Recipe Traditional Russian Beef Stroganoff and chips (fries)

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
1:55 PM
Prep, 1 month before.
Hang a net of potatoes in a dark warm place.
1 hour before.
Slice fillet steak into batons, do the same with onions, cut the mushrooms into slightly bigger batons.
Check your cream is sour enough, if not add lemon juice.
Peel and chip your potatoes, they should look shrunken and feel soft before chipping.. The starch will have turned to sugar. You will not taste it but the thick cut fries will be as crisp as a crisps with a fluffy inside.
Ten minutes before
Put some flour in a bag with Sidney salt and Percy pepper, throw you meat in and coat. Shake off excess in a sieve.

Fry the mushroom in oil and butter till dry, transfer to a plate and wipe your fry pan clean.
The fries should be cooking as this goes on.
Fry onions gently so the do not take color and are al dente. Place on plate and wipe your fry pan clean.
Heat oil and butter in the pan till very hot. Throw in the beef and fry quickly, throw in the onions and mushrooms. mix in quickly then pour in the sour cream. The flour on the meat will thicken the strog to a custard like consistency. The extra crisp fries and the soft creamy strog heaven on a plate.
This recipe was given to me by my Georgian Traif eating uncle little Mo.

Last edited by a moderator:
So these are like the soft shrivelled forgotten potatoes most people throw out?
Yes, except they should not be green, that is why you hang them in a warm dry dark place . Simply remove the sprouts and any soft spots, and your potato should be fine to use in a recipe. As the sprouting process progresses, the potato begins to shrivel, as more and more starch is converted to sugar. Rick Stein is the only Chef who advocates the Russian tradition of eating fries/chips with Strog. His recipe is not traditional because of the paprika option. Beef stroganoff with matchstick potatoes

Last edited:
Prep, 1 month before.
Hang a net of potatoes in a dark warm place.
1 hour before.
Slice fillet steak into batons, do the same with onions, cut the mushrooms into slightly bigger batons.
Check your cream is sour enough, if not add lemon juice.
Peel and chip your potatoes, they should look shrunken and feel soft before chipping.. The starch will have turned to sugar. You will not taste it but the thick cut fries will be as crisp as a crisps with a fluffy inside.
Ten minutes before
Put some flour in a bag with Sidney salt and Percy pepper, throw you meat in and coat. Shake off excess in a sieve.

Fry the mushroom in oil and butter till dry, transfer to a plate and wipe your fry pan clean.
The fries should be cooking as this goes on.
Fry onions gently so the do not take color and are al dente. Place on plate and wipe your fry pan clean.
Heat oil and butter in the pan till very hot. Throw in the beef and fry quickly, throw in the onions and mushrooms. mix in quickly then pour in the sour cream. The flour on the meat will thicken the strog to a custard like consistency. The extra crisp fries and the soft creamy strog heaven on a plate.
This recipe was given to me by my Georgian Traif eating uncle little Mo.

Printed off, I'll try this sometime. I printed ricks as well.

Thanks

Russ

Very interesting. I always assumed that noodles were an integral part of beef stroganoff.

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of wiping the pan clean after cooking the mushrooms (and again with the onions)? I have seen this in many recipes, and I have stopped doing it: I very much prefer the flavor imparted from using a “dirty“ pan to cook the next ingredient.

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of wiping the pan clean after cooking the mushrooms
In this dish if you left bits of the cooked mushroom in the pan and then fried the onions the mushroom bits would burn, if you left both onion and mushroom bits or juices in that pan that you crank up to maximum to fry your beef you would have a disaster mate.

Back
Top Bottom