'Too much detail' cake!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Local time
8:14 AM
We went to a craft trade show today, and popped next door to the cake trade show.
There was a competition there showcasing students' cakes from the local colleges.

This cake looked quite good....
DSC02290.JPG

Then I noticed the detail that went into it!:eek:
DSC02290a.jpg

I think I'll pass on that slice!:facepalm:

Wow, that's some creativity right there! I hope that the person who made that got some recognition or even won the competition.... it's a unique and rather detailed cake! I have to say though that I'll pass on that slice too. LOL

Lol, I have to agree with you and will definitely pass on that slice too but what a fantastic cake. The detail is phenomenal, although a little too detailed in a couple of areas!!

i think the sugar artist is showing us what joints are used in sausages the lips of the horse are prominent ,and so is the .................

The cake was huge, the board is well over 2' square!

We did go around the cake show thinking that the cakes may be all show and no substance. We both prefer cakes that have a good taste and texture within the cake, and not just a decorative coat of icing and marzipan.

OMG! That horse cake is just creepy! And why did they have to include the little rodent in front? Ugh! I know it's a psychological reaction, but I couldn't handle it if I saw them cutting into that cake, and I most definitely would not want to eat any of it. Yikes! The sneaker cake behind it is a little scary is well.

You know...I admire that someone could decorate a cake that well. The artistry of the horse is beautiful, but seeming as how some people are going to be eating the cake, some details are better left to the imagination. I am not sure that I would like any slice, except maybe for the hoof!

OMG! That horse cake is just creepy! And why did they have to include the little rodent in front? Ugh! I know it's a psychological reaction, but I couldn't handle it if I saw them cutting into that cake, and I most definitely would not want to eat any of it. Yikes! The sneaker cake behind it is a little scary is well.
The competition seem to be to show off the decorative and modelling abilities of the students. There were so many 'themed' cakes and stuff that looked more like sculpture then food.
Otters floating on their backs seemed a popular subject matter.

The competition seem to be to show off the decorative and modelling abilities of the students. There were so many 'themed' cakes and stuff that looked more like sculpture then food.
Otters floating on their backs seemed a popular subject matter.

Otters floating on their backs??? LOL, what was up with that? Maybe the students had been given a nature theme to challenge them creatively. Food as art is a great concept, but if no one wants to eat the sculptural masterpiece it may as well have been made of silly putty. That image of the rump of the horse cake is just... ugh!

:D:D:D That really cracked me up. I have seen some weird ones that evoked all different kinds of reactions from me. I love the creativity though. I marvel at what people can produce when it comes to designs. It calls for real "b--lls" to attempt stuff like this.

Otters floating on their backs??? LOL, what was up with that? Maybe the students had been given a nature theme to challenge them creatively. Food as art is a great concept, but if no one wants to eat the sculptural masterpiece it may as well have been made of silly putty. That image of the rump of the horse cake is just... ugh!
I agree, Chanell. Food as an art form is wonderful but I think they should stay clear of wildlife. There are other wonderful things in nature that would be gorgeous on a cake, such as petals of flower, trees, plants, sunshine...I could go on, but I won't... And the rump of the horse on a cake is just WRONG!!

I agree, Chanell. Food as an art form is wonderful but I think they should stay clear of wildlife. There are other wonderful things in nature that would be gorgeous on a cake, such as petals of flower, trees, plants, sunshine...I could go on, but I won't... And the rump of the horse on a cake is just WRONG!!

Yes, I have seen some truly amazing and beautiful cakes for birthdays, weddings, and other special occasions. Can't so incredible that you wouldn't even want to cut them! However, there is just something wrong with slicing into a cake in the shape of a horse. I would expect it to be red inside, lol, and that would creep me out even further!

Back
Top Bottom