,but I'm awfully short on the cooking spoons department.

Hey I’m not one to talk, I’ve had multiple drawers filled with this type of stuff before. However I decided one day I wanted to clean house and buy new utensils. I donated a bunch so somebody else could use them. It definitely increased my efficiency in the kitchen, I no longer hunted for things or chose between things. Makes cooking that much more enjoyable lol.

That must be years of collecting for you I’m guessing:) Looks like a lot of it has seen some good use.

Last edited:
First image, long handled "tea" spoon. I have one similar to that. I use it for tasting although I've no idea why or from where I bought it.

View attachment 92624
I bought those because they're handy to scrap sauce off the bottom of tall sauce bottles.

Btw in Portugal these long spoons are known as "galão spoons", they're used to mix galão which is a hot drink made of milk and coffee and always served in a tall glass (image from Wikipedia)
1668679233168.png

I bought those because they're handy to scrap sauce off the bottom of tall sauce bottles.

Btw in Portugal these long spoons are known as "galão spoons", they're used to mix galão which is a hot drink made of milk and coffee and always served in a tall glass (image from Wikipedia)
View attachment 92625
We see those kinds of spoons in ice cream shops here, for eating multilayered desserts out of tall glasses.

Back
Top Bottom