Tough steak

grumpyoldman

Local time
4:18 AM
i just ate a sirloin steak that was so tough ,, it made me want to go back down to the store and tape a hack saw blade to every package of steaks in the meat dept with the words " free hack saw blade , your going to need it " across the package !!!
i would throw it in the yard to feed the bears but i'm afraid the bear would take one bite of it and come looking for me !!!!

i just ate a sirloin steak that was so tough ,, it made me want to go back down to the store and tape a hack saw blade to every package of steaks in the meat dept with the words " free hack saw blade , your going to need it " across the package !!!
i would throw it in the yard to feed the bears but i'm afraid the bear would take one bite of it and come looking for me !!!!
That's a bummer. I sometimes find NY strip to be a bit tough, even after marinating for a day or two. I am not fond of sirloin in general because I find it's often too chewy. I prefer ribeyes or filet mignon, but ribeyes are hands down the best regarding flavor and being tender. I had bought some NY strips recently and did a reverse sear method I found where I baked the steaks at 200F for about 40 minutes, basted them in butter, and then used my chef's torch to sear each side (you could finish in a cast iron skillet or briefly on the grill at a high temp to get the sear). Worked out great! I tried the same method with a ribeye and it was a dumb move, because the steaks actually came out too tender, if you can imagine that! Won't do that again.

I'm not a big fan of sirloin steak. Not a lot of inter-muscular fat in most of it, and it seems stores stock lower grades to sell as a "budget" steak.

CD

About 6 months ago i served porterhouse steaks, this one and only time they were tough. I cant and didn't work out why it was tough?
Just one of those things??

Russ

i always cook all my steaks on my outdoor griddle regardless the weather ,i let the griddle get smoking hot to sear the steak then add the press and they almost always come out nice and tender ,but not this time !!! , we cook a lot of new york strips and never even once had a problem with them , i'm not a big fan of porter house or rib eyes
the wife picked these sirloins up a couple of days ago and in the past some the sirloins we have gotten have been a little tough but never like these

Tough steaks, from my own experience, seem to always come down to not enough inter-muscular fat. I only buy -- at the least -- USDA Choice, and I look carefully at the inter-muscular fat. The better the marbling, the more tender and juicy the steak, from my experience..

CD

yea i cooked it myself , i don't think i did anything wrong , just a really tought peice of meat

Back
Top Bottom