Traditional Christmas meals in your country?

Wow, it sounds very involved Maya. I am sure the final product is delicious, but it seems like you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get there. It seems like it would take all day to make. I like my food to be a bit simpler. However, I can see where someone would really like this. It is the flavor of a country I guess. I had cabbage last night in the form of coleslaw.

Hey dear,
I would gladly give you the recipe, but I would love to add photos, too, because they would help you with making the pie in the exact same way as well do. Therefore, since our Christmas Eve is on January 6th, I would take some photos and post them here then, along with the recipe.
I can briefly tell you the recipe now though, but the thing is there is a special way to fold the pie crust that you have to stretch beforehand using the rolling pin.

Ok, so in a plastic bowl, put 0.5kg of flour, add some pinch of salt, and mix that. Keep adding some lukewarm water while mixing it with your hands. If the pastry gets stuck to your hands, use the other side of the knife to get it off.
Then you pour the mixture on the table - make sure you have some flour underneath. Pour flour on it while kneading it with your hands, making it in a ball.
Then you cut small pieces from this big piece, usually in the size of a baby fist.

You would need 13 balls:
5 of those for the first crust that will go under the whole pie in a casserole.
2 for the first middle crust
2 for the second middle crust
4 for the main crust that will be put on top of the whole pie.

The mixture for the inside of the pie:
One middle size cabbage head (sour)
One leek
Oil
Process: you cut the cabbage in small pieces with a knife, leek too, place both in a pan with oil in it, and fry until it is well fried. Leave it on the side to cool off a bit while you are making the crusts.

Make sure you cut some leaves of sour cabbage in really small pieces, you will need maybe half of the cabbage head. You put
Each of these pieces you have to knead with your hands, making them in a circle and arranging them on the table accordingly.
Then, for the first crust, you need to stretch it using a rolling pin and make circles in the size of adult palm, a bit bigger perhaps. After you stretch each of the five, you need to put one on top of the other, making sure you use some oil in between them - you 'glue' them together with oil. Put some oil on the last one (less than on the others) and sprinkle some flour on top of oil. Leave it to rest while you make the other circles.
For the first middle crust, you have to do the same process, but instead of 'gluing' 5 circles, this time you glue only two. Leave to rest.
For the second middle crust, the same as for the first middle crust.
For the last man crust, you 'glue' the 4 circles.

Then, you take the pile of 5 for the first crust, sprinkle some flour on it, and using the rolling pin, you stretch it as much as you can, so that you have some extra crust that goes over the edges of the casserole when you place it in it. You sprinkle some oil on the curst, and add some of the mixture of cabbage and leek with your fingers, put a little bit over the crust, not too much or not too little, depending how much you want to taste it once it is done.
Then, you take a pile of 2 and you do the same. When you make the crust, in the size of the inside of the casserole, you put it on top of the first crust but try to put it unevenly like wrinkled skin, make wrinkles. Do the same with oil and cabbage.
Then, take another pile of 2 and repeat everything, with the wrinkles, oil and cabbage, but this time, make sure you don't put the cabbage and leek all over the crust,but only on the outside circle, because you will use the first crust that has some ends going over the edges of the casserole, to cover the outer places of the last crust. It should look more like a flower, with its middle in the shape of the circle with no cabbage there. Cabbage and leek mixture should be only on the outer sides of the last crust, which would be covered with the crust that was put first in the casserole, actually with the edges ( I hope you understand this, I wish we made it now so I could put some photos).

Then, you put it in the oven on 200 degrees and you wait until it bakes (check the colour of the final crust - should be brownish).
Cut in smaller pieces as you wish (like a pica or in squares). Enjoy.

P.S, Make sure your casserole is bigger, not those small American ones, but bigger like maybe 2 or 3 times those. Then It would look like a real Serbian cabbage pie.
I hope I made it understandable..
Gosh! This is beginning to sound much more complicated than I thought. The stretching of the dough and 'piling' it seems a little like making filo pastry. After reading you instructions a few times, I think I understand the principle. I'll wait until you post the picture of yours before I attempt it! I have two questions:
  1. What kind of flour? We have two main types of white flour in the UK - plain flour (used for pastry and cake) and bread flour (strong flour) which has a high gluten content and is used for bread.
  2. You mention sour cabbage. I'm presuming I need to make it myself? I think @djordjem87 might have posted something about that.

Wow, it sounds very involved Maya. I am sure the final product is delicious, but it seems like you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get there. It seems like it would take all day to make. I like my food to be a bit simpler. However, I can see where someone would really like this. It is the flavor of a country I guess. I had cabbage last night in the form of coleslaw.
Yes it does sound involved - but I reckon it might be one of those things that sounds complicated when you write it out but (I'm hoping) is simpler than it sounds! I'm going to have a go at this in the New Year. Great that you added your location! :D

It varies by state and region here in the US, but for the most part in our household, Christmas meals were generally "anything but turkey again...". With Christmas coming just a few weeks on the heels of Thanksgiving, we're usually sick of Turkey and instead make a holiday Ham. Beyond that it's usually more standard Italian fare - a "sunday sauce" with a bunch of stewed meats such as pork ribs, meatballs, Italian hot sausage, beef chuck roast, and more. Probably some fancier pasta, such as stuffed shells, cheese ravioli or lasagna to go along with it. I know some Italian families do the whole "Feast of the 7 fishes", but we never did that. At most we might also have some breaded haddock, and maybe some shrimp or calamari.

Being from Jamaica, one very traditional meal is our rice and peas. Now the name itself is very misleading because it is in fact, rice cooked with red peas (kidney beans). It is a must have for anyone living here. To flavour it, we use salted pig tails soaked overnight to remove excess salt, then pressured for a few minutes with the soaked red peas. After pressuring, all this is poured into washed rice along side, fresh thyme, lots of coconut milk, a touch of sugar, chicken noodle seasonings and an entire scotch bonnet pepper. This pepper doesnt make it spicy, it infact imparts a beautiful flavour to this rice dish. The red peas give this dish a darker tone to it since it bleeds a darkish colour.
Here is an example of what it looks like: http://caribbeanpot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/jamaican-peas-and-rice-10.jpg

It is regularly eaten with curried goat/chicken or most other jamaican dishes.

Being from Jamaica, one very traditional meal is our rice and peas. Now the name itself is very misleading because it is in fact, rice cooked with red peas (kidney beans). It is a must have for anyone living here. To flavour it, we use salted pig tails soaked overnight to remove excess salt, then pressured for a few minutes with the soaked red peas. After pressuring, all this is poured into washed rice along side, fresh thyme, lots of coconut milk, a touch of sugar, chicken noodle seasonings and an entire scotch bonnet pepper. This pepper doesnt make it spicy, it infact imparts a beautiful flavour to this rice dish. The red peas give this dish a darker tone to it since it bleeds a darkish colour.
Here is an example of what it looks like: http://caribbeanpot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/jamaican-peas-and-rice-10.jpg

It is regularly eaten with curried goat/chicken or most other jamaican dishes.
I love rice and 'peas'. And the Scotch Bonnet certainly adds wonderful fruity flavour. I use Scotch Bonnets a lot. I often pierce them and immerse in a curry sauce to impart that lovely taste.

As my family and I are French Acadian's we have a few Christmas traditions. We definitely have turkey and seems like we have too much of it. My grand mother always makes seafood casserole which is cheesy goodness full of fish, scallops, lobster and crab I believe. As Acadian's we also make "poutine rapée".
upload_2016-4-12_9-38-34.jpeg

Even I'll admit it doesn't "look" appetizing but it's so good. The outside is a mixture of grated and mashed potatoes and the inside is generally salted pork. I eat mine with a sprinkling of brown sugar. Some people eat it with white sugar, some ketchup and some just plain. It's a traditional dish and for me it's not Christmas without poutine rapée.

Duck is a must in my house - can't do without my Christmas quacker :laugh: I also have turkey and boiled bacon with a honey and mustard glaze, stuffing, bread sauce, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, carrots and Brussels sprouts, with Yorkshire pudding and lovely thick home-made gravy. For afters it's either Christmas pudding or a mince pie with custard or a dollop of cream. Sometimes I have even been known to start off with a home-made vegetable soup. On Boxing Day it's usually the same again (but sometimes with chips instead of potatoes). Then at New Year I have chicken, beef and lamb with various veggies. Tea on Christmas Day and Boxing Day is ham and a selection of cheeses and pickles, followed by home-made gingerbread and Christmas cake. Leftover meat goes in the freezer or in the dog/3 cats. All very traditional, I'm afraid.

I am sure that someone has covered the US but we all pretty much have our own separate traditions for almost every family.. there are the norms such as Roasted turkey, or Ham, Lamb, or Roast some will go all out and do a fish course also. our table looks pretty much the same every year. WAY TOO MUCH FOOD!
This is our menu for Christmas
Roast Turkey (stuffed with traditional sage bread stuffing) and gravy

Servings 6-8

Ingredients

1 package giblets, from turkey

6-8 cups water

For Stuffing

2 tablespoons oil, olive or vegetable

1 medium to large onion, diced

2 cups celery thinly sliced (optional)

2 large teaspoons garlic, minced

1 bag bread cubes (seasoned or not)

1 cube/stick butter or margarine melted

1-2 tablespoons garlic powder (to taste)

3-6 tablespoons ground sage (to taste)

3 to 4 cups broth or giblet water.

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan over medium hit heat. Add giblets and enough water to cover them by at least 2 inches. (about 6-8 cups water). Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes or until done.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium to large sauté pan over medium high heat add the oil and onions and celery (if using). Sautee onion mixture for 3-5 minutes. Turn down and add garlic and simmer over medium low heat for about another 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the celery (if using) are soft.

3. To Assemble: Pour bread cubes into large bowl. Add some of the sage and garlic powder. The onion mixture and half the butter and about 2 to 3 cups of the broth from the giblets. Stirring to incorporate the liquid and spices. Keep smelling to make sure it smells the way you want it to taste. Add spices to taste or smell. If stuffing the bird stop here and stuff the bird. If baking as a side dish, continue. Add the rest of the butter and enough water from giblets to make very moist. Put in pre greased casserole dish and bake until heated through, bake at about 350 degrees until hot all the way through.

Ham, and the pan juices along with the pineapple juices etc, get thickened and poured over the ham

Servings 6

Ingredients

1 6-9 pound spiral sliced ham

1 can crushed pineapple, juices included

2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, or more to taste

2 teaspoons ground cloves, to taste

3 to 6 tablespoons cornstarch

4 to 7 tablespoons water, (add 1 more tablespoon water than cornstarch.)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 to 350 F. Place ham in roasting pan; set aside

2. In a small bowl combine pineapple with juices, brown sugar and cloves stir well to combine. (Should be thick)

3. Pack pineapple mixture over all of outside of ham. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 2 to 3 hours or until ham is heated through.

4. For Gravy: Remove ham from roaster and cover; set aside and let rest. Place the roaster over a burner or pour drippings and any pineapple mixture from roaster into a saucepan. Heat to boiling, meanwhile, in a glass using a fork mix the cornstarch water stir well to remove any lumps. Stirring drippings constantly with a whisk or spoon; slowly add half of the cornstarch mixture, stir and wait for a minute to check consistency. Add more a little at a time until you get the thickness you like.

and the other sides include
Mashed potatoes
Dressing (not the stuffing)
Cauliflower with Currants and Pine Nuts
Green beans with sherried mushrooms
Cranberry Waldorf Salad
dinner rolls
homemade Apple cranberry sauce
pumpkin pie
and
Parfiat pie

http://www.copymethat.com/r/5xWKvQw/parfait-pie/

http://www.copymethat.com/r/HKcVRvR/antoinettes-thanksgiving-dressing/

http://www.copymethat.com/r/KuTg9oQ/cauliflower-with-currants-and-pine-nuts-/

http://www.copymethat.com/r/Vc6v0fz/green-beans-with-sherried-mushrooms-my-r/

For holidays we have: We usually have the usual turkey, ham entree's with potato salad, dinner rolls, vegetable salads and a lot of other sides. What we have as dessert and for drinks are our Rum soaked christmas cake:
Jamaican-Fruit-Cake.jpg

And our infamous Sorrel drink:
jamaican-sorrel-9.jpg

Usually the sorrel is premade way before and kept cold. Then we simply drink it as is or mix it with alcohol.

Christmas when my grandmother made it.
Turkey and Ham. (Meats were always given to her because of granddad's job)
Mashed potatoes and gravy.
Some other vegetable.
I think dressing.
Pecan Pie.
Banana pudding (except for one cousin who got banana pudding without bananas.)

Christmas when my aunt made it.
Turkey
Dressing
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Pinto beans
Assorted pies.
Banana pudding while grandmother was still alive

Christmas when I made it:
2 roasted chickens
Same sides as above
Cardamom sweet potatoes
Aunt made pinto beans and desserts.
Banana pudding while grandmother was still alive.
(We had to transport the food 20 miles to my aunt's house.

Christmas when my adopted daughter made it
Turkey
Ham
All the sides listed above + pinto beans (my aunt), baked beans (my husband's), green bean casserole
All kinds of desserts but no banana pudding.

Oh and always rolls. Usually brown and serve unless I got energetic.

Now that everyone has moved away. Chinese food. Though last year we drove to my mom's and took them out for Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom